All-Star What Should A Nugget Do During Practice?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
CP moved to a senior 3 team of 14. She’s really a level 2 skill wise, but we didn’t have a level 2 team for her this season, and the coaches felt this was a better fit than having her on level 1. She’s basing/spotting some stunts, and is putting up baskets during the elite tumbling sequence, but there are a couple of stunts designed for 12 that she’s out of. CP has had several practices in a row where she was standing and waiting with nothing to do for long periods of time while they worked on those stunts. Last night, that was a full hour of a 3 hour practice.

Is it reasonable for her to ask the coach if she can go to one of the other mats and work on tumbling, stretch, condition, etc? We knew she’d be nuggeted for part of the routine, but she’s not improving skills by standing in the back while they try to get the stunt to stay up.

CP moved to a senior 3 team of 14. She’s really a level 2 skill wise, but we didn’t have a level 2 team for her this season, and the coaches felt this was a better fit than having her on level 1. She’s basing/spotting some stunts, and is putting up baskets during the elite tumbling sequence, but there are a couple of stunts designed for 12 that she’s out of. CP has had several practices in a row where she was standing and waiting with nothing to do for long periods of time while they worked on those stunts. Last night, that was a full hour of a 3 hour practice.

Is it reasonable for her to ask the coach if she can go to one of the other mats and work on tumbling, stretch, condition, etc? We knew she’d be nuggeted for part of the routine, but she’s not improving skills by standing in the back while they try to get the stunt to stay up.
Very reasonable. The coach should be giving her an assignment during times that she's not actively involved in something. If the coach doesn't do that, your CP should feel very comfortable asking for direction.

I'd never expect my "nuggets" to just sit around while the rest of the team stunts. The only time I will answer "no" when they ask me if they can go tumble, work on jumps, etc is if they ask when we move to a routine section that I know we're only going to be looking at for 5 minutes or so and I'd rather they stay with the team and work their choreo for that section while we review together. However... sometimes I get tunnel vision on the section we're working on and I honestly just FORGET to send the nuggets over to the tumble strip or give them a task. I'm so happy when they come and ask me what I'd like for them to work on improving during that time, and I think any other coach would be, too.

I was a nugget in my time so let me give you some pointers.

Mainly I'd work on other sections of the routine that you are in i.e. jumps, tumbling, etc. and plus SPOT. Like a group might be working on a section and you being there in case something goes wrong can be very useful and might save someone from a potential injury.

My professional stunt nugget usually goes to the “small gym” (other floor) and tumbles with the other nuggets during stunting if she isn’t needed to spot coed stunts or doesn’t have tumbling worked into the stunt counts. She gets told to, but I’d assume if she didn’t she would ask. Definitely have yours ask!

Back