High School What Is The Max Amount Of Cheerleaders Allowed To Make A Team.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 21, 2012
Our high school & middle school squad have 32, it has never been more than that. So in general, is that the maximum amount of cheerleaders there are allowed to be at a school? or is there really no set amount?

Our high school & middle school squad have 32, it has never been more than that. So in general, is that the maximum amount of cheerleaders there are allowed to be at a school? or is there really no set amount?

I think it depends on if they are competitive or not and what state they are in if they are competitive. Different states have different rules. IL for example the max amount of cheerleaders you can have on the floor at state is 20, I suppose you could have a sideline team of 40 but only 20 may compete at one time.

I think it depends on if they are competitive or not and what state they are in if they are competitive. Different states have different rules. IL for example the max amount of cheerleaders you can have on the floor at state is 20, I suppose you could have a sideline team of 40 but only 20 may compete at one time.
Exactly. And then you also have to consider would you really want any more than that? And consider if they are sideline cheerleaders, there's only so much space on the sidelines.

Exactly. And then you also have to consider would you really want any more than that? And consider if they are sideline cheerleaders, there's only so much space on the sidelines.

Yeah it's tough with 20 on the sidelines in most gyms and then for the bball state tournament games only 12 can cheer at a time, so I don't know what you'd do with 40! Lol! Everyone gets to cheer half of a quarter?! Haha!

In Il it also depends on what division you compete. Small can have up to 12, medium up to 16 and large up to 20. Not sure a out coed though.

I think it depends on school and funding. I know we have to rent our uniforms every year, so it depends basically on how many uniforms we have- that's how many spots are open on the team. This year we took 18, my freshman year we had 22 and my sophomore year we had 20. We also have 8 JV uniforms, but we haven't had JV in 3 years. and at basketball games there is a limit on how many girls can cheer (be on the sidelines) at 1 game- I believe it's 12. We have 18 girls so we cheer in "groups" on different days. There are 6 girls in each group, so 2 groups cheer at a time. if we have a game monday thursday friday, 1&2 will cheer monday, 2&3 will cheer thursday, and 3&1 will cheer friday... etc. makes it alot more organized expecially if you make the group by stunt group... for example group 1 is stunt group 1, group 2 is stunt group 2, and group 3 is stunt group 3.

I live in Ohio! only the girls who can afford to compete do at the high school. cause its like $900 dollars. so its never really more than 20. But at the high school they have a freshman squad of 12, a jv squad of 10, and a varsity squad of 10. well now the freshmen have 10 and jv has 9 cause people quit. and like for varsity football games jv and varsity cheer, then for basketball they cheer for their individual team, but only 8 girls allowed on the court at a time. and at the middle school (it is a very large school system keep in mind) there is a red and a blue team for every sport. blue football. so they both come from the same school but are on different teams, so for cheerleading, they have a red squad and a blue squad. 16 on each team, 8 7th graders and 8 8th graders. and for competition, they compete by red and blue, so theres only 16 maximum on the mat for that. its really confusing kind of..

I think it depends on money, and on how many girls your coach is willing to take on. At my high school varsity has 20, and JV has 15. In middle school we had 15 as well.

We usually do 16 varsity, 8 JV and 8 freshmen. Eight seems small, but so are the JV and freshmen game crowds...not a lot of people try out anyway.

I have 20 on my Varsity Squad and I had 10 on my JV squad this year. Next year we will have 20 on each Varsity, JV, and Freshmen squad. But I know of a few teams here in AZ that have 35 to 45 on there game Squads and only compete 20 of them to max everything out. But at the same time they have an amazing filter system starting at the middle school level. I basically get them when they get to HS and start from ground zero.

Each of my girls pay $850 to $1000 every year. That price varies if you are a vet or new.

Back