All-Star What Do You Miss About Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I miss when music was used as "voiceovers", when cheers/motion sections were a must for any routine, when a good stunt sequence didn't need to have a ball up, 1.5 up, or a switch up; simply innovative choreography and nice clean body positions.

I miss when Kentucky Allstars were Kentucky Elite. And when they were blue and orange. And when they had a large coed. It just feels different now with all those things different.

I second this! IMO there needs to be a balance between voiceovers and music...typically more music. I was listening to older mixes today and I like most of them more than a lot of the mixes that are out today. Voiceovers are definitely a necessity in cheer mixes, but lately they create more animosity then anything else and take away from the routine itself. Then we can also get into teams with dances that are strictly voiceovers-cute or not cute?

WC typically does this sooo well. Stars and Lites this year truly are primarily music.
I cant stand when in some mixes you can barely tell what songs are being used because they are only played for about 2 seconds before the next voiceover comes on.

Gah! My old squad were loyal and have had a cheer most years ahaha! I love shouting something in the middle of a dance section!<3

My gym still does a cheer and I'm not a fan of it. I liked it when we had the VoiceOver cheer because it wasn't a struggle. It's difficult to yell the cheer over the music.

i miss the cheers, especially when the whole crowd is yelling it for you. gives me chills when basically a whole arena is yelling it.

Our cheer is a voiceover and the girls still say it while they perform but I can understand not wanting to yell it with everything else that goes on in a routine. Im really glad our gym still does a cheer but I have noticed many gyms dont...it gives us parents something to scream during the routine :D

I also miss the days when there werent 500 "nationals", there have been so many cheer companies that have popped up all over the country (thats a good thing) but I think that the true nationals where there is tough competition have been downgraded by all these other "national champions" that beat one team to win that title.

Seriously. National Champions implies that you're the best out of everyone in the country. How does a cheer company give out national champions banners at every competitions it hosts?? You should only be allowed to call one of your events "Nationals"

My team has just stopped doing a cheer and I can definitely say I do NOT miss it.
My gym still does a cheer and I'm not a fan of it. I liked it when we had the VoiceOver cheer because it wasn't a struggle. It's difficult to yell the cheer over the music.

It's not on the scoresheet anymore, so it just makes more sense to use 2-3 whole 8-counts (including transition) to showcase skills that ARE on the scoresheet. Still having a cheer in your routine would be like a level 5 team spending 2 8-counts on extension straight cradles... they'd probably be clean and impressive, but it's a waste of time and it's not going to help you on a scoresheet, so why bother?

It's not on the scoresheet anymore, so it just makes more sense to use 2-3 whole 8-counts (including transition) to showcase skills that ARE on the scoresheet. Still having a cheer in your routine would be like a level 5 team spending 2 8-counts on extension straight cradles... they'd probably be clean and impressive, but it's a waste of time and it's not going to help you on a scoresheet, so why bother?

Aren't motions still at least part of the score sheet? There might not be a dedicated cheer section of the scoresheet, but motions can affect your score.

Aren't motions still at least part of the score sheet? There might not be a dedicated cheer section of the scoresheet, but motions can affect your score.

yeah, but nowadays most teams just do the motions in their opening and in jump sequence:)

Back