All-Star Watching Other Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I watch it makes me less nervous if I know they hit good I know I better do really good and fight for everything (not that I wouldnt anyway). Also another reason I like to watch is because if we lose then the other girls on the team are like how did so and so beat us and I am like did you not see they hit a great routine, they try making it to where they judges were wrong and that we should win every time.

I usually don't like for my teams to watch their competition in warmups. I feel like that's more intimidating than the competition floor. Beyond that, they can watch whomever they want.

As a parent I like to watch but my opinion and the judges are usually off. I call the coaches backstage if there is something they need to know- like music isn't very loud. If our competition hit a wonderful routine I am very honest with what place I think we will get. I try to never get their hopes on 1st before awards because sometimes there are deductions I am not aware of.

When I was on juniors back in the day our coach would not let us watch. He would sneak and few glances if it was someone in our division but mostly we just did our own thing. As a senior athlete they never really told us not to but most of us didn't. We just focused on ourselves...watching them did not effect our performance. Now as a high school coach I tell the girls not to watch because some of them are huge head cases and worry way too much about other teams and not enough about themselves.

If the team on stage does well, it motivates me. But it they bomb and have falls all over the place it makes me *super* nervous. So I can see how coaches would advise against it.

As a coach, I've never told my girls to NOT watch. However, I do distract them backstage when we're in line so that they don't really think about it. They will ask "is that who we're against?" and I will ask them "Does it matter?" Then we sing The Confidence Song!

Please share!

As a coach, I've never told my girls to NOT watch. However, I do distract them backstage when we're in line so that they don't really think about it. They will ask "is that who we're against?" and I will ask them "Does it matter?" Then we sing The Confidence Song!

Please share!

Please share!

The girls get in a circle and they start out in a whisper, tapping their index fingers together (like clapping with just their fingers so it's quiet) and they sing "I got confidence, my squads gonna see me through, no matter what the case may be, my squad, my squad is gonna be there for me"

They sing it again, louder, clapping this time. Then again, jumping and screaming it.

It's actually a take off from Elvis Presley's Confidence song, if you want to hear the chorus, here's a youtube to give you an idea...we do slightly different, but should hopefully give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSmie_GXJoQ&feature=related

I like to watch other teams so i know exactly what my team is going up against it dosent discourage me it. It helps me get on top of my game cause im competitive like that. My coach encourages us to watch other teams but when we come back to have our minds right for what we have to do.

When I'm in the warm-up area the coaches really don't mention our competitors at all. They usually say stay focused, it's about you not them. The girls on my team always say we shouldn't watch them but some of us do. When i watch a team it inspires me to do better, not to get more nervous! :)

my coaches always say the same thing to us.. like we should be focused on us and not let the other teams or how good thy are affect us. but idc and i still watch anyway if it's a team i like.. personally it has no effect on me. i don't get any more or less nervous than i may or may not be at the time. if a team messes up it doesn't make me feel like i have permission to be more lax about thing, or if they do well i don't feel the need to up my performance which i think is why coaches say that type of thing.. but it's, like, i know what i have to do and i know i'm gonna get it done. period.

it's just watching, but if you are a person that has those types of issues then you probably shouldn't be watching.

Back