High School Well...it Happened...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2015
15 years of coaching...

And today I threw a kid out of practice for the very first time. I've never had a reason before. I respect my athletes, they've always respected me. Not today. It was tough.

Sorry. It sucks when you get to that point and finally break.

If it makes you feel better I once booted a whole team from practice for disrespect.

**See I can play nice with others**

Sorry. It sucks when you get to that point and finally break.

If it makes you feel better I once booted a whole team from practice for disrespect.

I've done that before, but typically because of a team-wide lack of effort.

That sucks. But also good for you. I work with kids k-5 and sometimes "tough" love is really needed for a change to happen. It's not easy, but it can often be the best thing for them. Hopefully it is not something you will have to experience again soon though!

I've done it only once. Two girls, the first year I coached at my school. Still all these years later, I can remember the details perfectly. I say it was harder on me than them, but it did the trick. One of the kids didn't make it through that season, but the other thrived and came back. Watched her grow up and get her life together. Now she's teaching special needs at the HS, bought her first house and is getting married. The fact that she still keeps in touch with me and texts me life updates makes me know "tough love" helped her get her act together.

As for the whole team... well, I have no issue ending practice or kicking them out if the situation calls for it. Whatever it takes to get through to them some times.

I'm actually getting to this point with one of my girls, visibly hates being at practice, wants to talk to whole time but then when we go to do the motions to counts she's the first one to say "wait I don't know what were doing"

We do a team chant at the end of practices and last night we just did "mascot on 3" 1 2 3 ____" and she stood on the outside of the huddle and put her pinky in I was like what is that?

Its becoming a problem !

I have heard the same thing that it is harder on the coach than it is the athlete but whatever it takes!

I've done it only once. Two girls, the first year I coached at my school. Still all these years later, I can remember the details perfectly. I say it was harder on me than them, but it did the trick. One of the kids didn't make it through that season, but the other thrived and came back. Watched her grow up and get her life together. Now she's teaching special needs at the HS, bought her first house and is getting married. The fact that she still keeps in touch with me and texts me life updates makes me know "tough love" helped her get her act together.

As for the whole team... well, I have no issue ending practice or kicking them out if the situation calls for it. Whatever it takes to get through to them some times.

Whoa, did not think you were that old to have coached kids now beyond their college years.

Whoa, did not think you were that old to have coached kids now beyond their college years.

Yes and no. Girl from this story is 23 now, that's my oldest group from this school... which makes me feel ancient! I wasn't much older than the girls when I started. Looking back, I'm not sure why the school gave the job to someone just a few years older than the kids!

Yes and no. Girl from this story is 23 now, that's my oldest group from this school... which makes me feel ancient! I wasn't much older than the girls when I started. Looking back, I'm not sure why the school gave the job to someone just a few years older than the kids!

Okay. I feel better with that answer.

Is anyone else have a problem with seniors taking their "seniority" too far ?

example: a girl made a semi-harmless comment on the mat about another girl because she was getting snippy about her spot and the snippy senior called her out and started yelling at her "don't talk to a senior that way" and I was like are you kidding me? You are supposed to be setting the example !

Is anyone else have a problem with seniors taking their "seniority" too far ?

example: a girl made a semi-harmless comment on the mat about another girl because she was getting snippy about her spot and the snippy senior called her out and started yelling at her "don't talk to a senior that way" and I was like are you kidding me? You are supposed to be setting the example !

oh God, I did my junior year. Same deal.

Back