High School Well...it Happened...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Anyone have any issues with girls giving an attitude when you switch their formations - more specifically, their stunt groups? I had one ridiculously solid stunt group and one that was struggling, so I switched the flyers. Now both groups can hit, but the flyer who used to be on the better group is pissed off and making her new group feel terrible by crying and rolling her eyes at them. When I talked to her she said something along the lines of, "Well it's not my fault that they're bad but you're punishing me."

I already tried telling her it was a compliment because I trust her enough to fly on this less experienced group, and that it was in the best interest of the team, but she's definitely gotten very standoffish since the change. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on what else I could do.

The ironic thing is, and I mentioned this, that last year she was actually brought up from JV to Varsity. She flew on experienced bases who did the same thing to her (rolling their eyes, getting pissed that they had a flyer that was 'terrible', etc.), and the team constantly got down on her for not 'being on their level'.

She's a good kid and an amazing cheerleader, but this attitude is really putting a damper on her new group, and I can definitely tell it offends them. This is only my second year coaching this team so any tips and tricks would be appreciated - I coached younger kids beforehand and never had these issues!
This may just be me, and it may be harsh, but I don't put up with attitude like that. That's the fastest and easiest way to make me lose it at practice, and the new kids learn that real quick. I like to remind them that I do what's best for the team as a whole... period. If they don't like their new group, formation, etc then they don't have to be in it. It's amazing how quick a girl can get over it, when she realizes her only option is sitting next to me while an alternate takes her spot. I just have absolutely no tolerance for the "I'm too good for this spot attitude."

This may just be me, and it may be harsh, but I don't put up with attitude like that. That's the fastest and easiest way to make me lose it at practice, and the new kids learn that real quick. I like to remind them that I do what's best for the team as a whole... period. If they don't like their new group, formation, etc then they don't have to be in it. It's amazing how quick a girl can get over it, when she realizes her only option is sitting next to me while an alternate takes her spot. I just have absolutely no tolerance for the "I'm too good for this spot attitude."

This is why I've pledged my eternal love to you.

Well, I didn't have to kick anyone out at our home game Friday but two of my girls saw themselves out -- they didn't go to school Friday and the school rule is if you don't go to school you cant participate in practice and if it is on a Friday you cant participate in weekend activities either. It is a school rule not mine but when they started stretching as a team I asked who didn't go to school and they raised their hands and I said unfortunately you cant cheer tonight and before I could even offer them to work the bake sale they had their uniforms ripped off and they stormed out and called their parents who then came to pick them up and they yelled at us coaches - but like - it is a school rule not mine.

I had 4 girls out of 19 out on Friday and they all had to sit out .. 2 decided to stay and support their team like they should and the other 2 cried to daddy so they came and got picked up. It was a nightmare, Id be shocked if they came to our next practice.

Well, I didn't have to kick anyone out at our home game Friday but two of my girls saw themselves out -- they didn't go to school Friday and the school rule is if you don't go to school you cant participate in practice and if it is on a Friday you cant participate in weekend activities either. It is a school rule not mine but when they started stretching as a team I asked who didn't go to school and they raised their hands and I said unfortunately you cant cheer tonight and before I could even offer them to work the bake sale they had their uniforms ripped off and they stormed out and called their parents who then came to pick them up and they yelled at us coaches - but like - it is a school rule not mine.

I had 4 girls out of 19 out on Friday and they all had to sit out .. 2 decided to stay and support their team like they should and the other 2 cried to daddy so they came and got picked up. It was a nightmare, Id be shocked if they came to our next practice.

If the parents yelled at the coaches you know EXACTLY where the girls attitudes come from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the parents yelled at the coaches you know EXACTLY where the girls attitudes come from!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This! Most of my 'drama' stems from the girls feeding off their parents and/or parent v. parent drama. It drags the team down and its so annoying. I always tell my team, when we step into this gym its cheer for 2 hours. Forget about what happened in school, what mom or dad said, any other drama going on in your life (unless it's super serious - then come talk to me) and just focus on your team for 2 hours.

Well, I didn't have to throw them out, they took themselves out of the equation and now I have to rework my entire routine in 4 practices and we have competition on sunday.

