All-Star What If You Were About A Minute Away From Performing And Someone Quit, What Would You Do?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

one time we had 2 sisters on our team, and there mom pulled them out, but she didnt tell the gym. so we were waiting for them and eventually it was time for warm ups and they still werent there. one of them was a flyer and the other was a base. we had to mark two stunts.... we got 4th out of 4 teams. fun experience.

I would rely on my coach to do something.

Last time, we kicked two people off the competition team the night before competition. She woke us all up at 2 or 3 in the morning and explained everything for kicking them off. We had to go to sleep and then go over everything; change formations, switch bases in and out, etc.

But we still got first. =D

With my mouth, I'd probably get kicked off of the team and sent to jail if someone quit right before we were gonna go on, that's a whole different scenario and WAY too close to performance time!

this happened to APX envy at NCA in 2009. The girl walked out in the middle of warm ups. I think they got the staff to give them a few extra minutes to pull in an alternate. 1 stunt group didn't go up, and they taught the new girl the pyramid so that did go up.

My first year cheering we went to a 2 day comp, after the first night we were in first. She went out and partied that night and broke her toe and would not compete. We had to forfeit =(

My friends cheered on an open team a few years ago, and they had a competition in Vegas and one of their teammates just didn't show up in Vegas. I think they replaced him in the pyramids, and just didn't throw his stunts.

I competed in a squad where one female base had a seizure literally as our name was announced...we even could not go on and not compete or try it...We went on and did our best without her....1 place by 1 point!!

what if an elephant walks across the mat? what if what if?

there are always what ifs. i figure, if something like that happened, i don't know what i would do. maybe find an alternate, maybe just let them mark the stunt, maybe just pull the team. it would depend on how everyone else on the team was doing after watching one of their teammates leave.

2 perspectives....
As a coach and gym owner, I'd be beyond ill. Head-spinning and everything. And then I would pull it together and go talk to the competition director, explain my case, and ask to go later in the day. Comp directors understand sometimes the unforseeable happens and will usually work with you. I'd pull an athlete from an upper level team and rechoreo them in the routine. Forfeiting means letting down a lot of athletes and parents, and not getting your money back!!

As a team member, I'd be equally ticked, but I'd stay focused on the matter, and be determined to nail that routine without the quitter!

I'd probably freak out internally for a hot second. After that, I'd find someone from the competition and ask to either be pushed later in the division or to compete out of division. Pull a kid from one of our teams and rework. If we weren't allowed to move (which I'd be surprised at because in my experience, most companies will work with you) I'd have the team mark whatever stunt/pyramid group the quitter was in. I wouldn't pull them from the competition and going exhibition would be my last resort.

my friends and I have talked about this, i guess I would try to fix everything for the pyramid and just ground that stunt group. Has anyone ever thought of this: If you had an evil person on your team who got pissed at the coach or another cheerleader and went out on the mat and purposely screwed the entire team over. Like not putting stunts up, knocking stunts down, running around the mat wildly. Just a thought but a scary one at that.
something like this happened to me when i was in like .. 7th grade. The girl I based decided she didn't want to fly anymore. I was backing, and she told me to get to the stunt late. I didn't obviously, so when we put her up she purposely fell...in every stunt. I was not happy, to say the least. :mad:

Back