What To Expect In High School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 27, 2014
Hi!
I'm a boy who's trying out for cheer next year and I'm wondering what to expect during tryouts, games, competitions, and what tumbling skills I need.
Thanks so much!

Hi!
I'm a boy who's trying out for cheer next year and I'm wondering what to expect during tryouts, games, competitions, and what tumbling skills I need.
Thanks so much!
It will vary widely depending on your school. See if there is a scoresheet posted on your school's website or if it says how the tryout will be scored in their cheer constitution. You can also talk to the current coach to get some more information about what will be expected of you at tryouts. Everyone has different requirements for tumbling/skills.

Just depends on the high school you go to!

I'm a guy to, hated sideline dances, I really only did it to be on a comp team! Lol I didn't do all stars till I graduated , I had fun though!

It will vary widely depending on your school. See if there is a scoresheet posted on your school's website or if it says how the tryout will be scored in their cheer constitution. You can also talk to the current coach to get some more information about what will be expected of you at tryouts. Everyone has different requirements for tumbling/skills.
Awesome thanks

Just depends on the high school you go to!

I'm a guy to, hated sideline dances, I really only did it to be on a comp team! Lol I didn't do all stars till I graduated , I had fun though!
My high school sqaud is just comp I think and now I just have to worry about cheer shoes how I can find a size 14 in mens.

Basically for school cheering, you want to have the basics. Tight, properly placed motions, yell loud and low and DO NOT sing the words. Stunting and tumbling depends on the school. My school has no tumbling requirements for either JV or Varsity. For stunting, varsity has to be able to do extended stunts and be at least working extended libs. Just have fun!

My daughter is on a coed team at High School. Our boys participate for sideline and for our competition team. They don't always do much when our cheerleaders perform for half time (usually dances). Are there boys on the current team? Talk with them. I know our boys are always willing to talk with others about what they do and what they like about cheer. Also - talk with the coach and see what is expected. Find out if your team competes, or only does sideline. Go watch them perform or sit in on a practice. Every teams is going to be different :) Good luck!

Back