OT What Did You Go To College For?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 18, 2009
at the moment im undecided. I want to be a Sonographer, but that only requires an associates degree & I'm not sure if a associates is good enough to make it the rest of my life !?! Since all I've been told for years is to get a bachelors

If your an sonographer please pm me !

I'm going to be a freshman this fall and I was going to go into radiological sciences which is a four year degree, you can specialize in sonography (that's what my mentor told me). There's quite a few college that offer a four year degree if you decide to do that.

I'm planning on being a physical therapist but first I'm majoring in Human Health Sciences.

If you want to be a sonographer, don't worry that it "only" takes an associate's degree. Look into pay, benefits and opportunities for advancement, and if that's what you're looking for, do it!!!! You can also look into employers who offer tuition assistance, so you can have the best of all worlds - you can have a job that you want, only pay for two years of college, and still get a bachelor's in a few more years to help with career advancement opportunities. Don't knock something that you'd really enjoy just because it doesn't meet society's expectation of success only being attainable with a four year degree.

(To answer your question - I studied nuclear and mechanical engineering, hated sitting in front of a computer all day, so I went back and got a degree in Middle Eastern Studies and Arabic and joined the Air Force Now I'm a stay at home mom kind of wishing I had studied something with more universal applicability like sonography, lol.)

I got my BA in international studies in two and a half years. Now I'm consolidating with an honours year writing a minor thesis (15,000 words) on emerging trends in drone warfare and the extent to which it transcends laws of armed conflict governing proportionality. Aaaaand I have no idea what I'm going to do next. Right now I'm deciding between masters, applying for a phd and burying my head in the sand–leaning heavily towards the last one. I love what I'm studying but I wish I had a clearly defined graduate career path.

So I guess you could say I went to college for the love of learning and I'll hopefully be a better person for the experience... although I'm likely to be unemployable and socially awkward at dinner parties. Any career advice welcomed!

I have a two year diploma in computer science and I have a great paying job as a help desk technician, while its not exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life there is a lot of opportunity to move around into a different group.

The trade college where i went to school is more respected for entry level jobs than a computer science degree.

....I got my B.A in Mass Communication- Broadcast Journalism.

I don't recommend it.

My advice to my sister and all the other kids I know that will be entering college is to major in something with a clear job path. Its a buzz kill sure...but this Liberal Studies, Philosophy, Social Science, Sociology, etc and so forth. Fun now....but when you can't get a job and the student loan people are waiting for you as soon as you cross the stage....Good Luck.

Science and technology (to me) are the way to go.

(Btw. I got my MLIS and now I am a librarian)

(To answer your question - I studied nuclear and mechanical engineering, hated sitting in front of a computer all day, so I went back and got a degree in Middle Eastern Studies and Arabic and joined the Air Force Now I'm a stay at home mom kind of wishing I had studied something with more universal applicability like sonography, lol.)

Haha! I have often thought after getting my degree in engineering and now being a SAHM, that it would have been great to get a "SAHM Degree" with courses in pediatric nursing, general and tax accounting, basic home repair, cooking, home decorating, conflict management, photography, etc.

Or at least a SAHM minor.

OP - I agree with getting some form of 4 year degree as a fall back / supplement to what you want to do. Being a sonographer is great, and being a sonographer with an accounting degree (or nursing, or whatever) would be an added selling point for getting a job later.

at the moment im undecided. I want to be a Sonographer, but that only requires an associates degree & I'm not sure if a associates is good enough to make it the rest of my life !?! Since all I've been told for years is to get a bachelors

If your an sonographer please pm me !

It may only take an associates degree to get started but I am sure that once you build up work experience there are many paths to get advanced degrees and specialize. I wouldn't sell the career field short just because of the entry-level requirements.

If you have the opportunity, get a bachelors in sonography or related major. If that is what interests you, why not take it all the way and complete medical school to be a radiologist?

I got my BA in international studies in two and a half years. Now I'm consolidating with an honours year writing a minor thesis (15,000 words) on emerging trends in drone warfare and the extent to which it transcends laws of armed conflict governing proportionality. Aaaaand I have no idea what I'm going to do next. Right now I'm deciding between masters, applying for a phd and burying my head in the sand–leaning heavily towards the last one. I love what I'm studying but I wish I had a clearly defined graduate career path.

So I guess you could say I went to college for the love of learning and I'll hopefully be a better person for the experience... although I'm likely to be unemployable and socially awkward at dinner parties. Any career advice welcomed!

If you like the academic life, then plenty of people make a living and are greatly valued for their expertise in whatever career field they choose to specialize in.

Using someone else's example Liberal Studies, Philosophy, Social Science, Sociology and History majors can continue on to masters and PhDs to become experts in their subject. You need to work hard to get there, but last I checked college professors make a decent living.

@Shark_Dad one day I'd love to hear your perspective as a military pilot on the increasing use of predator drones :)

@Shark_Dad one day I'd love to hear your perspective as a military pilot on the increasing use of predator drones :)

Message me on facebook/e-mail or whatever. There is always Facebook chat as well.

I start applying this summer/fall since next year is my Senior year of High School and I want to major in Sports Management and minor in Marketing

Back