All-Star What Are The Signs Of A Struggling Gym/program?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To be honest, I have no idea whether or not our prior gym was having financial problems but I can tell you I 100% side-eyed when the final competition schedule came out and we weren't on it. Then owner spent hours (during practice so completely visible) fixing the situation. Then we arrive and not a single piece of paperwork was done---like waivers and such. So while I can't say they are or aren't hurting, I can tell you their lack of organization lead didn't give me hope of how the business side was fun. We left and won't be returning.

Other warnings signs are a HUGE emphasis on family and being one and loyalty. A good gym will let their product speak for themselves, a not so great gym will harp on loyalty and never leaving. They'll also let parents get away with murder, so to speak.

Other warnings signs are a HUGE emphasis on family and being one and loyalty. A good gym will let their product speak for themselves, a not so great gym will harp on loyalty and never leaving. They'll also let parents get away with murder, so to speak.
THIS THIS THIS!!
Also always interjecting that it's "great to be a part of xyz gym" on every post. I absolutely love my gym but I see a post from my gym and I'll keep scrolling or just give it a like but I notice that people from gyms that are known to be struggling will overpost how lucky and BLESSED they are to be a part of that gym and have all kinds of hashtags to go along with it.

Watch out for other services that are suddenly canceled but have already been paid for and refunds are not issued, such as buses to/from competitions.

This! not delivering on items promised is another sign too. Like saying 3 sets of practice gear are included in the fee
and only delivering two sets. Or that quote included sneakers and they never arrive.

If you have multiple people who work the front desk make sure they are all communicating with each other. Make sure if you pay a fee it is written down or put in their system. Don't ever walk away from the desk and not know 100% your payment is documented.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have multiple people who work the front desk make sure they are all communicating with each other. Make sure if you pay a fee it is written down or put in their system. Don't ever walk away from the desk and not know 100% your payment is documented.

And to this, I don't recommend paying in cash---ever. Whether you use a card or a check, it pays to always have that back up. When younger was in a different activity a close friend of mine---who I watched pay for something---was later told she hadn't paid for her daughters end of the year gift. It was resolved, but because she paid in cash she had no way to bring up a cancelled check or card statement.

When the gym allows parents to dictate placement out of fear of losing an athlete. When 75% of teams are crossing up & down. When owner gives parents authority to dictate a team's level despite kids lacking the skills just so the parents won't leave (but how unfun is it to lose all season??). When a lack of athletes forces those without the appropriate skills (or are over-skilled) to be on teams they aren't safe to be on. When you're asked to put a credit card in file & are reassured it won't be charged w/o express permission---and they charge you anyway & won't refund. When there's zero transparency & communication is weak or non-existent or ignores questions/evasive.

When the gym is on a coach firing merry-go-round & all the new hires are under the age of 23 & aren't USASF-certified. When they're building teams around one or two "superstars" and blatant favoritism has run off 75% of the gym's families in the past few years. When gym is still resting on laurels from accomplishments 5+ years ago. When you're forced to sign a big contract that favors the gym regardless of extenuating circumstances (injury, job transfer etc). When staff screams out of desperation rather than coaching. When they charge $700 for a $300 uniform & refuse to allow paid bids to benefit the athletes but instead $$ goes to the owner.....people get fed up & people leave & gyms fail.

what are some signs that a gym is struggling?
  1. enrollment goes down
  2. costs goes up
  3. Parents lose faith in Coaches and in their program
  4. difficulty filling a team (allot of crossovers?)
  5. Not as much success at comps (less top placements)
  6. mass exodus of parents, kids and coaches

#1 What do you know about the gym? IE How long have they been in business? Who are the Owners/Owners?
Do you due diligence and check Google, Facebook, BBB etc on both the gym and the owners. You hopefully be able to see things like did the gym recently change names, did the owner(s) use to own another gym or have they been in trouble.
Also remember regardless of industry only 20% of new businesses survive their first year.

#2 Ask for a tentative competition schedule
Then check the schedule to see if they actually attended similar events(you can google the team name as well with the work results and you should be able to see what comps they did unless it was xtreme spirit that doesn't post results). It should be pointed out the actual results don't matter, it is whether they attended.

#3 Are they advertising "new lower fees"?

#4 Are the coaches or tumbling instructors complaining about be paid?
#5 Do they asking for you to do fund raising for the gym that doesn't get applied to your fees?
#6 If they are renting space from a Gymnastics gym and not in their own space, how long have they been there? and What is their relationship with the Gymnastic Owners.
#7 Does the owner take what looks like extravagant trips and vacations but what you know about income doesn't seem to add up to being able to do that?

These are a few off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned.

#5 Do they asking for you to do fund raising for the gym that doesn't get applied to your fees?

Bingo!

This past year, our gym made a huge deal about people not fundraising enough. And also tried to say that the fundraising goes towards your fee's. But that doesn't make sense does it. If I pay my fees in full on time without any difficulty, then I have no need to fundraise. Unless of course, they are getting a cut of the fundraising.

I don't have a problem with the gym getting a cut, but disclose the information. Otherwise, it is shady.

Bingo!

This past year, our gym made a huge deal about people not fundraising enough. And also tried to say that the fundraising goes towards your fee's. But that doesn't make sense does it. If I pay my fees in full on time without any difficulty, then I have no need to fundraise. Unless of course, they are getting a cut of the fundraising.

I don't have a problem with the gym getting a cut, but disclose the information. Otherwise, it is shady.
I have a problem with a gym taking a cut. Fundraising should have nothing to do with the gym and should be under a separate umbrella that cannot be touched by the gym.

When the gym allows parents to dictate placement out of fear of losing an athlete. When 75% of teams are crossing up & down. When owner gives parents authority to dictate a team's level despite kids lacking the skills just so the parents won't leave (but how unfun is it to lose all season??). When a lack of athletes forces those without the appropriate skills (or are over-skilled) to be on teams they aren't safe to be on. When you're asked to put a credit card in file & are reassured it won't be charged w/o express permission---and they charge you anyway & won't refund. When there's zero transparency & communication is weak or non-existent or ignores questions/evasive.

When the gym is on a coach firing merry-go-round & all the new hires are under the age of 23 & aren't USASF-certified. When they're building teams around one or two "superstars" and blatant favoritism has run off 75% of the gym's families in the past few years. When gym is still resting on laurels from accomplishments 5+ years ago. When you're forced to sign a big contract that favors the gym regardless of extenuating circumstances (injury, job transfer etc). When staff screams out of desperation rather than coaching. When they charge $700 for a $300 uniform & refuse to allow paid bids to benefit the athletes but instead $$ goes to the owner.....people get fed up & people leave & gyms fail.
As in, literally screams? Like, the kinds of coaches that don't know how to coach and resort to yelling as a expression of their frustration and desperation?

I have a problem with a gym taking a cut. Fundraising should have nothing to do with the gym and should be under a separate umbrella that cannot be touched by the gym.

I seem to remember that there are specific IRS rules about fundraising. And separate non-profit parent groups are established in order to handle it so the money doesn't mingle. I don't know the details since I have never been involved in the administrative aspect of it. But I do remember there were some knowledgeable people here on FB about the issue. Maybe they can chime in.

I understand that everyone has a different expectation with fundraising. That's why I believe that fundraising should be fully transparent and optional.

Most gyms have a not for profit booster club setup specifically for fundraising. At my current gym, all fundraising funds/donations/sponsor checks are made payable to the booster club. They in-turn will credit the athletes cheer account.

Latest posts

Back