What level rules need to be fixed or clarified?

Discussion in 'Discussing the Cheerleading Industry' started by King, May 5, 2010.

1. indiglow

indiglow They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Sorry. Just hit one of my pet peeves - using the wrong homonym. (Although I am guilty of this sometimes too)
    Aloud means spoken.
    Allowed mean permitted.

2. cheerleaderforlife

cheerleaderforlife Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    ok. For the upside down stunt: the back spot is in the front, bases behind the back spot, the flyer grabs the backs hands and the bases push her up so then she's still conected to the back by the hands, and she's in a hand stand position and then we bring her back to a squish

i dont know if you can picture that, but we did it before and it was actually pretty good.

3. ACEDAD

ACEDAD Named "Best Veteran" meaning "Most Attractive". National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    billpresson
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Verified Member:
    Bill Presson
    USASF Hall of Fame Member
    I don't mean "how", I mean "why". Why should level 2 be able to do this stunt?

4. BubbleToes

BubbleToes When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    "Because I said so!" ;)

5. RealTalk25

RealTalk25 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I know a lot of people disagree with this, but I think that level 3 running tumbling needs to include layouts, level 4 should max at fulls, and level 5 should be doubles.. It just seems way more logical to me..

Yes, it's a huge jump from series BHS in level 2 to layouts in level 3, BUT, I think that if you learn a tuck (current level 3 skill), it won't take an extravagant amount of extra training to learn a layout. All you have to do is straighten your body (of course, I know that it takes more than that to do a layout, but.. not really) However, to go from layouts in level 4 to doubles in level 5, is crazy.. It's HARD to learn a double. It's hard enough to learn a full, but to get a double, you'd have to log SERIOUS hours in the gym.. It's even harder to compete with teams that are doing more than half squad doubles and combo to doubles.. In SO5, you still have to compete against teams that are doing much harder skills.. Teams with squad (or less than squad, but have a good number of) fulls have 3 options... water down, and sandbag level 4, go SO5, and continue to not be competitive because of the huge gyms with so much rollover talent that their SO5 teams are all throwing standing and jump to fulls, or go level 5 and get completely SMASHED because everyone is throwing at least 30% doubles..

I say, if you're gona have a big gap in skill difficulty, do it before the skills are really difficult.

However.. on the con side of my own argument.. Maybe putting layouts and tucks in the same category wouldn't be good for technique.. people would be chucking "layouts" over just for difficulty points.. Then, when they get to the level with fulls, they don't have a good foundation.. But then again, we're cheerleaders, not gymnasts.. since when have cheerleaders cared about tumbling technique.. you can ALWAYS tell a lifetime cheerleader's double from an ex-gymnast's.. Thoughts?

I mean.. I still think it's better to keep non-twisting body positions in one, single fulls in another, and doubles in yet another.. but I was just playing devil's advocate for my own suggestion

6. foundmyway2SC

foundmyway2SC Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I think rather than making layouts legal at level 3, have it at tucks for level 3, layouts for 4, just fulls for 5, and doubles for 6.

7. WuToDouble

WuToDouble I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    WuToDouble
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    i feel like thats the purpose of SO5

8. RealTalk25

RealTalk25 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    yeah, but why have a new level created, when you can consolidate?

9. cheerislove8

cheerislove8 Best Overall Female Poster On Every Thread :)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    But the level was already created. I understand your reasoning for those other level ideas, but I feel like that would be complicated to change all those rules. I think the Senior Open 5 rule changes proposed at the summer meetings help solve the whole "stacked open 5 teams" issue.

10. CGAcheer

CGAcheer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    I would not be opposed to the following:
    Level 3 any non twisting flipping skill, with no tumbling after the flipping skill
    Level 4 up to 1 twist and 1 flipping rotation, Fulls require a handspring entry with no tumbling after the full.
    Level 5 current level 5 rules
    Level 6 up 2 twisting and 2 flipping rotations

11. RealTalk25

RealTalk25 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    YES! I would totally agree.. Cheerislove, I can respect that

12. foundmyway2SC

foundmyway2SC Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    Okay this is definitely a good idea! :)

13. glittergirl

glittergirl Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I agree. I think that it's not a difficult skill once you have a standing backhandspring. Level 2's can throw backwalkover backhandsprings, which is a connected skill, just like toe-touch backhandsprings. I find them very similar, and to me they're the same degree of difficulty. Also, my team(senior 4.2) was trying them just to experiment, and every girl could do one, even girls who got their standing handsprings recently. I think most level 2's would be able to throw these. Just my opinion.

14. BlueCat

BlueCat Roses are red, cats are blue National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    jodymelton
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Verified Member:
    Jody Melton
    Owner of Cheer Athletics
    You have repeatedly made reference to the idea that SO5 was created for a specific type of gym. This is not true. It was created for a specific type of athlete and/or a specific roster situation. (Athletes - those with low-end L5 skills. Roster situations - athletes spanning multiple age ranges.) These athletes and situations exist at gyms of all sizes.