All-Star What Does Your Coach Say If You Get Hurt? Not In The Gym!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I just remind my kids to be careful always, that goes for the whole year (not just over break or week before a comp. Even though it is sometimes tempting, I wouldn't tell them to quit their other sports or something like that (as long as schedules don't conflict of course). I would rather have happy well-rounded athletes than 24/7 cheer robots:) Lol. Now jumping from roofs, stunting outside of the gym, racing on scooters, etc. are things I don't tolerate and my kids know that. They know to just be smart.

Tough?
I do cheer for fun. If I hafta refrain from normal teenager activities (like ice skating) then cheer as stopped being fun.
I'm careful, but I'm still a teen. Sometimes people get hurt. Hell I get hurt at cheer more often than anywhere else. I'll be conscious of the fact that if I get injured my team hasta go allgirl and pay fees and whatnot. But I'm not gonna give up my childhood for my passion. That's why gymnastics bothers me so much! Yeah they can tumble, but a kid needs time to just be a kid. I don't like sports that take someones childhood away.

That doesn't mean that coaches can't be frustrated when people get injured, far from it. But recognize that kids will get hurt doing dumb things.
Especially since the thing they most often get hurt doing is the sport you teach them!

I like their reaction to getting hurt while competing more, while walking off to go the hospital to have stitches put in my face, my coach says, "work that out, froehlich" hahahah.

I freak whenever one of my kids gets injured outside of practices. I am always telling them not to do anything stupid or dangerous with friends, at school, etc. I also threaten them quite often that I'll send them home from practice wrapped in bubble wrap. :p

CPs gym realizes and accepts that kids have lives outside cheer. If they were doing something stupid then "yes" they'd be peeved but mine has come in with a bum knee before from soccer and they understood. The same goes when she has done something at the gym and then can't play a soccer game. Now CP isn't on a level 5 team so the perception may be different there!

It's funny, for all the "bubble wrapping" coaches do with kids...kids are kids. I was a level 10 gymnast and cheered in college. My only broken bone was a broken ankle. I broke it tripping up a curb on my way to a Phillies game. I was totally sober.

Personally, I say "$%^& &^%$ #(*#@!" :p

But really, what can I say? I hope the girls make good choices and don't put themselves at additional risk outside of cheer, but stuff happens. (I had a girl go to a trampoline party place and hurt her ankle the week of comp last year...)
Haha, okay :D are you a coach? Ohh... That's bad luck!

Haha, okay :D are you a coach? Ohh... That's bad luck!

Yes, I'm a coach and that time I was actually really irritated that the girl would be attempting back tucks at the trampoline place when she was just starting to learn them! That's what I mean by good/bad choices!

I am a coach's worst nightmare, the most accident-prone person that ever lived. My freshman yr of college, I was in my friend's room studying (for real lol) and I got up and pulled a scorpion in the middle of her room. As I let go of my foot, I dropkicked her coffee table and broke my foot... 3 weeks later I fell down the concrete stairs going to dinner and sprained my ankle. I broke my cheek bone, pulled my achilles, broke a finger, sprained a wrist, and had an ugly back injury. I never missed a practice or a game, even tumbled with a back brace on, but my coach still hated me for a good part of that year lol

i get hurt all the time, and 99% of my injuries are from cheerleading, not from other activities...i think coaches should think about how often their athletes do get injured in the gym, and it affects their lives outside a lot more than it does within the gym (i.e. they get hurt in the gym and are on crutches for 3 weeks, or god forbid, need surgery and PT to get back into just "normal" activities) and then realize how much we do dedicate ourselves to the gym and our team, and one or two injuries from another activity should be more understood...especially since MOST of the time, those other activities aren't going to injure you the way cheer does.

I freak whenever one of my kids gets injured outside of practices. I am always telling them not to do anything stupid or dangerous with friends, at school, etc. I also threaten them quite often that I'll send them home from practice wrapped in bubble wrap. :p

I've often thought of bubble wrap when it comes to my 7 year old...heck...I'm still clumsy enough to need it myself.

Over the break I gave each of my kids a little red piece of yarn with little silver charm on it.
I tied it on their wrist, and told them not to take it off until they were back in the gym.
I told them it was to remind them to "do no harm"-Meaning don't do anything that will hurt the team...Don't visit the ER...don't get grounded....don't do something stupid in the snow...don't jump on your trampoline from the rooftop...don't get in a car with someone that has been drinking....and so on.

I told them if they were thinking about doing something risky, to look at their bracelet and think of how much they mean to me and their team-mates and then decide if it is something they should do.

We only had one broken nose over the break : )

love that idea!

Back