All-Star What All Is Your Booster Club In Charge Of?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 14, 2017
What kinds of things do booster clubs typically raise money for and handle? We have a fantastic booster club and they help raise money for coaches hotel fees, team bonding, gym banquet etc. which I think is wonderful. They also raise money for better seating in the parent viewing area. Am i wrong for thinking this is something the gym should purchase instead of the booster club? (The poor visibility is the source of many many parental complaints. They are also in charge of hotel blocks and all competition travel arrangements. Is this normal? I sometimes feel like they are in charge of a lot and some things slip through the cracks.

Just wondering what is the “norm” for these types of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay for better viewing? What's that?

I've seen a wide range of booster club responsibilities. Some were only in charge of spirit activities (team bonding, coach gifts, parent bonding, banquets, etc) and others that were unpaid gym employees in charge of ordering apparel, uniforms, booking competitions, booking hotels, etc.

I don't know that there is a norm, really.

What kinds of things do booster clubs typically raise money for and handle? We have a fantastic booster club and they help raise money for coaches hotel fees, team bonding, gym banquet etc. which I think is wonderful. They also raise money for better seating in the parent viewing area. Am i wrong for thinking this is something the gym should purchase instead of the booster club? (The poor visibility is the source of many many parental complaints. They are also in charge of hotel blocks and all competition travel arrangements. Is this normal? I sometimes feel like they are in charge of a lot and some things slip through the cracks.

Just wondering what is the “norm” for these types of things. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there's a new spin on Pay Per View.:confused:

I'm all for volunteering when possible to help keep costs down, however, anything that requires a contract IMO should be signed by the owner, and at the very least, overseen by a very responsible employee. There's always the possibility of members quitting, mass exodus, refusing to comply, doing damage, backing out last minute, or just human error occurring with dates and requirements. A gym owner has leverage to recoup those losses via their gym contract, or raising fees the next year. I'd hate to think a well meaning parent is signing contracts trusting that someone will come to their financial rescue if something happens. Do you know who is signing for and responsible for contract requirements on hotel blocks, banquets, and activities? Honestly, either way it concerns me, whether it's the owner signing and relinquishing contract responsibilities to a group of parent volunteers or a well meaning volunteer signing and managing the contracts. Financial responsibilities on that scale can't have things slipping through the cracks without monetary consequences that ultimately cost everyone in the long run.

Pay for better viewing? What's that?

I've seen a wide range of booster club responsibilities. Some were only in charge of spirit activities (team bonding, coach gifts, parent bonding, banquets, etc) and others that were unpaid gym employees in charge of ordering apparel, uniforms, booking competitions, booking hotels, etc.

I don't know that there is a norm, really.

The seating now is rows of chairs and not enough chairs once teams and rec classes are all there together so they are raising money to purchase bleachers after a lot of complaints from parents not being able to sit or see their kid.

Well, there's a new spin on Pay Per View.:confused:

I'm all for volunteering when possible to help keep costs down, however, anything that requires a contract IMO should be signed by the owner, and at the very least, overseen by a very responsible employee. There's always the possibility of members quitting, mass exodus, refusing to comply, doing damage, backing out last minute, or just human error occurring with dates and requirements. A gym owner has leverage to recoup those losses via their gym contract, or raising fees the next year. I'd hate to think a well meaning parent is signing contracts trusting that someone will come to their financial rescue if something happens. Do you know who is signing for and responsible for contract requirements on hotel blocks, banquets, and activities? Honestly, either way it concerns me, whether it's the owner signing and relinquishing contract responsibilities to a group of parent volunteers or a well meaning volunteer signing and managing the contracts. Financial responsibilities on that scale can't have things slipping through the cracks without monetary consequences that ultimately cost everyone in the long run.

I don’t know who is actually signing contracts. All I know is the info the parents get regarding those things comes from the booster club and we are to direct any and all questions regarding hotels etc. to the club.

The seating now is rows of chairs and not enough chairs once teams and rec classes are all there together so they are raising money to purchase bleachers after a lot of complaints from parents not being able to sit or see their kid.

So this is for at the gym then and not at competitions? Cause I will admit my first thought was that was confusion cause I was thinking competitions...

Oh, I thought you meant at competitions.

Just wondering what is the “norm” for these types of things.

Better seating in the parent viewing is NOT booster club job! Booster club should be 501c and therefore not a penny can go to the gym/owners.

Back