We Don't Do That In Cheer.....sorry

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 30, 2013
Hi guys!

So I do take tumbling at a gymnastics gym. And they've been trying to teach me things that they would do in gymnastics. I don't know how to tell them that we don't do that in cheerleading. Like for example, when I do a front tuck off a trampoline into a foam pit, they want me to do a "pike front tuck"? And straighten my legs, not tuck them. I just try to do what they tell me, even though I won't need the skill (although it is nice to have different skills). How do I tell them I need to work on other things?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

This might be a dumb thing to say, but why not take a tumbling class at a Cheer Gym? That's what I do.

My coach is always asking me to do that kind of stuff too. I wanted to work layouts after getting tucks, he suggested pikes. It's a logical progression in the gymnastics world to get you opening your tuck but rotating faster than in a lay. You just don't see them in cheer. There's nothing wrong with doing more progressions to get a harder skill. It will probably make your skill better in the long run because you've worked more progressions.

I think the best thing to do is to be honest. Tell them that you are a cheerleader and those aren't skills you'll use. If they feel that doing them is part of the way they teach proper progression, learn them. But if they are willing to let you move on, move on. Why pay money to learn skills you'll never use?

Having a gymnastics based foundation will make you a better tumbler in the long run.
So true - because it makes you perfect your technique before rushing off to learn the next skill just to be able to throw a janky version of it. Older ex-cp learned back tucks from her cheer coach who did not teach her how to set - she had to relearn that in order to get layout and full. Cp learned from tumbling coach at cheer with extensive gymnastics background so never had to unlearn bad habits.

ETA: I guess the difference really is having a coach who focuses on proper technique regardless of whether their background is cheer or gymnastics.

I had the same problem! I went to a gymnastics gym and he taught me the "gymnastics way" if doing things. I then switched to a gym that was only cheer and they corrected everything I learned. I'm sort of grateful though because now I have graceful gymnastics tumbling! But, I'm still learning the cheer way!

I took tumbling at a gymnastics place. They never told me what I could improve on. A year later I threw a BHS with a spot at an open gym. It was soo close I just get spotted on my snap back now.
To be honest the cheerleaders gave me tips to improve more than the gym did

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

I had the same problem! I went to a gymnastics gym and he taught me the "gymnastics way" if doing things. I then switched to a gym that was only cheer and they corrected everything I learned. I'm sort of grateful though because now I have graceful gymnastics tumbling! But, I'm still learning the cheer way!

Exactly. I need to know how to do tumbling the cheer way.

Yeah it really sucks so I would really recommend switching gyms if you can.

I can't for the summer. I just found a cheer gym that's 8 min away from my house. So I'll probably do that in the fall and school year, and I'll probably take 1 tumbling class at the rays. I don't want my parents to waste money on me learning gymnastics stuff..

I can't for the summer. I just found a cheer gym that's 8 min away from my house. So I'll probably do that in the fall and school year, and I'll probably take 1 tumbling class at the rays. I don't want my parents to waste money on me learning gymnastics stuff..

No I totally agree. My gymnastics tumbling place was like 5 minutes from my house but he wasn't teaching what I needed so now I'm at a gym 30 minutes away. It's so much better though honestly because I'm learning what I want and need.

Latest posts

Back