All-Star What Happened To The Basics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've seen pictures of kids basing extensions with their fingers on the outside of the flyer's feet.

Like this (yes, it's a North Laurel photo. Go Jags.)

Does that work better than when you grip with your fingers on the flyer's heel and toe?
That typically is how your hands end after a full up, or how you set for a 360 down.

I've seen a guy walk in to an open gym with no tumbling skills/experience whatsoever and leave an hour later with a standing tuck.

You could say I was jealous.

My husband got his standing tuck with absolutely no tumbling experience in about 1 and a half adult tumbling classes. I was surprised that was the first skill they taught him. CP was a little pissed he picked it up that quickly. But since then he has hurt his hip doing a round-off and badly strained his bicep working on his BHS. Old people problems...

I told CP if she ever wants to feel better about her dad getting his standing tuck before her, ask him to do a front or a back walkover. We had a good laugh picturing that. :D

I've seen pictures of kids basing extensions with their fingers on the outside of the flyer's feet.

Like this (yes, it's a North Laurel photo. Go Jags.)

Does that work better than when you grip with your fingers on the flyer's heel and toe?

The risk with this grip is that it's very easy to push the flyers foot "inwards", especially in one-legged stunts. From experience, most flyers can stay in the air while on the outside of their foot. Not so much when they're being pushed on their inner side.
With this grip, the main has to concentrate very hard on letting her wrists "drop" so the platform for the flyer is even. As soon as something doesn't hit perfectly, the main often forgets all about that and the flyer's foot drops to the inside, making the flyer at least lose her bodyposition if not drop alltogether. At least that's my experience.

Back