Music What Do You Want From A "uca" Style Cheer Mix?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 10, 2010
Just trying to get more into cheer music production and personally prefer doing UCA style 1:30 mixes. My question is what do most athletes and coaches want from your mix? Nice simple few songs with traditional basic voiceovers? Simple clean transitions into songs with a mix of allstarish voiceovers as well as traditional ones? or just lots of song changes with quick one line phrasers and voicovers?
Hopefully that made sense but please let me hear what you would be looking for. everyone has different taste.

Our UCA College mixes were always longer sections of songs, compared to all star, with traditional voiceovers. We liked hard-hitting powerful songs, but that may have been because we were coed.

Just trying to get more into cheer music production and personally prefer doing UCA style 1:30 mixes. My question is what do most athletes and coaches want from your mix? Nice simple few songs with traditional basic voiceovers? Simple clean transitions into songs with a mix of allstarish voiceovers as well as traditional ones? or just lots of song changes with quick one line phrasers and voicovers?
Hopefully that made sense but please let me hear what you would be looking for. everyone has different taste.
Limit the custom raps ("allstarish voiceovers") to one maximum, and don't make it too long. Stick to simple voiceovers, like NLMS' "Jaguar Skills" voiceover, or the "North Laurel" voiceover, or PLD's "Dunbar" voiceover. Just something clean that gets the point across. Try to stay in line with the overall image of UCA, and accommodate for the team whose music you are mixing (so for example, Dr. Phillips loves using a mixture of serene and energetic songs, and coed teams like 80s and 90s rock because, as retiredl5cheer said, it is hard hitting, and IMO matches the increased levels of testosterone on the mat).

Limit the custom raps ("allstarish voiceovers") to one maximum, and don't make it too long. Stick to simple voiceovers, like NLMS' "Jaguar Skills" voiceover, or the "North Laurel" voiceover, or PLD's "Dunbar" voiceover. Just something clean that gets the point across. Try to stay in line with the overall image of UCA, and accommodate for the team whose music you are mixing (so for example, Dr. Phillips loves using a mixture of serene and energetic songs, and coed teams like 80s and 90s rock because, as retiredl5cheer said, it is hard hitting, and IMO matches the increased levels of testosterone on the mat).
YES. So much 80's and 90's rock in our routines.

Im glad to hear what you two are saying! That is the kind of stuff i like as well and what i prefer. I Cheered at a UCA highschool, UCA colleges and Have done UCA staff for quite sometime now so I just wanted to see if my outlook was limited due to my experiences. Times always change and I never wanna be left behind thinking my way is the only way. If i sent a link of just a quick practice mix i did would you be able to critique it?

Im glad to hear what you two are saying! That is the kind of stuff i like as well and what i prefer. I Cheered at a UCA highschool, UCA colleges and Have done UCA staff for quite sometime now so I just wanted to see if my outlook was limited due to my experiences. Times always change and I never wanna be left behind thinking my way is the only way. If i sent a link of just a quick practice mix i did would you be able to critique it?
LOL some may argue that times change very sloooooowly in the UCA world.

I always liked a few older songs mixed in with a few newer ones...because I hate hearing the same new songs used over and over again. I don't like the "old fashion" sounding sound effect (like that old school ding noise) but I do like sound effects. I like a nice clean transition from one song into another. I think voice overs are always great but I agree with what was said above about not having the "allstar-ish raps", more just like the school name, the mascot and the school letters (MFHS, AHS, whatever)

Definitely.

As a general rule, with UCA the flashest thing about any team should be their skills. Clean, creative and difficult; no ponytail whipping, Z-snaps or anything of the sort.

Maybe I should rephrase it to, if you are competing a Uca style routine as a athlete or coach. What kind of style would you look for in a music producer?

Maybe I should rephrase it to, if you are competing a Uca style routine as a athlete or coach. What kind of style would you look for in a music producer?
I would REALLY like to hear creative sound effects, and unique song combos. I love dance music that actually has rhythym.

Back