What Are Tumbling Classes Like?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here's my take:
Tumbling classes are set up for repetitions of drills that break down the parts of a skill and teach the strength, conditioning, and muscle memory to do those parts, then the instructor puts them together into the skill with direct instruction. For some kids they are definitely sufficient, especially in the beginning. Some kids either want or need the extra help a private lesson provides.

Private lessons are extra direct instruction on the skill. CP's private lesson coach will work with her for a half hour on whatever she needs to work, with minimal drills then tell her what drills she needs to set up and do on her own after the lesson based on how she did that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The size of the class definitely matters. There were times where cp was maybe one of three in a tumbling class which essentially became a semi-private hour.

I have found for mine that a private or semi-private with the right coach is a much more effective use of time and money.

Not all tumbling classes are the same. It's all dependant on the coach, amount of athletes in class, and their skills. Unfortunately, while some classes may be effective, often times they can be just for fun, hanging out, waiting for others to take their turn, waiting on the coach who might be busy helping someone else, and hoping that everyone in the class has like skills(because it affects the class when the pre-requisites are not met by everyone). If the class time isn't spent wisely especially when an athlete is trying to learn new skills, then privates are best.

I would agree that size matters. I will also say that It gets really, really frustrating for an older kid if there are a lot of little ones in the class at the time. DD's progress basically stopped because of that, and in 20/20 hindsight, I should have moved her sooner. It happens occasionally at the current gym, but there is a flex/conditioning class that starts 30 minutes after tumbling, so if there are too many of the little ones, she can do something more useful to her.

Back