All-Star What Does Your Coach Say If You Get Hurt? Not In The Gym!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 21, 2010
What does your coach say if you or someone else in your team gets hurt in another place than the gym?

"WE HAD A GAME IN SCHOOL..."
"WE STUNTED AT HOME..."
"I FALLED ON MY SNOWBOARD..."

Personally, I say "$%^& &^%$ #(*#@!" :p

But really, what can I say? I hope the girls make good choices and don't put themselves at additional risk outside of cheer, but stuff happens. (I had a girl go to a trampoline party place and hurt her ankle the week of comp last year...)

Over the break I gave each of my kids a little red piece of yarn with little silver charm on it.
I tied it on their wrist, and told them not to take it off until they were back in the gym.
I told them it was to remind them to "do no harm"-Meaning don't do anything that will hurt the team...Don't visit the ER...don't get grounded....don't do something stupid in the snow...don't jump on your trampoline from the rooftop...don't get in a car with someone that has been drinking....and so on.

I told them if they were thinking about doing something risky, to look at their bracelet and think of how much they mean to me and their team-mates and then decide if it is something they should do.

We only had one broken nose over the break : )

This is why I don't allow other activities! I tell them that they cannot play a sport that is high-risk while in competition season. So, if you play softball and your season starts in the last 3 weeks of cheer season, you are only permitted to do conditioning and drills with that team until our season is over.

I say was it hockey! Loads of our girls do field hockey and are constantly hurt in matches.

We keep telling them to quit but its the only sport they do for school so theres not much chance

Over the break I gave each of my kids a little red piece of yarn with little silver charm on it.
I tied it on their wrist, and told them not to take it off until they were back in the gym.
I told them it was to remind them to "do no harm"-Meaning don't do anything that will hurt the team...Don't visit the ER...don't get grounded....don't do something stupid in the snow...don't jump on your trampoline from the rooftop...don't get in a car with someone that has been drinking....and so on.

I told them if they were thinking about doing something risky, to look at their bracelet and think of how much they mean to me and their team-mates and then decide if it is something they should do.

We only had one broken nose over the break : )

Love that idea, Brenner!

i always feel guilty for going to the mountains and skiing when on break or on a saturday. im so afraid i'll get hurt and damage the team!

I don't allow my daughter to do activities that are "known" risks during cheer season. no ice skating, skiing etc.. As of now this is going to be her last season after 9 years of cheer. She wants to enjoy her senior year of high school and is looking forward to doing some of these things as well as taking some "mini vacation" weekends during the winter. :) She hasn't been on skis since she's 9! :)

a girl on my team fell off a scooter attached to a car and broke her wrist...lets just say the coach wasnt a happy camper

Well, kiss my avalanche<3 LOL! Parents want their kids to be kids. Coaches want their cheerleaders to be cheerleaders. Let's see ... no sleepovers on competition nights, no sleigh riding in the snow, no other sports that interfere with competitive cheerleading, etc. 100% commitment to the team. No fun for you ... cheer, cheer, cheer, cheer, cheer, cheer <3

When I was a gymnast it was 'highly encouraged' that we refrain from any wintery activities that might give us an injury. And as I found out (from a volleyball injury in HS), a few months out can completely KILL your career in that sport..

Back