What do you like/dislike about NCA Dallas?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was one that said I hated that some level 5 teams had to go on so early. I understand that kids on lower level teams have to work just as hard for their skills. I personally think level 1/exhibition teams should go on first in all the competition halls because, regardless of what anyone says, round offs and back walkovers DO NOT require as much focus and energy to perform, nor do preps and thigh stands. I'm not dissing that level, but it would be much more understandable for those skills to be thrown when one is still half asleep.

And as far as "school age" kids being able to compete that early, my CP had to get up at 5:00am both days. She doesn't get up for school until 6:30am. And she doesn't get to school at 8:00am and have to perform very dangerous skills. Don't get me wrong, she hit all of her stuff both days, but I worry about the "what if's". I am very proud of all the youth and junior aged kids who had to pull this off, and I am ESPECIALLY proud of Cali Sm. Jr. Coed for pulling it off when they were 2 hours ahead of their normal body clock schedule!!! However, I do wonder if that had anything to do with their pyramid going down on day 2. I'm sure no one would blame it on that, but I will always wonder if that was a factor.

I will never been in favor of ANY level 5 team having to wake up at 5:00am and compete so early. I know it happens at Jamfest Super and Worlds as well, but I would really like to see this fixed somehow...

I am not saying that level 5's deserve special treatment. The thread is likes and dislikes. I disliked it.

ACEDAD said:
ARI3L said:
JOn that note, at first I didn't like that the arena was all level 5 both days, but it was nice to be able to just sit back & relax after competing in the arena & not have to run back & forth to watch all of the level 5 teams I wanted to see compete.

I'm curious if there were any complaints from any of the lower level teams that got no chance to compete in the Arena this year?

Kids were not complaining but certainly disappointed they were not in the arena on Day 1. I love that levels 1 thru 4 were in the arena on day 1 in years past. Gives the kids and parents a great memory. My CP was in D hall both days and it was a very long walk in that direction also. We missed lots of teams due to the time factor involved. (Although two of her fierce board friends made it a point to make the walk to D hall and see her compete and that is by far her best memory! :hug: )

I love that the scores are posted in the concourse and you can check out what is going on all day long.

The vendors stayed in stock on all items all weekend.

The parking garage was half full and they closed it down on Sunday around noon. Folks were scrambling outside to find parking all afternoon Sunday and they would not let people in the garage to park....very frustrating!

Starbucks needed lots more staffing the entire weekend.

Hey Guys, here is my quick explanation as to why only Level 5 teams gotto experience the Arena at this past weekend's NCA All-Star Nationals:
1st reason - there is no way to get every single team in the arean to begin with. At max, we could have had 1/2 of the teams in the Arena (half on Day 1 and the other half on Day 2).
2nd reason - overcrowding is a real issue when Level 5 teams perform in the A-Hall (as they used to do). By keeping them in the Arena, the other halls were much better contained, and traffic flow was much smoother and safer.
3rd reason - yes, Level 2 athletes work just as hard as Level 5. What NCA is trying to do is create an environment that motivates Levels 1- 4 to continue improving and striving for better skills. So many athletes get burnt out of AS cheerleading because they've done it all. They've won 50 "national titles," they've been Grand Champion, they've done it all. Our hope is that the Arena experience becomes a motivator to that Level 4 Athlete to give it another year, to try that much harder and to practice a little bit later.
- The level 5 athletes DO deserve recognition for maxing out their ability level. In all facets of our competitions, we treat the hardwork of a first year Level 1 athlete the EXACT same way we treat a dedicated 10 year's in the making Level 5 Athlete. They get the same jacket, they get the same trophy, and they get the same title. All of the venues are incredible, but this is an extra treat to those teams that put in the many years to climb up to Level 5 Status.

Level 5 Mom -
I appreciate your 'shout outs' below :)

Level5Mom said:
Parent perspective -

-Arena! There is nothing like it!! This is the best venue ever.
-Awards - I love how Justin Carrier has the top 2 teams shake hands before announcing who won.
-Prizes are the best!! Nothing compares to an NCA jacket.
-Awards - loved how Justin spoke of the youth and junior 5's as all being winners for reaching that level at such a young age.
-The whole production is so well done!! It runs so smoothly!!
-I would like to applaud NCA for stopping the music so quickly when an athlete was injured on the floor. I've never seen it done so fast. Kudos!!
-I loved how the teams line up to watch on the floor after they are done competing day 2!
-The champions circle - I love every part of it! No other competition makes it so special to win.
-I love how NCA announces scores when they come in. Then I know instead of hounding the coaches for our results.

Again, thank you Justin for taking the time to come on here and give us the NCA perspective!!! So greatly appreciated!!!

If you do 40/60 or 50/50 and place teams accordingly, how is that any different than "placement" from 20/80? I just don't like how day 1 has little if no importance but "enough"?

Likes-
-competing in the arena both days
- 20/80 scoring- helps those "day 2 teams" have a chance
-"backdrop" in the arena- and it was good in the halls too from what i saw!
-how awards are done
-the fireworks and lights when the dance started
-the playback that the teams competing got to watch after you get off the mat
-announcing the scores
-that the spotters didnt talk to you while you were on the mat like some others do! haha
-maui wowies <3
-they had breaks schedualed in to get back on schedual from the injuries and stuff so they stayed pretty much on time both days

Dislikes-
- the super long walk from warm ups (i thought it was far last year... wayyy further this year!), then having to wait FOREVER to compete
-that the coaches arent directly in front of you when your on the mat- they are way off in the distance and hard to see when your competing, yes i look for my coaches when competing.
-wish they had more food to chose from, had a lot of snack stuff but not so much meal stuff, when your there all day you have to eat and there wasnt many choices.

If you do 40/60 or 50/50 and place teams accordingly, how is that any different than "placement" from 20/80? I just don't like how day 1 has little if no importance but "enough"?

Kind of like worlds how day one means nothing once you make it to finals... I think a 50/50 is a fair way to reward consistency.

Back