High School What tumbling skills do you need to be on varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i remember in middle school you were all that and a bag of chips if you had a round off with a high rebound and could hit a prep cradle.

the girls at my middle school had full team standing flip-flops , quite a few tucks , some layouts, and a full! And all level 5 stunts .Where'd u go to middle school?

i remember in middle school you were all that and a bag of chips if you had a round off with a high rebound and could hit a prep cradle.

At my middle school you were the business if you could do a thigh stand. & I was like Jesus cause I knew how to do a backhandspring.. Tucson is so lame haha

Freshman, JV, and Varsity go by grade at my school! There are girls on freshman with fulls and girls on varsity without a BHS. But there's a competition team that anyone on all of the teams can tryout for, you have to have at-least jumps to back and a running layout to make it and they only take the top 15 out of around 70 girls.

Only hs teams I watch are on UCA....or from GA...haha Ohio HS teams arent the best tho..

you dont need it to be on ours cause we are a small schoool, but if you have it thenn its extra points on the score sheet for tryouts

That's whacked. Just as whacked as Toni from wcss not making her high school team.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I understand that this may seem unreasonable, but you have to keep in mind what the team is looking for and needs. If you have a squad of 16 girls you only need 4 main flyers and 1 secondary who doubles as a base so you can do single base stunts. So if you have 5 flyers trying out with super tumbling, it is likely that one of them will not make it, whereas the one base with limited tumbling that can fly will make the team. It is a big misunderstanding that if you are a super tumbler you will automatically make the squaq. And especially for HS that compete, you need alot more than tumbling to make the squad.....spirit and tight motions are just as important, if not more important. Tubmling is only 10 points on the score sheet, but the cheer (UCA) is 35 points.....for this you need spirit, tight motions and stunting....JMO

You have to have a back handspring to even be considered for varsity at my school. But now that we put team round off tucks in the routine I'm pretty sure that will be the requirment next year.

No tumbling pass will get you on varsity for sure for my school. But it's recommended that you have both your tucks, there are plenty of exceptions though if you are super strong in other areas. You have to have a minimum of a clean backhandspring though

like people say, it depends!! but for my team to be on varsity competition the tumbling is toe back, flip flop back, and either roundoff back, or round off flip flop full. But the thing is that the stunting is wayy more important for HS cheer so they mainly picked the good bases!!

In Missouri - Its pretty stupid. If you have a standing BHS that SHOULD SECURE your spot on Varsity for the most part. I coach Allstar and a lot of our upper level (Level 3-5) kids do High School. We have a girl with a standing full on hard floor who only made JV because "She wasnt spirited enough" and we have quite a few jumps to back only make JV as well because "their tryout motions werent perfect" Missouri is dumb! I mean, I get the whole you should be sharp and spirited, etc. - but if you are a competition team - Wouldnt you take a girl who has a kick double, standing full, Running specialty full, and is tiny and can fly all body positions to a double? I dont get it! They took girls WITHOUT back handsprings. WEIRD.
michigan high school coaches hate all star because they lose a lot of athletes to all star teams. at my high school there were 2 level 5 athletes that were put on JV because of their motions....

The team I help out with is in a transition stage, lol. Varsity right now has some girls without tumbling (sr & jr) but most all of our under classmen (soph & fresh) have tumbling. Once the sr&jr class are gone we are going to make tumbling a requirement for varsity(standing BHS, working standing tuck & robhs working robhstuck) since we just started a JV program girls w/o tumbling can still cheer and compete on JV and work on tumbling :).

michigan high school coaches hate all star because they lose a lot of athletes to all star teams. at my high school there were 2 level 5 athletes that were put on JV because of their motions....
Ladies you bring out some very good points, but when you think about it, HS does not go beyond a level 4 which is a full....anything above that is illegal so you can't use it.... Also you have to take into consideration the make-up of the squad....I hate squads with 3 or more stunt groups and only have the one flyer in the middle doing the difficult tricks in the air....all that means is that they are the only one that can do it and it is not part of the team's make-up. At the end of the day there are differences between the requirements/importants of HS and All-star....Oh, I just have to add; Motions and tightness are sooooooo important in HS, we have had one or two All-stars on our squad and it is so hard for them to get the motiions right and to be tight. You have girls that are sooooo flexiable but look like wet noodles in the air because they do not have body control.....it is not very pretty....JMO

Ladies you bring out some very good points, but when you think about it, HS does not go beyond a level 4 which is a full....anything above that is illegal so you can't use it.... Also you have to take into consideration the make-up of the squad....I hate squads with 3 or more stunt groups and only have the one flyer in the middle doing the difficult tricks in the air....all that means is that they are the only one that can do it and it is not part of the team's make-up. At the end of the day there are differences between the requirements/importants of HS and All-star....Oh, I just have to add; Motions and tightness are sooooooo important in HS, we have had one or two All-stars on our squad and it is so hard for them to get the motiions right and to be tight. You have girls that are sooooo flexiable but look like wet noodles in the air because they do not have body control.....it is not very pretty....JMO
you're right but these girls didn't have bad motions or jumps AT ALL... the coach simply just put them on JV because they were all stars.

Back