High School What Should I Wear To Tryouts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It was supposed to be a play on words with that Panthers voice over, incase you didn't catch it. But seriously, any one can fly as long as they know how to pull up and stay tight they won't feel like 160 lbs...

Physics do come into play at some point. No matter how great your technique is. I understand how flying works. Yes, the weight acceptance span is pretty wide when it comes to flying, but that doesn't mean being small won't work to your advantage when they coach is scouting out flyers.

Flying is not about being skinny. Please stay healthy=) Put your hair in a neat pony tail. Just look clean. I think a colored t-shirt with a white bow and white shorts would look nice. Chin up, smile and don't watch other people if you forget something.

I understand that's not what flying is about. Coaches look for who they should try out for certain positions, and being small and thin can be to your advantage in the "getting a chance to prove yourself" category. I have plenty of muscle too, don't get me wrong. Although, I understand and appreciate your concern. :) Thanks for the advice I really gotta work on keeping my ponytails neat. :eek:

I understand that's not what flying is about. Coaches look for who they should try out for certain positions, and being small and thin can be to your advantage in the "getting a chance to prove yourself" category. I have plenty of muscle too, don't get me wrong. Although, I understand and appreciate your concern. :) Thanks for the advice I really gotta work on keeping my ponytails neat. :eek:

Being small and thin is an advantage to the bases only. If you can fly, you can fly. Yes, coaches eyes go to the smaller girls, but that's only step 1. A hot mess will not stay in the air. A good flyer is a good flyer, no matter the size. I just think you should focus less on that.

I would focus on your skills and the tryout/tryout requirements rather than what you wear. The coaches aren't going to pay attention to the size of your body when selecting teams. They will select based of skills, energy, and attitude. That should be the focus when you're trying out.

Being small and thin is an advantage to the bases only. If you can fly, you can fly. Yes, coaches eyes go to the smaller girls, but that's only step 1. A hot mess will not stay in the air. A good flyer is a good flyer, no matter the size. I just think you should focus less on that.

I get the impression you didn't read what I wrote. I said that it helps me in the "getting a chance to prove myself" factor. I'm only talking about the way I dress here not my whole strategy...

I would focus on your skills and the tryout/tryout requirements rather than what you wear. The coaches aren't going to pay attention to the size of your body when selecting teams. They will select based of skills, energy, and attitude. That should be the focus when you're trying out.

Aghhgfhghghhghgh I am focusing on my skills. Very much. Have you seen any of my threads!? I wanna wear something nice while having the great skills I'm working for.

& I'm working on my flying, flexibility tumbling etc. as well. Therefore I am very much aware a hot mess in the air will not keep the flying position. I can work on my skills while finding something cute to wear to tryouts. Wanting to look nice doesn't mean I don't care about skills and working hard.

I understand the basics like spanx soffe shorts etc. I'm looking for more specific answers. I want to show off how skinny I am (hoping they'll see a good flyer in me. I fly a little bit on the All-Star team I'm on) without exposing too much. I was thinking of wearing a sports bra without a top, but I don't want to get in trouble either.

Thanks all! :)
I'm sure most schools are going to consider that inappropriate for tryouts. What if you wore a tank top? They are tighter than shirts but are still appropriate. You can do you hair up cute and wear cute make up and a flashy bow to help you stand out from the rest of the flyers. But it's probably best to stick to your school colors. If you could find like a cheetah (or any kind of pattern/print) tank in your school colors that would be cute if you wore it with shorts (also school colors) and a matching bow.

Were always told what to wear.
Last year it was a fitted white racerback tank top, navy blue or black shorts and a white bow.
My freshman and sophomore years it was just wear your school colors and there could be no writing on the shirt or shorts.

& I'm working on my flying, flexibility tumbling etc. as well. Therefore I am very much aware a hot mess in the air will not keep the flying position. I can work on my skills while finding something cute to wear to tryouts. Wanting to look nice doesn't mean I don't care about skills and working hard.

I was giving you an example, not talking about you. It just rubbed me the wrong way when you said you wanted to show off how skinny you are. Good luck with try outs.

Aghhgfhghghhghgh I am focusing on my skills. Very much. Have you seen any of my threads!? I wanna wear something nice while having the great skills I'm working for.

That's good that you wanna look good because when you look good, you feel good :) All I was trying to get at is that the coaches/try out judges will first and foremost look at the skills you're bringing.

For our cheer program you can only wear soffee shorts or nike pros and a tshirt, we cant wear tank tops. try to go the cheer route and wear soffees and a cheer tshirt, with your hair in a high pony with a bow it looks like you are ready to work, and you want to be on the team.

For high school, some freshman do basketball cheer and would wear whatever shirt they had. while trying out for JV. The returning JV girls and Varsity would wear our jerseys with black soffees and a plain bow with a high pony or low braided one which what we do for games. We are not allowed to wear sports bras and I think most high schools wouldn't allow that so covering up would be the best option!

here is the jersey (but wear with soffes and hair up) and the blue shirt the other girl is wearing is actually the one I wore when trying out for JV so a tshirt as simple as that with team colors should be good!
59281_158078107540444_6618725_n.jpg

Pardon the old picture.. lol

Good luck!

Back