What if what were doing isn't cheerleading, what if it is something else? (serious)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I really like gymletics.

It roles off the tongue. Implies athletics and gymnastic roots.

Sent from my Droid Incredible

I think if we took all or some of the elements and/or history involved and made an acronym for it that sounded good we could end up with a decent name, like NASCAR.
Tumbling, Stunts, Acrobatics, gymnastics, dance, jumps, Cheer, Athletics, allstar. Any ideas?

CASTAR Cheer Acrobatic Stunts and Tumbling Athletic Revolution Maybe it could work?

I think if we took all or some of the elements and/or history involved and made an acronym for it that sounded good we could end up with a decent name, like NASCAR.
Tumbling, Stunts, Acrobatics, gymnastics, dance, jumps, Cheer, Athletics, allstar. Any ideas?

CASTAR Cheer Acrobatic Stunts and Tumbling Athletic Revolution Maybe it could work?

STAAG
TAAGS
CAATS

Not sure I like the acronyms because they give you no information on what the sport actually is, unless you say the full name. Also NASCAR isn't quite the sport we should be modeling ourselves after, imo. It's not in the olympics, it's not NCAA.

But I do like the creativity :D

I really like gymletics.

It roles off the tongue. Implies athletics and gymnastic roots.

Even tho I never saw it, this somehow makes me think of that move BASEketball...lol.

This may seem like an oddball analogy, but I'm a fan of Mixed Martial Arts fighting (MMA). It's a young and evolving sport, just as All Star is. It's still based around the name of martial arts, but coincidentally, there aren't any deep rooted examples of the traditional martial arts as most ppl know of (karate, judo, etc) in the sport anymore.

For those not familiar its a mix of different types of grappling (wrestling, jiu-jitsu, etc,), and striking (kickboxing, boxing, etc). Wrestling is arguably the best base to use in this sport, and I dont' care what ppl try to convince me, historically wrestling would never be mentioned in the same sentence as a martial art.

So sideline cheering might just be one of those traditional martial arts for All Star, gymnastics might be considered our form or wrestling. And whatever other parallels may exist.

So again, I don't think we have to separate ourselves from the term cheer. Especially when there are still several teams that do still incorporate actual cheers in routines. Even if they didn't, as I said it has less to do with the term and more to do with the perception.

T & A (tumbling and aerobics)
S & M (stunting and motions)

hmmm...maybe I need to let someone else do this.

Every routine still has a cheer; the difference being that we are cheering for ourselves as oppoesed to cheering on another sport in progress. The music fades and the crowd jumps in, chants, and screams. How about Competitive Performance Cheer?

But some of us love BOTH sides of cheerleading. If they were two completely different sports, we wouldn't be allowed to do both in the same season.

Not sure I understand this point.

Right now (generally) in high school an athlete can't do a school sport and a club sport at the same time.

But if cheerleading (high school) and all stars were two different sports, you could do both whenever you wanted.

I really think this entire thing is getting out of control...we are never going to change the name of the sport from cheerleading...competitive cheerleading is different than sideline cheerleading and we already separate the two, even in high school and college...all star cheerleading will never be affected by the decision made by the federal court and as Jeff Webb has pointed out, is considered a sport...i completely agree with him 100% that standing on a sideline cheering and stunting and tumbling in order to build crown support is not a sport...chess is a sport when people train and compete for national and world titles, not as a club sponsored by a teacher at the school, and that is what we are doing as all star, college, and high school cheerleaders who go to competitions in order to win titles...yes, in many ways, like health insurance, cheerleading is privatized and not run by a government body but if we use that analogy, why is a large portion of america against government run health insurance? i, for one, was sincerely shocked when i read the news articles and took them as a ploy for varsity to maintain a monopoly over cheerleading, but havent they done a pretty good job at creating a safe environment and prestige around something that started as a non-sport and has become a sport being considered for the olympic games in the near future?

I really think this entire thing is getting out of control...we are never going to change the name of the sport from cheerleading...competitive cheerleading is different than sideline cheerleading and we already separate the two, even in high school and college...all star cheerleading will never be affected by the decision made by the federal court and as Jeff Webb has pointed out, is considered a sport...i completely agree with him 100% that standing on a sideline cheering and stunting and tumbling in order to build crown support is not a sport...chess is a sport when people train and compete for national and world titles, not as a club sponsored by a teacher at the school, and that is what we are doing as all star, college, and high school cheerleaders who go to competitions in order to win titles...yes, in many ways, like health insurance, cheerleading is privatized and not run by a government body but if we use that analogy, why is a large portion of america against government run health insurance? i, for one, was sincerely shocked when i read the news articles and took them as a ploy for varsity to maintain a monopoly over cheerleading, but havent they done a pretty good job at creating a safe environment and prestige around something that started as a non-sport and has become a sport being considered for the olympic games in the near future?

I guess you missed the entire point of the discussion and question. And,no, we are no where near being in the Olympics. Don't get me started on that again, but were 10-20 years away from that at least.

"In September 1975, HEW first provided guidance on Title IX, stating “cheerleaders and the like, which are covered more generally as extracurricular activities” are not part of an institution’s “athletic program” within the meaning of Title IX." quoted from the court case briefing

That is why the name change would be good for the Sport

So how do we do it? How do we rename it? Not because we want to forget what got is here, but because I would hate for the fact our desire to want to hold onto a name would stop this sport from achieving all it can.

no i understand the point of the discussion which is to come up with a different name to distinguish what is being considered a non-sport from what we consider a sport...my point was there are things, like chess which is a sport and non-sport, that are under the same name..people thought flipping on a trampoline would never be considered an olympic sport, but look what's in the olympics now and one of the most popular events to watch......my point about privatization of health care and varsity's monopoly is that varsity has become somewhat of a privatized company that has assumed the role of a governing body just like USAG for gymnastics which represents gymnastics as a sport and a recreational activity...i think my post was more food for thought than a real answer to the original question posed

Back