Not fair to the team at all - I actually had to sit outside and gather my thoughts for an hour and get some air because the next things to come out of my mouth would not have been nice to them

I just don't take kindly to high school, diva, holier than thou attitudes. It sets me right off.

Well, I didn't have to throw them out, they took themselves out of the equation and now I have to rework my entire routine in 4 practices and we have competition on sunday.

Not fair to the team at all - I actually had to sit outside and gather my thoughts for an hour and get some air because the next things to come out of my mouth would not have been nice to them

I just don't take kindly to high school, diva, holier than thou attitudes. It sets me right off.
That's probably the best thing that could have happened. Staying on the team with their poisonous attitudes would have been far worse.
When I was a sophomore, a senior got kicked out of practice because she went off on me because I didn't bow down to her. On this particular team, the seniors were suppose to be the 'scary' and authoritative figures especially this particular girl. So while the other sophomores were scared of this girl, I wasn't. She made some rude comment about how I was in the wrong place when we were getting a new formation, and I guess she didn't like my answer. She threatened to fight me, I told her go ahead, our coach kicked her out. That's just my story. My seniors my sophomore year were full of issues, my HS coach says it was the worst drama she ever dealt with in 15 years of coaching.

My year tried to do the same thing, but honestly I've never thought about seniority as the leadership quality or something that gives you some status. I always thought skill spoke volumes and I out skilled most of my HS teammates so I was in my own bubble.
On the parent-child reflection... I have to wonder how this girl's parents were to the coach. Your new coach sounds awesome.

That's probably the best thing that could have happened. Staying on the team with their poisonous attitudes would have been far worse.

On the parent-child reflection... I have to wonder how this girl's parents were to the coach. Your new coach sounds awesome.

Lol, well ironically there was very little parent-coach interaction on this team. My school, though in the suburbs had a little parent involvement. This girl did think she was the bee's knees, and I know that's bc her mother perpetuated it. This was the new coaches first season, and the old coach had always favored the senior girls so everyone was shook.

I saw your tweet about coaches changing things. Our girls just got the first cheer banner for the school! 2nd place with a very young team. My coach said every alum she talked to (including me) said they were crying.

Lol, well ironically there was very little parent-coach interaction on this team. My school, though in the suburbs had a little parent involvement. This girl did think she was the bee's knees, and I know that's bc her mother perpetuated it. This was the new coaches first season, and the old coach had always favored the senior girls so everyone was shook.

I saw your tweet about coaches changing things. Our girls just got the first cheer banner for the school! 2nd place with a very young team. My coach said every alum she talked to (including me) said they were crying.
That's really sweet.

In the same boat, I have a senior who thinks she runs things and is the best thing there is, WAKE UP CALL, the team doesn't revolve around her it's going to go on without her. Unfortunately her mother just agrees with everything her daughter tells her so.....we'll see how tomorrow goes.

In the same boat, I have a senior who thinks she runs things and is the best thing there is, WAKE UP CALL, the team doesn't revolve around her it's going to go on without her. Unfortunately her mother just agrees with everything her daughter tells her so.....we'll see how tomorrow goes.
How did it go?

Not as bad as I thought it would be. Her mom happened to catch her in the act this time. She was in the middle of telling one of my JV girls how bad she was and how she shouldn't tryout next year. Mom saw and heard the entire thing. Didn't end well for her. It's sad it's taken her mom 4 years to finally see what we've been telling her, but at least she understands now.

Not as bad as I thought it would be. Her mom happened to catch her in the act this time. She was in the middle of telling one of my JV girls how bad she was and how she shouldn't tryout next year. Mom saw and heard the entire thing. Didn't end well for her. It's sad it's taken her mom 4 years to finally see what we've been telling her, but at least she understands now.
Nasty! Glad she was caught.

Us coaches got so fed up with attitudes yesterday that we almost packed up our stuff and put them back on the bus to competition and went home.. They turned their day around but we got so fed up with this crap all effing season.. Yesterday a girl was sitting in her seat on the bus and was actually asked to get up and move so this girl could sit with her friends and we were not having any of that! I can handle a little drama here and there, but we have had something from start to end of the season.. Its exhausting!

Back