What are the top 3 topics in cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Still trying to get this... if you have good coaches .. there will be progression. If you have had "just throw it" not technical training you will have sloppy technique. That has been discussed on this board in other threads.

How are they going to even try to go about this? Your own gym cant do it. Your own gym is going to credential you at what they feel is right. If they FEEL they taught progression, and that they accept your tumbling they will credential you. If you were to move to another team, they may FEEL it was done incorrectly. (we have all seen teams with pretty tumbling and those that you hold your breath hoping that they have enough height to finish the rotation, or legs apart tucks, or bent knee fulls)

Where would you propose that it take place? Also ... what you estimate the cost of such a process (because nothing in all star cheer is free... lol)? Where would the database be kept? Would all of the competitions be adopting such a system, or just as with the present rules, there be many different interpretations... Also, how would it be used in competition? What would happen if a level 2 credentialed tumbler threw a full without having been credentialed at a level 5?

While it sounds like a good idea, without having a concrete use in competition, as explained, it would make a lot of people jump through a lot of hoops without providing a justifiable need. I could understand and be more accepting of the process if there was a proposed use in competition, to ensure that there is a way to enforce leveling, but then kids like mine get caught in no man's land because they would not level the same across the board.

Or am i really just missing the need for such a thing??

Andre hit the nail right on the head with his response, but if you're looking for more info about credentialing and stuff like that, check some of the other threads in this forum. They are quite informative and lack a lot of the silly banter that takes on in threads on the main boards :)

Sorry for the typos. I shouldn't be allowed to post before noon.

We've talked about this several times, but do you mind expanding for everyone else?

Hopefully, my answer here will be consistent with what I've said in the past...

:)

1. If a competition rule is broken, it should be penalized every time, at every competition whether it's a local or mega nationals.
2. A solution to age violations needs to be found. I think the items discussed at NAB in early April are a great step in the right direction. Having id cards for all athletes will reduce many of the issues we have. But it won't solve it overnight and it won't solve it without every athlete, coach, parent, gym owner and event producer buying in to the program.
3. The change by USASF to rule changes every two years was done just in the nick of time. They need to stick to that schedule and refuse to modify the rules, even if it seems to be the right thing to do in that particular situation. The greater good is served by a consistent process; consistently applied.
4. Rules that cannot be enforced (like the alternate rule for worlds teams) needs to be amended to enforceable language or eliminated.

Andre, hope this is what you had in mind. I'm quite sure I've had plenty of other opinions, so if I missed one of your favorites, let me know.

Universal scoresheets is definitely one of the most important things that needs to take place, but it would be for naught if judges are not qualified and trained properly. I know several people who have been asked to judge who know very little about cheerleading and they are the ones who end up dictating placements at competitions. There needs to be a universal judging qualification standard for each judge including the safety judge. I know of many teams who did not get called for safety violations until worlds and had been doing the same skiill or same routine all year. If judges were all forced to watch and judge the same routines in different levels we would then be able to assess their judging competency and decide whether or not they should be allowed to judge. If you score is close or consistent with a score that has been predetermined by a several qualified judges or personnel then you would be credentialed to judge cheer events. Then if you went to a universal scoresheet it would not matter what competition you went to, judges can judge for anyone and you would begin to see consistent scores and comments that would help teams to improve their routines/scores. If judges are held to a higher standard then the scoresheet changes would be a true reflections of routines on the floor.

jUDGING ! With all the reviews at nca, stars recieving 7s , and the massssss confussion at results everywhere else ... Something needs to be done or the sport with lose allll creditability!

just curious ... What do you consider "cheating" ??

Using athletes that are either too young or too old to participate on the team

Using athletes that CLEARLY were not a part of your program when you received a bid -- IMO being in a tumbling class once or twice does not count as being part of a program. Obviously this is not considered cheating YET, but should be.

kittean -- I have to tell you though, I believe you stated in one of your responses that your CP was a "shaky level 4" flyer. If that is the case, why is she flying on level 5?? Flying level 5 does not make you a better level 4 flyer . . . Flying level 4 consistently and accurately would make her a better 5. I'm not sure I understand that philosophy -- unless I'm misunderstanding you somewhere. I would think her flying level 5 before she's a GREAT level 4 would make it dangerous for all involved??

Judging certification would be awesome. . . Sometimes I feel like at smaller competitions we as coaches know more and see more than the judges.

Judging certification would be awesome. . . Sometimes I feel like at smaller competitions we as coaches know more and see more than the judges.

100% in favor of certification. I've said it before, but I would like to see levels of certification like the coaches/athletes.

Level 1 could judge competitions held in high school gyms
Level 2 could judge locals
Level 3 could judge regionals
Level 4 could judge nationals
Level 5 could judge Worlds

As an example.

We have to find a way to get new, competent judges involved in the sport.

What are the practical advantages of athlete credentialing?

What are the practical advantages of athlete credentialing?

In addition to Andre's comments above, athlete credentialing also helps protect a coach by showing that an athlete is completely capable of performing a set of skills even if they don't at a given time.

I could be very wrong but I don't think athlete credentialing would be very effective overall. A girl could get credentialed at level 5, get a mental block and her coach makes her throw that full twisting head dive anyway. Also, youth age kids can get a new skill every week you might start with a kid that can barely walk and the she is throwing layouts by the end of the month. Do I need to get her recredentialed every time she gets a new skill if I need to use her on a higher level team last minute?

Credentail the coaches definitely. But for kids have them pay usasf membership for insurance and registration reasons.

In addition to Andre's comments above, athlete credentialing also helps protect a coach by showing that an athlete is completely capable of performing a set of skills even if they don't at a given time.

I think it would be hard to keep track of athlete credentialing with fast kids gain and lose skills.

I'm still not sold on a universal scoresheet. I like the idea, but I can't help but think the outcome would be cookie cutter routines with no style.

5 things I want to see changed:
Capping # of Boys in Large Coed
Publically releasing Scoresheets
Capping a "Large Team" to somewhere around 30 athletes
Athlete and Judge Credentialing
Age Guidelines

I doubt making a universal scoresheet would make cookie cutter routines. No matter the competition doesn't it always seem like the same teams place near the top? Why? Because even though all those teams do it very differently good cheerleading is still good cheerleading. Making a universal scoresheet would allow for the judging to be more consistent.

Back