High School What Tumbling Does Your High School Team Have?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah so far they're looking amazing without tumbling. The school has never competed before and this is my first year as head coach so hopefully going to competitions will motivate some of the girls to also take an outside tumbling class.
Also, depending on the competition they may have non tumbling divisions.

On a high school team? Where do you go to high school? :confused::confused:

I don't go to high school...thank God! My daughter is a freshman at a high school in GA. Cheer is HUGE here. Her school always places in the top 2 or 3 at our state competition.

I don't go to high school...thank God! My daughter is a freshman at a high school in GA. Cheer is HUGE here. Her school always places in the top 2 or 3 at our state competition.
Still though, half team standing fulls is absolutely crazy. Some (most?) world's teams in All-Star don't have that many. If that team does, power to them! But I wonder how they could lose, assuming the rest of their skills are up to snuff with their tumbling!

Still though, half team standing fulls is absolutely crazy. Some (most?) world's teams in All-Star don't have that many. If that team does, power to them! But I wonder how they could lose, assuming the rest of their skills are up to snuff with their tumbling!

Everyone on the teams around here does All-star...most on World's level teams. As you are probably aware there is one really large, well-known gym in GA and several smaller really good ones as well. The thing is that in metro Atlanta...most of the high school teams have World's level girls cheering on them, so the HS state competition here is tough. Because stunting is somewhat limited (no double downs for example), tumbling is a big thing on the score-sheets (standing fulls allowed, but no doubles allowed).

It's crazy to think that to make your HS comp team it is starting to be almost as difficult as making a World's level team at an All-Star gym...but that's what's happening in this part of GA!

Everyone on the teams around here does All-star...most on World's level teams. As you are probably aware there is one really large, well-known gym in GA and several smaller really good ones as well. The thing is that in metro Atlanta...most of the high school teams have World's level girls cheering on them, so the HS state competition here is tough. Because stunting is somewhat limited (no double downs for example), tumbling is a big thing on the score-sheets (standing fulls allowed, but no doubles allowed).

It's crazy to think that to make your HS comp team it is starting to be almost as difficult as making a World's level team at an All-Star gym...but that's what's happening in this part of GA!
Well, I'm glad I don't live there! Not that I ever cheered in high school, but here in Maine there were less than a dozen running fulls total in the entire state last year, though the talent is lesser up here.

Wow! I wish cheer was bigger here where we live. My daughter did competitive for 8 years, but we had to drive 2 hours to get to our gym. She is a freshman this year and decided she wanted to do school cheer. I think our JV squad has 2 girls out of 11 that have a bhs, the rest just little or no tumbling. My daughter has her two to layout. The V squad has 9/13 bhs, 4/13 tucks, 2/13 layouts. I sure miss competitive! :(

Not a tumbling question, but has anybody encountered a flyer who has trouble with their single down? She does it fine from a heel stretch, but when she pulls anything else she goes 1.5 because she is accustomed to all-star and doubling! Any tips?!

I think cp's school team has 4 back tucks this season and I don't even know if they are standing. I don't anticipate them being competitive ;).

Not a tumbling question, but has anybody encountered a flyer who has trouble with their single down? She does it fine from a heel stretch, but when she pulls anything else she goes 1.5 because she is accustomed to all-star and doubling! Any tips?!
Tell your flyer to do nothing. Just pulling her arms down and to her side should rotate her around enough from a big pop. Sometimes you have to approach the problem from the other side. Instead of saying "spin a little less" sometimes you have to say "don't spin at all", then increase the spin little by little. Relearn the skill if it isn't working correctly.

Tell your flyer to do nothing. Just pulling her arms down and to her side should rotate her around enough from a big pop. Sometimes you have to approach the problem from the other side. Instead of saying "spin a little less" sometimes you have to say "don't spin at all", then increase the spin little by little. Relearn the skill if it isn't working correctly.

Good idea! I actually had to tell her to do that today with our full ups, she kept trying to double up, told her to do nothing and a beautiful full up - I'll have to try it with her dismounts later this week as well!

This team was a non-stunting, non-tumbling pep squad until I was hired 14 months ago, so this is HUGE progress:

- 14 cartwheels (All of them! Yay!)
- 10 round offs
- 5 back walkovers (+1 backbend kickover who is this close to making that a walkover!)
- 1 back handspring

We are sideline-only and do not compete. Our crowd goes nuts when the girls do walkovers because they've never seen it before. We put the standing BHS and a round off BHS in our homecoming pep rally routine and everyone in the gym freaked out. It's nice to have the support. :)

I joined the team on Wednesday so idk, but when I was there, JV has 1 back hand spring and Varsity has 4 round off tucks (including me)

Out here in Arizona cheer isn't as big of a deal, but I'm pretty dang proud of the team I've been working with this year. We have a team of 16, and we have:

2 front walkover, RO BHS
4 RO Tuck
2 RO BHS Tuck
1 Front Aerial, RO BHS Tuck

And then for standing we have 9 BHS by themselves, 6 who can do it with a one-handed spot, and two who can do it with a two-handed spot. Compared to last year when I first coached the team and we had 3 RO BHS and 1 RO BHS Tuck, it's a huge improvement!

Reactions: MEH
According to my daughter -- Freshman
There are a total of 21 cheerleaders
Tumbling
~10 have ro multiple bhs
20 have front and back walkover
21 have cartwheels, roundoff
~10 have ro tucks
~7 have layouts
~7 Standing tucks
~2 fulls (my daughter and 1 Senior-Capt.)
1 Standing fulls(1 Senior-Capt.)
Furthermore, most of the girls come from an All-stars backgrond...~16 girls coming from CJA, Jerzey Jewelz, Heat and 1 WC...There are other NJ teams I cannot think of right now...

Last edited:
My daughter was doing this in her kick full. Always dubling on her school team. Ugh. They finally told her just to kick,not to concentrate on pulling and spinning and she'd just get one slow spin back. Seems to have worked. She's singling ok now. She was on Allstar 10 years, so it's a big change. She's got great school coaches though (from the gym she did Allstar at).

Back