College What Do You Think Of The University Of Alabama!?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not knowing the specifics, but knowing the University's lack of recognition of the sport, it doesn't seem at all unusual for parents to have to make checks out to the coach. It's not "official" school business. It's a "club." I have to write checks to my cp's coach for a lot of tees and extras, and their choreo camp fee goes directly to an all star gym, rather than the school, soooo...

I am not positive but I believe the money was suppose to go through the school. They were representing the school for this camp so the money should have went through the school before being distributed to the team. Even club money still has to do with the University. If the University was not involved at all then money could be pocketed at anytime. The University has the approve the clubs so they still get involvement in them.

It is a huge mess that the team does not need to deal with right now. I know she is the former coach but since it has to do with the cheerleading program it is dragging them into it. They have dealt with enough recently so it is sad to see them having more drama now.

Read a lot of the briefing and all I can day is there is a lot going on.
The lawsuit does say she was threatened with legal action, so I would assume they arrested her as soon as they heard the lawsuit was filed, I doubt it's a coincidence it happened on the same day.

Second is, it is freaking awesome that she ran the second highest profitting sports program. (granted it wouldn't have been if she were allowed to run the camps the way the football coach did). I never knew of any school to profit off of cheer. If other schools eould run camps like that and earn money for the school it would go a long ways upwards getting help.
However she still didn't it would appear.

If her case has merit on the equal pay act, it really would make more schools consider not having cheer or makingturning a profit a job duty, due to the university's having to pay comparable salaries to other coaches. could be good for cheer could be bad.

Lastly, while I hope she didn't pocket the money just so she doesn't go to jail, the little devil on my shoulder hopes she did and that she gets away with it and that she wins her case against the school.

This is all based on her side though and there is always two or more sides so who knows? But I'm rooting for her as it stands now.

I'm in no way a legal person, but did anyone else find it odd that in the filing they talked about how she ran the camp (specifically the setting up of the pizza station so that the campers didn't have to leave the dorms etc)? I just thought that was really unnecessary (in my never went to law school eyes).

I'm in no way a legal person, but did anyone else find it odd that in the filing they talked about how she ran the camp (specifically the setting up of the pizza station so that the campers didn't have to leave the dorms etc)? I just thought that was really unnecessary (in my never went to law school eyes).

That stood out to me too, but I think they were trying to prove two things. First, they were showing that she went above and beyond for the safety of campers and did outstanding work. Let's be honest, most camps don't think about minor details like that, and if pizza were offered when I was a HS camper I would have been all over it. Second, I think it shows that she was not only making money for herself, but other parts of the school. If I read correctly, the pizza place was on campus, allowing them to make more money during the slowest time of the year. Obviously I'm not law school graduate either, but those were my first thoughts.

That stood out to me too, but I think they were trying to prove two things. First, they were showing that she went above and beyond for the safety of campers and did outstanding work. Let's be honest, most camps don't think about minor details like that, and if pizza were offered when I was a HS camper I would have been all over it. Second, I think it shows that she was not only making money for herself, but other parts of the school. If I read correctly, the pizza place was on campus, allowing them to make more money during the slowest time of the year. Obviously I'm not law school graduate either, but those were my first thoughts.

I got that too, but I feel like that's something that would be brought out in trial-not the finding.

Back