High School What tumbling skills do you need to be on varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In Missouri - Its pretty stupid. If you have a standing BHS that SHOULD SECURE your spot on Varsity for the most part. I coach Allstar and a lot of our upper level (Level 3-5) kids do High School. We have a girl with a standing full on hard floor who only made JV because "She wasnt spirited enough" and we have quite a few jumps to back only make JV as well because "their tryout motions werent perfect" Missouri is dumb! I mean, I get the whole you should be sharp and spirited, etc. - but if you are a competition team - Wouldnt you take a girl who has a kick double, standing full, Running specialty full, and is tiny and can fly all body positions to a double? I dont get it! They took girls WITHOUT back handsprings. WEIRD.

In Missouri - Its pretty stupid. If you have a standing BHS that SHOULD SECURE your spot on Varsity for the most part. I coach Allstar and a lot of our upper level (Level 3-5) kids do High School. We have a girl with a standing full on hard floor who only made JV because "She wasnt spirited enough" and we have quite a few jumps to back only make JV as well because "their tryout motions werent perfect" Missouri is dumb! I mean, I get the whole you should be sharp and spirited, etc. - but if you are a competition team - Wouldnt you take a girl who has a kick double, standing full, Running specialty full, and is tiny and can fly all body positions to a double? I dont get it! They took girls WITHOUT back handsprings. WEIRD.

That's whacked. Just as whacked as Toni from wcss not making her high school team.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Haha. Yeah. Toni is FIERCE! I remember my shock when I heard that Maddie was on JV Last year! LOL!

depends on the school for tryouts....some of 'em go by age and senority, others go purely by skill. Also it depends on if the tryout is judged by the coach or outside judges. I've know plenty of HS coaches that were stupid and hated all star gyms because they interfered with their practices...those were the same pigheaded coaches that dubbed all of the girls with the all star confidence/preformance style "showy and having a bad attitude".

depends on the school for tryouts....some of 'em go by age and senority, others go purely by skill. Also it depends on if the tryout is judged by the coach or outside judges. I've know plenty of HS coaches that were stupid and hated all star gyms because they interfered with their practices...those were the same pigheaded coaches that dubbed all of the girls with the all star confidence/preformance style "showy and having a bad attitude".

No, its called having good self esteem and knowing how to perform.
Ohhh some peoplee.

It really depends on your school. Some don't require anything but others require a standing tuck and a robhs tuck

Our school doesnt require tumbling to make varsity, however since it is 25% of the scoresheet at tryouts, we almost always have squad standing bhs on varsity w/ a majority of those having standing tucks too. We have had girls make varsity before that don't have a standing bhs but have very good jumps, dance, and cheer.

To make the Varsity football/basketball squad you have to be at least a sophomore and have a standing tuck and be a strong flyer,base, etc. To make the competition squad you could be a freshman, but you have to have double toe back and be working either a layout or full. To fly last year you had to have a lib to stretch tick tock and a real full up too. Personally, I think they require too much. They don't get a lot of girls that try out at my school because of the tumbling requirements for regular varsity. It's silly because the school board doesn't even let them do anything more than back handsprings or running tucks on the track or hardwood anyway?

A cartwheel on my HS squad was wonderful! We used to have girls who could BHS (no tumbling required, we were/are a VERY small school), but..well we'll just say that they're pretty much a 'permanently rebuilding team.' At least as far as I know..

My school used to require standing back handsprings to make varsity. Now there are no requirements (other than being at least a sophomore), but if you can tumble it certainly helps. (When I judged this year's tryouts, any girls who could tumble had the opportunity to earn five points more than any girl who couldn't tumble.)

Just depends on how big and/or competitive your school is. At our high school, all varsity has standing tucks and most have running BHS-layout/full. There are JV girls with those tumbling skills as well, but maybe just didn't excel in the other important areas of cheer (jumps, motions, creativity, dance, spirit). It's quite an honor to make the cheer squads and they are respected by the teachers, staff, and other students. Girls around here know that if you want to cheer in high school, then you better start working on your skills in elementary school 'cuz the competition is pretty fierce. 99% of the girls do allstars and the other 1% have a gymnastics history/background.
I agree with Rudags, how strange! Our competition team takes the best of the best and tumbling is a HUGE factor.

Latest posts

Back