Music What Do You Think Of People Using Covers Instead Of The Originals In Their Cheers?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do you like when covers are used in the cheer instead of the original songs?

• Total voters
Jul 30, 2013
Varsity has announced that all the cheers at their camps will have to use covers instead of the original songs now. I'm just wondering what people think of this change? Do you like when covers are used in your cheer?

As long as not a bad cover who cares?

**Silly owner, that's NOT how the big gyms really do it**

I use a lot of covers in my team's all star mixes. I'm less likely to hear that song at competition that way [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the cost difference for a mix to use a cover vs. original song?
I don't think its a matter of cost difference, its about people not having the music license to pay Royalties. When you're purchasing music from Itunes or a CD inside of a store, you're purchasing them for personal use. If you're paying people to an event where you're playing music no matter artist you must have permission, you must have a music license so that way you are paying the artist more so record company the Royalties of whatever music you're using. Its hard to explain but its basically just about Royalties and making sure everyone is getting their fair share.

I don't think its a matter of cost difference, its about people not having the music license to pay Royalties. When you're purchasing music from Itunes or a CD inside of a store, you're purchasing them for personal use. If you're paying people to an event where you're playing music no matter artist you must have permission, you must have a music license so that way you are paying the artist more so record company the Royalties of whatever music you're using. Its hard to explain but its basically just about Royalties and making sure everyone is getting their fair share.
It is up to the venue to have the license to play the music when I DJ. Not sure why its not up to Varsity or other companies to do the same. I'm sure there is a legal post or BLOG about this somewhere. I do believe you have to pay to play

Okay this whole situation is scaring me.
So does this ONLY apply to Varsity comps?
Do the covers have to be made by the cheer music producers or can they be a cover off iTunes? (ex. Pentatonix: Problem)
How will comps know if you used covers?
Also will 100% original mixes be a mandatory option at some comps?

Is this becoming a change because comps have to have permission from the copyright owners to legally play the cheer music at the events?
This change is making me nervous because I dont make my own vocals nor do I have the resources to produce an original song like big companies such as NewlLevelMusic, CheerSounds, ExtremeTraxx .

If this is the case smaller producers will suffer and big cheer music companies will be most peoples only option. I can only imagine how costly this will be for cheer music buyers.

Okay this whole situation is scaring me.
So does this ONLY apply to Varsity comps?
Do the covers have to be made by the cheer music producers or can they be a cover off iTunes? (ex. Pentatonix: Problem)
How will comps know if you used covers?
Also will 100% original mixes be a mandatory option at some comps?

Is this becoming a change because comps have to have permission from the copyright owners to legally play the cheer music at the events?
This change is making me nervous because I dont make my own vocals nor do I have the resources to produce an original song like big companies such as NewlLevelMusic, CheerSounds, ExtremeTraxx .

If this is the case smaller producers will suffer and big cheer music companies will be most peoples only option. I can only imagine how costly this will be for cheer music buyers.

IT IS ONLY VARSITY as of right now. I've warned all my clients and they say there isn't any stipulations regarding music covers, originals.... blah blah blah. Breathe my brother! We can take on Goliath! Just have to push push push!

Back