Wanting To Switch Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 10, 2014
So my mom has a neighborhood magazine for a wealthy neighborhood and my cheer coach advertises our gym in the magazine. My coach gets three years free advertising and I get three year free cheering. Recently, I have wanted to switch gyms because I feel like its way different than it was when I was little. I don't know how to tell my mom I want to switch to a worlds team gym. I'm scared that when I tell my mom, she won't even consider the new gym (Cheer Central Suns). Help?

Hey! So I do have some ideas...Depending on how old you are, I think that you should stay at your current gym for this season. If you're sixteen or younger, I'd suggest staying one more season. This is because you did miss tryouts, and teams have already been decided for Cheer Central Suns. Even if you did ask to join now, there's no guarantee you'd make a worlds team, because I'm sure they're filled. Unless you're literally perfection, they won't cut a girl to give you a spot after teams have been formed. I still would encourage you to contact them, and see what kind of a spot they offer. The email address to contact them is on their site.
But if you're older than sixteen, and this could be your last chance at a senior level team, I'd suggest telling your mom exactly what you think, and what you want.
Is that deal a contract deal? You could see if you could just break it off...or you could do tumbling classes and open gym in exchange for the promotion, while not cheerin there.
Overall, I really can't give you tons of advice, because I don't know the whole story. If it were me, I'd just talk to my mom, and ask her what she thinks. A conversation can't hurt.
Anyway, good luck! I took stunting classes at CCS.
It's a really nice place :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Cheer central is somthing you should look at for next season! This is my 4th year and haven't had a unsuccessful season! It's truly a family, and no matter what team you'd end up making, you'll love it!

So my mom has a neighborhood magazine for a wealthy neighborhood and my cheer coach advertises our gym in the magazine. My coach gets three years free advertising and I get three year free cheering. Recently, I have wanted to switch gyms because I feel like its way different than it was when I was little. I don't know how to tell my mom I want to switch to a worlds team gym. I'm scared that when I tell my mom, she won't even consider the new gym (Cheer Central Suns). Help?

i think you just go for it. I mean she is your mom? but i know how that can be nerve racking. maybe explain why you wanna, and state it would be better for you in the long run. but also i agree with what some people said above.

Some things to think about:
-Have you already committed to a team for the season?
-What year of the "3 years" would this be? Year 1? Year 2? Last year of the deal?
-Is this something that you will want in a year, 2 years, etc? How long have you been thinking about switching gyms?
-What is the cost difference for your family? Will you be helping them pay that $$$ or will mom have to shell out the dough?
You do not want to burn any bridges when avoidable + Bailing or abruptly leaving when a deal has already been made can get messy very quickly.

Therefore, if this is something that you have been thinking for awhile now,
I suggest you handle the situation as best as you can like a responsible adult:
Keep your 2014-15 commitment but talk & plan for future years to come.

-Talk with your mother about your concerns in a thoughtful and calm demeanor
(NOT "because i want to win worlds" or "I wanna be super star level 5" or "i wanna quit RIGHT NOW because the grass is greener! :rolleyes: That is not a good enough answer nor is it thought provoking) .
How long have you been feeling uncomfortable at your gym? Do you feel that you are at a leveling off point for improving? Is this a temporary problem/feeling or one that has lasted awhile? Is it different coaching? Is the dedication level of the athletes less? Why does it feel different now vs. when you were younger? Get to the deep stuff of why you are not satisfied anymore.
The conversation between you and your mom should be open to talk about questions like this to find a solution for the future. Otherwise, she will just assume you are happy with the current set up and keep it going.

Perhaps, go to some open gyms, a camp, or some tumbling privates at Cheer Central Suns this year to get an idea of the environment & see if you like it. It would be a small step towards that door for next season without breaking the set up your family currently has. Remember for upcoming seasons, at the end of the day, if you aren't happy, the deal your family has is not doing you any good (you get free tuition, they get free ads. If you don't want the tuition though, what good is the deal for your family?).

Back