What if what were doing isn't cheerleading, what if it is something else? (serious)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Semantics.. words... so powerful.

What if what we are doing ISN'T cheerleading. It is a DEFINITELY sport, but it isn't cheerleading. To borrow a misquoted quote from one of those articles, we don't cheer and we don't lead. It looks and resembles cheerleading, but isn't. It has similar pieces (just like how we have floor tumbling from gymnastics, but we arent gymnastics) but those pieces done in the way we have all competed in them is NOT cheerleading, but something else.

Let me explain. If we say cheerleading is strictly a crowd interacting sideline activity, then stepping onto a competition mat isnt cheerleading. Cheerleaders, who do crowd leading activities, also get involved and do the thing we all consider a sport.

Is this making sense to anyone. Forget everything you know about any advertisement or anything ever... just think is what we do 'cheerleading'?

Ok I agree, I am in, lets change the name... No Cheer, Cheerleading, cheerleader. My wife has said this for years now and I am glad it is coming up on the boards.
Shoot, We will change our business name as well if this happens from Cheer Infinity Allstars to Blahblah Infinity Allstars, LOL
But i do agree that we are Allstars and if the definition of cheerleading is "strictly a crowd interacting sideline activity" we are not cheerleaders... (The competitive side)

I, too, am concerned about the growth of our sport. And I would be okay with a name change if that was the ONLY way to grow. But I think the rebel in me is more inclined to fight with all my might first. haha

I'm leaning towards McLovins argument here. I don't think we have to give up our history to be respected as a sport.

I always say my daughter is on a "competive cheer team". When she started I got some of the same responses we've mentioned....Can she do a cheer for me?, Who does she cheer for?, Where are her pom poms?

Now, six years later when I say it, the responses have gone to more of "Oh yeah I think I have heard of that." It is evolving, but just not very quickly (thus my daughter needing to tumble on the playground)!

I think it has less to do with what we call the industry, as to what ppl understand it to be outside of it. We are all familiar with what 90% of the uninformed consider "cheerleading". I've always said all star cheerleading when I've referred to competitive cheer. As Mclovin has mentioned, I see no reason to do away with the name. Just do as I do (as well as many others) and add something to it.

Beyond that, it's up to our industry heads, to help establish those differences and stand up for them in public forums so the masses can now be exposed and know the difference!!! *rolls eyes*

I think it has less to do with what we call the industry, as to what ppl understand it to be outside of it. We are all familiar with what 90% of the uninformed consider "cheerleading". I've always said all star cheerleading when I've referred to competitive cheer. As Mclovin has mentioned, I see no reason to do away with the name. Just do as I do (as well as many others) and add something to it.

Beyond that, it's up to our industry heads, to help establish those differences and stand up for them in public forums so the masses can now be exposed and know the difference!!! *rolls eyes*

Haha, true. I definitely was a cheerleader in college that also competed. I just now involved in allstar... it is something so different.

Name suggestion (I even wrote a definition)

"Fierceletics"

- a competitive sport combines the athletic principles of gymnastics, acro, power tumbling,
stunting, and dance into a performance that can only be labeled as fierce.

Semantics.. words... so powerful.

What if what we are doing ISN'T cheerleading. It is a DEFINITELY sport, but it isn't cheerleading. To borrow a misquoted quote from one of those articles, we don't cheer and we don't lead. It looks and resembles cheerleading, but isn't. It has similar pieces (just like how we have floor tumbling from gymnastics, but we arent gymnastics) but those pieces done in the way we have all competed in them is NOT cheerleading, but something else.

Let me explain. If we say cheerleading is strictly a crowd interacting sideline activity, then stepping onto a competition mat isnt cheerleading. Cheerleaders, who do crowd leading activities, also get involved and do the thing we all consider a sport.

Is this making sense to anyone. Forget everything you know about any advertisement or anything ever... just think is what we do 'cheerleading'?

University of Oregon calls it their 'Stunt and Gymnastics' Team. I think that is a fair name for it. I have often though of this and I agree that we are not really 'cheering' maybe calling it something like performance acrobatics or something going that direction would be good too.

i dont know if this was mentioned in this thread because i just skimmed it.
but what about those allstar programs that use the word "cheer" in their name.
example would be Cheer Athletics.
would they want to change their program's name to fit the "sport" name that we are discussing?

It is a good question. I don't know if they have to. ITs not like we wouldnt know what was going on with their name. But I guess the question to ask is is making them change their name worth it if this sport got its own name and recognition and all the other things that come along with it?

i dont know if this was mentioned in this thread because i just skimmed it.
but what about those allstar programs that use the word "cheer" in their name.
example would be Cheer Athletics.
would they want to change their program's name to fit the "sport" name that we are discussing?

And who would attend CHEERsport? hahaha jk.

Call it bobs big house of flips sport and they'll be good to go!

Sent from my Droid Incredible

Name suggestion (I even wrote a definition)

"Fierceletics"

- a competitive sport combines the athletic principles of gymnastics, acro, power tumbling,
stunting, and dance into a performance that can only be labeled as fierce.

I Like it!!!

Gymletics?

Back