All-Star What Do You Think About Before You Tumble? During Your Tumble Pass?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I remember JJ working with one of my girls that had a tumbling block.
He asked her what her 2 favorite colors were and made her say that while whe ran into her pass.

After she went a few times I went and asked her what she was saying, she said-
'pink and purple- pink and purple- pink and purple......"

One of the girls on my high school's team sang "row row row your boat" while she was tumbling during the routine. And right on the line "life is but a dream" she would start throwing her full. I thought that was the funniest thing the first time I heard it!

Nothing at all seems to work best for me. If you truly know what you're doing, or you've done a pass before, just let muscle memory do its work. But if it's a new pass think about one thing at a time always, lets say if you've never done a full before you shouldn't think just about the twisting at the end, I'd take it one element at a time, and how to do that element to make the next one easier, or more likely to hit.

I have had like a gajillion mental blocks but recently I have found that singing as your going helps a lot. It took my mind off what I was doing and allowed my muscle memory to kick in without me having to worry about it. Before I go I say "you have to make yourself go" or "youll be fine, just go" depending on how nervous i'm feeling that day. Then I start singing either the song that is on or if nothing is on I pick a fast paced song and start singing it...slow songs don't work for me. Other times when i'm not absolutely terrified I just think of something simple like point your toes real hard and then I forget about doing the actual skill because i'm so focused on something easy like pointing my toes. Sorry if that made no sense at all..I can't always explain it how it works in my head haha. But I hope you gain all your confidence again soon:)

if its in a full out routine I'll just breathe and count. if its just during tumbling practice like warming up ill think about anything else BUT what im about to do, idk it freaks me out. ill think about what i want for breakfast or what i have for homework to keep my mind off of it so i dont get mental. if im working on a new skill ill sing in my head the music of a team that throws that skill.

last yearr, i used to just think about what color nail polish im going to use when i go get them done for my vacation!
haha, its pretty random but it helped me get through my pass!
otherwise, right as im coming out of my flip flop, i think about setting real high for my double.
but thats about it!
just think about random stuff to get your mind off of it!
your body knows what and how to do whatever your pass is, its called muscle memory, so if you distract your brain from your pass and just let your body do the work, it will be a lot easier! IMO :)

when we do our tumbling section i do one round-off full to the back of the floor, then after that i go into the back corner and wait for my pass. i am last pass so i get a second to breathe, and when i am really tired all i say is "I AM NOT TIRED" "I CAN LAND THIS"(that really helps you to get into the mind frame that you are going to land it)
then i do like a little shimmy to get my nerves out, and in my run i say "SET" then i just go! then after i do my fierce shimmy and hair whip:)

When I had my mental block all I could do to make myself throw it was to imagine the coaches and parents and team members in the VIP section of a comp screaming and cheering for my team. With the energy of a crowd, I could pull anything.

And while Im tumbling, I think of how much of a dumb butt I would look like if I balked (sp?) the pass at a competition. The fear of looking like a fool in front of a crowd makes me pull it no matter how tired I am.

What can I say, Im a self-conscious show-off;)

I have had people ask me what i think about when i tumble, and im like, um, nothing? then they don't inderstand how i do it.. but then i explain to them the muscle memory thing, and they still don't get it they just like smile and nod. haha!

If you think about tumbling it's freakin' terrifying.

"Okay...I'm going to lunge myself head first into the ground and hope that my arms will be enough to spring my entire body weight back up. Then I'm gonna throw myself over backwards onto my hands, again hoping that my body is something like a spring and will get me to my feet. Then from there, I'm going to jump high enough to flip my body completely over my hips while spinning in circles. 5, 6, 7 8..."

Truer words have never been spoken (typed)

When I had my mental block all I could do to make myself throw it was to imagine the coaches and parents and team members in the VIP section of a comp screaming and cheering for my team. With the energy of a crowd, I could pull anything.

And while Im tumbling, I think of how much of a dumb butt I would look like if I balked (sp?) the pass at a competition. The fear of looking like a fool in front of a crowd makes me pull it no matter how tired I am.

What can I say, Im a self-conscious show-off;)
last year i kept getting scared of my standing one to full, so i kept thinking about like being on the stage at worlds with the crowd and everything! it really pays off! haha

One of the girls on my high school's team sang "row row row your boat" while she was tumbling during the routine. And right on the line "life is but a dream" she would start throwing her full. I thought that was the funniest thing the first time I heard it!

When I hafta full I sing "here comes peter cotton tail!" and jump in a circle while waggling the back or my shirt thats in a ponytail holder and looks like a tail.
Then, I say "Hoppin down the bunny trail" as I run into it:)

Back