What To Look For...?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 19, 2012
Hi, this is my first post here and I am in search of guidance. We are an old gymnastics gym and are looking to start a new cheerleading program. What is the most important aspect of a cheer coach when trying to build a program? Organization? Technique?

We have excellent tumbling instructors already, but know very little about the Cheer world.

I appreciate any thoughts/help you can give me!

Thank you in advance,
Katy

Definitely concentrate on lower levels. Don't try to be something you're not. An amazing level 4 is better than a level 5 with two fulls.

Concentrate on ALL your athletes. My mini level 1 is JUST as important and gets as much attention from me as my sr 4. Those kids are the future yth 2 (a shark tank at competitions) and future jr 3 and sr 4. When you've got eager, always in attendance, younger kids in your gym you will be successful. Ignore those kids and their parents and you'll be out of business in 5 years. Flaky, flippant, full of attitude srs will not carry a program into a long lasting future.

Stay organized and communicate communicate communicate. And if they don't pay their bills make them sit out of practice. This can be hard but if you stick to it they WILL pay. If they don't then they can't participate. You have to be tough about it and if you can't personally be the heavy, hire someone who can (that's actually your best option).

Go to as many conferences and clinics as possible and learn and APPLY what you learn. Study scoresheets like you're preparing for med school.

Good luck!

Back