All-Star Was Cheer Time Revolution Ever Good?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What truly makes a gym good?

What do you use to determine if a gym is good?

Number of athletes,if not growing each season should atleast be pretty stable.

Competition performances, are you capable of making athletes perform to the best of their ability.
Can you teach them to apply what they learn in practice?

Technique/routine composition
Do you teach your athletes proper technique with the right progressions/drills or are you okay with them doing stuff they are not ready for?

As far as the routine goes,with all the boxes that need to be checked to be competitive,can you set up your routine to highlight your teams strength and hide their weaknesses?

Leadership, can you lead from the front and therefor assist coaches/tumbling staff to develop into even greater coaches? This ultimately leads to better/more efficient practices,and thus to better trained athletes which hopefully translates to your competition results. Where,if you don't win,you should atleast see improvements throughout the season on the scoresheets.

Parents/kids
The customers that you ultimately work with/for by delivering a service.
While there will always be a few that aren't happy,the majority of the parents/kids should be satisfied and happy to refer friends to the gym.

Yeah... but I have seen a few other cheer teams take “commits” while also having regular tryouts. (CBU comes to mind?) Is it becoming a thing in college cheer to start recruiting and committing? Plus I’ve seen some “recruitment combines” advertised by some decent programs.

ETA: I use the terms “commitment” and “recruitment” lightly since cheerleading is not an NCAA recognized collegiate sport and I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes (i.e., the legality of the papers signed, scholarships offered, etc.) But this is something I’ve seen more than once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
some programs have invite only tryouts, where commits could be utilized. definitely is intriguing how each programs kind of evolve on their own.

Nothing is official until signing, but it is common for kids to get recruited and get a verbal commitment by junior year. I've known kids with verbal commitments in 9th grade. This is for other sports though, not cheer.

Ultimately you have to be "accepted" by the school, but if you've been recruited, that's a formality. I've been told (by parents whose kids were recruited and signed) that in college, it's the cumulative team GPA that counts. So very talented kids will be accepted even with lower grades because there are also less talented but higher academic achievers that average out the team GPA. So if a coach wants a kid, they have leeway to get them accepted.
that all depends on the power and clout the cheer coach has on the campus. some schools have a well staffed athletics admissions dept that help like you mention, some have to send begging and pleading emails to admissions counselors, some just wait and pray lol

I don't really know much about Navarro, other than it is a junior college. But it seems like kids go there more for cheer than for classes? Am I reading too much into this? Not sure I'd be willing to send my kid to an out of state JC just for cheer.

What truly makes a gym good?

What do you use to determine if a gym is good?

I’m old school so my definition of “good” is pretty myopic: do they win, or at least final. We didn’t really consider anything else when I did AS growing up. This was right around the time AS was just taking off (in Ca) so I don’t think it occurred to anyone to take into consideration non-competitive factors that might enhance a gym’s desirability like you do now. You just went with the gym that could make you the best cheerleader, and that was usually the one that won all the time anyway.

So in the season of Cheer Perfection I watched, they seemed to know what they were doing coaching-wise. They seemed confident they were going to win this one comp (not sure which one it was) and then they got fifth. Not to mention their stunt technique looked a little off, but I sort of wrote it off as due to the age of the kids (never coached kids that young so don’t know).

So anyway to answer your question: are they good? = do they win?

Last edited:
Back