What Hair Style Does Your Cheer Gym Require?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2017
Do you do side french braid into a pony?
Do you have "poof" and pony?
Is it high and ratted pony? Or does your gym have min2" height?
Just curious what are your required hair styles?

We're school not gym, but we only do either pony or braid into pony. I let them do poof once, because they begged, but I don't like it.
I also like to keep it basic because it's less stress that way, as half my girls can't do it so I end up doing half the team!

This year they wanted everyone to do side french braid into pony. I was able to figure it out (I'm not a hair person at all) but tons of other parents had to bring their girls early to have people do it for them. The year before was just straight pony (so much easier!)

Regular high pony. Some girls come to competition without their hair done and by performance time it ends up just slapped back in a pony. Sometimes the pony is low or has lots of flyaways/bumps. I think the gym is too relaxed in this area because it can come across as sloppy.

Front braid into a bun. The bun is good for girls with really long hair...no chance of landing on your hair in a tuck. However, we had some girls with very little hair so their buns were TINY and others with lots of hair and their buns were huge:)

my extra small gym followed the trend of a slick back high pony with a super big tease. Two years ago we did poofs with no tease pony and it was terrible... last year we tried poofs for day 1 and braids for day 2 and it was a nightmare. Im super good with hair and i do hair for most of the girls on my team and teased pony is my favorite to do.

When DD was really little, they did pigtails with two bows a lot. Since about age 7. It's always been a high pony, either curly or straight. She finally cut her hair from waist length to shoulder length which made it much easier-for a few years there, I'd do things like I dream of Jeannie style pony tails just to use up some of that length so it wasn't at risk of ending up under her hands when she tumbled.

High pony slicked back, sometimes we tease. I prefer a tease since I have really long hair (hip length) and the tease makes it a bit shorter.

Back