What if what were doing isn't cheerleading, what if it is something else? (serious)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I guess that's where we are having a language barrier King. I would say YES. If you include both areas of cheerleading collectively, then yes it is a sport. Is throwing a football around for fun a sport all by itself? Is playing "catch" with a friend a sport all by itself? No, but you add in other players, an offense and a defense, a ref, rules, etc. and voila, you have a sport. But throwing the football around for fun is a PART of that sport. Same with cheerleading. The sideline portion is a PART of our sport, the non-athletic side. Add in judges, rules, etc. and voila, it becomes a sport. But it's still all part of the same wonderful sport.

Food for thought: The number of cheerleaders that compete is WAY LESS than the number that just do sidelines. So if we go by parts... they are the bigger part.

Maybe one shouldn't exist without the other???

If they were different names they could co-exist. And they were first, they can have the word cheerleading. We get to be a sport.

For a new name it would be worth it for me to say what I coach and have no one ever ask me to "oh really? do a cheer for me" again.

If they were different names they could co-exist. And they were first, they can have the word cheerleading. We get to be a sport.

But some of us love BOTH sides of cheerleading. If they were two completely different sports, we wouldn't be allowed to do both in the same season.

So every rah rah team that leads the crowd very well but never sets a foot on the mat is a sport?

Well, based on the question you posed, if the two (sideline and competitive cheer) had to be combined, then I would say yeah, its a sport. I mean, I dont consider what I do in all star to be an activity. Its dang hard. Now, if they were going to remain combined, if someone asked I might say "well, I work harder than susie does on the sidelines, so I would say what I do is more of a sport." There is always going to be some defense of our ... uh,.... pasttime?... and qualifying as a sport.

like archery and curling
hahaha

tug of war was an olympic sport until 1920

Or how about Ski Ballet/ Acro Ski
This was in the 92 winter olympics
skiers would perform a 90 second routine to music and include flips etc.

Youre so quick with facts and video evidence! How do you do it? :)

Is the 2nd and 3rd string of a football team still part of their "sport" even though they never play. Why can't we just say the "sideline cheerleaders" are our 2nd and 3rd strings??? lol

But some of us love BOTH sides of cheerleading. If they were two completely different sports, we wouldn't be allowed to do both in the same season.

Except at the college level I dont see why not. I knew lots of kids in high school who did multiple sports AND activities.

Well, based on the question you posed, if the two (sideline and competitive cheer) had to be combined, then I would say yeah, its a sport. I mean, I dont consider what I do in all star to be an activity. Its dang hard. Now, if they were going to remain combined, if someone asked I might say "well, I work harder than susie does on the sidelines, so I would say what I do is more of a sport." There is always going to be some defense of our ... uh,.... pasttime?... and qualifying as a sport.

Which is why keeping the same name for both has downsides. Remember, I am thinking out loud here. A possible solution to our current situation and dilemma?

In reality I am concerned with what will help our sport grow. If a dang name is holding us back... well... lets change it! YEs I like the name, yes it has sentimental value, but if that is what holds us back why not just change and move on?

Well, as been said before, then youll get those people who ask, well isnt that like..."gymnastics, cheerleading, acrobatics, etc....
We are in a no win situation.

I, too, am concerned about the growth of our sport. And I would be okay with a name change if that was the ONLY way to grow. But I think the rebel in me is more inclined to fight with all my might first. haha

I dont know if you remember valujet but it was the exact same company as airtran, just a name change. They chagned their name because valujet had some bad jets and a few crashes. And for a while, when they changed their name it was" isnt airtran just valujet?" But, now, if you fly do you ever say isn't airtran just valujet?

Youre so quick with facts and video evidence! How do you do it? :)

i remember a lot of random stuff
then i google to back up what i remember
and i am very google savvy (and i guess a logical thinker)
i know what to search to get to what i want

I, too, am concerned about the growth of our sport. And I would be okay with a name change if that was the ONLY way to grow. But I think the rebel in me is more inclined to fight with all my might first. haha

What if it is the only way to grow and not be tied down by the sidelines?

I guess that's where we are having a language barrier King. I would say YES. If you include both areas of cheerleading collectively, then yes it is a sport. Is throwing a football around for fun a sport all by itself? Is playing "catch" with a friend a sport all by itself? No, but you add in other players, an offense and a defense, a ref, rules, etc. and voila, you have a sport. But throwing the football around for fun is a PART of that sport. Same with cheerleading. The sideline portion is a PART of our sport, the non-athletic side. Add in judges, rules, etc. and voila, it becomes a sport. But it's still all part of the same wonderful sport.

I agree with you again!

My father coaches football and they just had a seven-on-seven with another local school where they just run plays... is this an actual sport? I don't think so, but it is part of the sport. Just like sideline is a part of our sport...

Well, if Barack cant do it, we the cheerleaders can make a change!

No party affiliation. Just going off his tagline...

Back