All-Star What Are The Signs Of A Struggling Gym/program?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
I admit, the Gymtyme thread (and some of the USASF discussion as well) has me a little worried as a new All Star parent. Has anyone written a good article or something on what are signs that a gym might be experiencing financial trouble or otherwise struggling?

I don't know of any articles. Some things to pay attention to: large staff turnover or eliminating coaches during the season and not replacing them; gym cancelling competitions and not crediting your account for the competition fees (it amazes me how often this happens- it is theft); equipment being worn out and not being replaced; building maintenance - are there roof leaks not being repaired, etc; gym owner asking for donations for basic business supplies, etc.
No one thing is a sure sign that a gym is in financial trouble, but if a combination of these things are happening, it may be time to look elsewhere.

I don't know of any articles. Some things to pay attention to: large staff turnover or eliminating coaches during the season and not replacing them; gym cancelling competitions and not crediting your account for the competition fees (it amazes me how often this happens- it is theft); equipment being worn out and not being replaced; building maintenance - are there roof leaks not being repaired, etc; gym owner asking for donations for basic business supplies, etc.
No one thing is a sure sign that a gym is in financial trouble, but if a combination of these things are happening, it may be time to look elsewhere.

Totally agree with all of this. Also - not knowing what size gym you are talking about - keep an eye out for the number of athletes who double/triple team. It's not abnormal for some to double team and sometimes triple team especially at smaller gyms, but it's not normal for say, 10+ athletes triple teaming; and the amount that are double/triple teaming increasing. Same goes for new athletes promised to be on a level team in which they don't have the skills for -- sometimes done just to get them in the door.

I have a list of things that I heard about through the years that could be indicative of a gym struggling. The most important was already mentioned. If a gym cancels comps at the very last minute and does not schedule a new comp or refunds money, it is a major sign. Yes, sometimes a team might have to pull out due to injuries, but a gym as a whole would worry me (unless they voiced concerns about athlete safety or the event itself). The numbers are insane when you add up the total that a gym can make by pocketing prepaid fees and never attending. For example, 123 athletes who don't attend a mid-level comp at $110 = over $13,000.

Paying for uniforms and practice gear in May but not receiving it until mid-January is another. Same goes for music. Smaller gyms sometimes experience a delay in these products, but you should never be competing in practice gear if you paid in eight months earlier. Constant staff turnover is another potential sign. How do they treat their families? Do they have a closed door policy when you want to talk with owners, and retribution against your child if you do speak up? Look at the facility. Is the bathroom disgusting? Is it in disrepair? Are the doors falling off? Is there soap and toilet paper in the room? Send an email or leave a message, and look at how long it takes for a reply. Does the front desk seem understaffed? Does the staff look happy?

Do they constantly advertise discounted services? Did they offer your child a higher level than they should have, or guarantee a certain position without meeting them? Are they recruiting athletes who are on other teams? Are they making you sign a ridiculous contract with no way out of paying if your child is sick, hurt, bullied, or hates it. Is the staff extremely young? Are many of the coaches high school aged? Are they certified?

Do they always register at the last minute for comps, especially ones that have been on your schedule from the beginning, and you paid for? I would get especially wary of this if it is a comp where you are expected to fly to. If you are expected to invest in an event and pay ahead of time, so should they.

Do they do in-house choreo or do they hire someone? (This one is not always a factor. The gym where we are at now, has amazing choreographers on staff, and I am thrilled with Cp's routines, but some other gyms might be cutting corners by trying to do it themselves when they don't have the expertise just to save money. Same goes for making their own music, or printing their own gear.)

Are they truthful when they talk about their successes? Watch for a gym who specifically says that they go to Dallas or Disney. Do they mean NCA and Summit or Craptastic Nationals?

There could be many explanations if you see just one or two of these things happening. It doesn't necessarily that they are having issues, but a combination of them would make me very wary.

I really agree with everything the others have said, all such good points. Also, check out the parent room. If people are ranting and raving, huddled in corners gossiping or generally complaining you have to wonder not only why are they so unhappy but why they have not been asked to leave if they so openly share their misery? Neither are good signs...

As a person who had been at a gym when it should down here are some things to look for
-paying for a uniform then having to "share" because your uniform hasn't came in yet or not get them till late in the season
-going to few competitions that are cheap and not many gyms are at
-not being given any type of recite or proof of paying your fees (they will try to make you pay them twice)
-the gym itself being kinda dirty not getting the mats cleaned
-tumble tracks and mats that are falling apart but not being replaced even when Thur become dangerous to use
-getting rid of coaches then not replacing them with a new coach
-low number of athletes *dont get this confused with a small gym* I mean when you have over 10 crossovers but only two teams

That's all I can think of right now but me and my parents experienced all that at my old gym that shut down mid season hope I could help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, parents who talk in the parents room about something they don't like about the gym should be asked to leave??

That's not the impression I got from that post... they state that if there is constant general complaining about the gym in the parent room, there's a right to wonder why. They never mentioned that anybody should be asked to leave. I'm assuming the poster meant to say *constant* complaining. Because I'd agree, there is definitely a right to be concerned when you have different parents complaining about everything the gym does constantly.

So, parents who talk in the parents room about something they don't like about the gym should be asked to leave??
@CLynn I understand. There are two types of complaining in a gym, issue related and Suzie related. If it is issue related, take heed and listen. If it is Suzie ranting and gossip, a good or thriving gym would generally close practice or remove those parents from the parent room, whereas a struggling gym wouldn't risk losing any customer.

I didn't take it as that. Our gym has a policy about gossiping, I think it's three strikes and you're not allowed in the viewing area. There's a difference between bringing up concerns and gossiping, and there's also a time and place for concerns which generally isn't the parent room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Well if the beatings didn't work, what other recourse does a gym have? ;)

Thank you @catlady and @FloridaFlya, you've both captured what I meant to say more effectively than I apparently did.

If it is Suzie ranting and gossip, a good or thriving gym would generally close practice or remove those parents from the parent room, whereas a struggling gym wouldn't risk losing any customer.
Exactly. There are times when a successful gym WILL cut their losses.

Well if the beatings didn't work, what other recourse does a gym have? ;)

Thank you @catlady and @FloridaFlya, you've both captured what I meant to say more effectively than I apparently did.

Exactly. There are times when a successful gym WILL cut their losses.

I think this is part of what makes them successful. Knowing that one bad apple can ruin the environment for everyone. I know of at least one gym where parents have cussed out the coach in front of kids, parents, strangers. And the parent and child are still allowed to remain in the program. It is a toxic environment where people walk on eggshells wondering what will happen next. IMO, a successful gym would terminate that child's contract or at the very least, require a different parent/guardian to be the childs' representative at the gym.

I take cleanliness very seriously:

If that mat has not been vacuumed since Worlds of 2008, I am raising an eyebrow.

Watch out for other services that are suddenly canceled but have already been paid for and refunds are not issued, such as buses to/from competitions.

Back