College Virtual College Cheer Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
I have noticed many Colleges are going to virtual tryouts for this season due to the coronavirus situation. Any thoughts, advice, or tips?

Last edited:
The options are limited, so although video tryouts are one of the only ways to try out right now, they don't give even close to a true indication of what someone can actually do real time and in some cases on real people. I would think most college coaches would consider video tryouts and then make a final cut at some point in time after they can have in person tryouts.

Agreed. I suspect there will be an in person follow up at the start of school for most teams.

I feel like video tryout is probably best followed up by an in person camp or practice week during which cuts can be made?

Think DCC Making The Team: make the team but are still being evaluated & can get cut at any point during their training camp.

Or some schools have everyone make ONE BIG TEAM then sort out who goes on competition, alternates, gameday only, during the summer.

That way no one coasts onto the team and gets super comfortable based on a video they made in April.

Definitely, making a College cheer team would not guarantee making mat for their competition team.

Yes! The above- even with our HS going to virtual tryouts this year... for our comp teams, we made it CLEAR that making the team does NOT mean making the mat... sideline teams we provided a little more flexibility

Yes! The above- even with our HS going to virtual tryouts this year... for our comp teams, we made it CLEAR that making the team does NOT mean making the mat... sideline teams we provided a little more flexibility

We are trying to make a plan for virtual try outs, and it's terrifying. I'm thinking I may do my sideline only with this format, and just wait to create my comp team once I get to know the kids and see their talent and work ethic in person.

We are trying to make a plan for virtual try outs, and it's terrifying. I'm thinking I may do my sideline only with this format, and just wait to create my comp team once I get to know the kids and see their talent and work ethic in person.

When I actively coached, I was sometimes asked to allow video for a kid who was on vacay, had a school trip, etc. and I always decided against it.

How are you all doing it? Literally live on Zoom/BBC/Canvas/etc? Allowing pre-recorded video to be sent in?

Drawback with pre-recorded video is ANYONE LOOKS GOOD IF THEY DID 10 REPS AND PICKED THE BEST ONE.

But on the other hand, if anyone is too good to be true, you'll see it within the first week of practices anyway.

What’s the point in virtual tryouts if practices can’t start anyway?

I’m involved in school cheer and we first considered virtual tryouts, then decided there’s no point. We’ll have them when it’s safe.

I’m not looking to start a fight, just interested in why, in case we’re missing something. :)

What’s the point in virtual tryouts if practices can’t start anyway?

I’m involved in school cheer and we first considered virtual tryouts, then decided there’s no point. We’ll have them when it’s safe.

I’m not looking to start a fight, just interested in why, in case we’re missing something. :)

I feel like they can learn the bazillion cheers at home on their own, so then when we can finally practice I don’t have to waste my time. Also, ordering crap means I need to know my team sooner rather than later.

For College Cheer I think it would be to get talented athletes to choose and commit to your specific College and Cheer program.

NCSU had video tryouts but has not posted teams yet. USC had video tryouts and already made team placements.

Back