All-Star What Do I Do If My Bow Or Shoes Flies Off At Competition????

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would talk with your coach to see what he/she wants you to do in that situation. It is also probably a good idea for him/her to have this discussion with the entire team just to make sure that everyone knows what to do. You never know when things like this are going to happen, and it never hurts to be prepared. :)

I believe you do but if you move it, thats one deduction, whereas a shoe in the middle of the floor would probably get stepped over many times, so 1 deduction is better than like 10
For rec, at least, if you step on something (like a shoe, bow, sign, pom) Its like a 5 point deduction. We just kick it out of the way, but make it look like nothing. Don't make it too obvious.
Just tie your laces EXTRA TIGHT. Triple knot your bows. My coach in like 2008 told us to get black zip-ties if you're really concerned about it, and tip zie your hair tie to your bow's hair tie. I've never tried it, since i've never had problems with it falling out, because we hair spray our hair and bow, so it can't move.

Non slip gripper hair tie at your scalp another non slip (or two) about two inches down the pony tail, tie your bow into the space in the middle then slide the far one or two down to the scalp and lock it in. Pin down the tails so you don't look like Minnie mouse if they flip up and voila. Never had a hair bow come remotely close to moving, let alone falling out. Shoes....tie them.

There are those adidas shoe bands or whatever that make sure your shoes don't untie. I also saw a team last season that used prewrap over their laces.

I would make sure to ask the coaches what they want you to do. Last year my cp lost her shoe at a competition:eek:. Now let me say my cp is 9 and I double tie her shoes super tight before she goes on so I was freaking out. Turns out her flyer was coming down in a single leg stunt and she moved to save it and stepped on her heal, when she went forward to get to her jump spot she walked right out of the shoe. Anyway, her coaches had never discussed what to do in this situation so they didn't touch the shoe. Lets just say it would have been better to move it and take any deduction given because after that no one could take their eye off the shoe. I was panicking because after the jumps she had to do a bwo hspring and the shoe was directly behind her. The girls had to do their tumbling passes and it was right in the middle of the floor. You could literally see their brains working trying to figure where to put their hands as not to tumble on it. If one of them had landed on it they could have injured themselves. We didn't get a deduction for the shoe because no one ever touched it but it threw off their performance enough to cost them the win. I was at a comp once where a girl picked up the lost shoe and threw it but she threw it off the front of the stage and it almost hit one of the judges in the face. The whole audience gasped at once. I can't guess what the deduction for that would be?

I would make sure to ask the coaches what they want you to do. Last year my cp lost her shoe at a competition:eek:. Now let me say my cp is 9 and I double tie her shoes super tight before she goes on so I was freaking out. Turns out her flyer was coming down in a single leg stunt and she moved to save it and stepped on her heal, when she went forward to get to her jump spot she walked right out of the shoe. Anyway, her coaches had never discussed what to do in this situation so they didn't touch the shoe. Lets just say it would have been better to move it and take any deduction given because after that no one could take their eye off the shoe. I was panicking because after the jumps she had to do a bwo hspring and the shoe was directly behind her. The girls had to do their tumbling passes and it was right in the middle of the floor. You could literally see their brains working trying to figure where to put their hands as not to tumble on it. If one of them had landed on it they could have injured themselves. We didn't get a deduction for the shoe because no one ever touched it but it threw off their performance enough to cost them the win. I was at a comp once where a girl picked up the lost shoe and threw it but she threw it off the front of the stage and it almost hit one of the judges in the face. The whole audience gasped at once. I can't guess what the deduction for that would be?
I know I shouldn't laugh but the thought of them flinging the shoe off the stage and it almost actually hitting the judges is hysterical.

This is actually a great question to ask your kids....coaches. My guess is you will get a bunch of different answers. I have seen shoes, bows and hair pieces fly off and kids get that priceless bewildered look. :confused: I have also seen really little ones cry. :eek: Do most coaches talk about what to do if_______happens?:help:

Do most coaches talk about what to do if_______happens?:help:
We do! We practice "recovery" with different kinds of typical disaster scenarios.
What if you fall in this part of the stunt? (What is the next part where you can get back into it)
What if the music stops or skips? (we will turn off the music randomly on occasion just to make sure they keep going)
What if there's a shoe or bow on the floor? (ignore it until you're close enough to get it out of the way)
What if someone gets injured? (keep going until we stop the performance if it's serious)
What if you get lost/forget where you're going? (move to the side and take a look at your teammates or look to the coaches)
What if you forget the dance? (go nugget behind everyone else)
What if YOU get injured? (we treat this like a car crash--if you can, pull over and get to the side and wait for help. If you're truly disabled stay where you are and we will get to you quickly).

Sometimes we have a total disaster practice and just do nothing but crazy stuff all night (secretly have someone be "injured", etc). The girls love disaster training. I love it because it arms them with knowledge for even the worst mistakes and they are prepared for pretty much anything and everything.

Back