High School What tumbling skills do you need to be on varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would love to require just a standing backhandspring.. we are asked to take as many as possible... most tumblers end up on Varsity, but I am the assistant and I don't have much say... but from a competition standpoint, it is starting to hurt us and since non-tumble would just kill us locally we work with what we have...

my hs team didnt require any tumbling at all since there are no gyms within an hour of us and most girls dont have any tumbling. its also a pretty small school so we didnt usually get more than 40 girls trying out. usually the team would end up with about half the girls having a back handspring and a few having robhs tucks. this year was the first year in a while that they have had a standing tuck. the team got a new coach a few years ago so they have been rebuilding a lot since then and there will probably be a tumbling requirement (just a bhs) in the near future

My high school varsity requires a standing bhs and/or roundoff bhs. But sometimes people are taken on varsity from jv even if they don't have tumbling but they were needed because someone was injured

well thats pretty unfair...;)
I don't think that's unfair. If they don't have an alternate then they take the best girl from JV that can fill in. We had to do that last year for one of our flyers because our alternate became a base (she was wayyy to big to be a flyer anyways) so we had no flyer alternate when our regular flyer got kicked off. But then again, the girl we pulled up could atleast do a roundoff tuck..

I a
I don't think that's unfair. If they don't have an alternate then they take the best girl from JV that can fill in. We had to do that last year for one of our flyers because our alternate became a base (she was wayyy to big to be a flyer anyways) so we had no flyer alternate when our regular flyer got kicked off. But then again, the girl we pulled up could atleast do a roundoff tuck..
I agree with you, it is not unfair. The tumbling standard for getting on my varisty is a double toe tuck. And, if someone is designated as an alternate for varsity, the would usually cheer with JV until it becomes necessary to pull them up. Girls can get pulled up because they have progressed since tryouts and is now doing better than someone on varsity or if someone is injured, etc.
I know the girls on varsity look forward to being pulled up and they work hard at it. Sometimes you will have someone make varsity but do not progress, so it is possible that someone on JV can move up and take their spot.....just because you made it at tryouts, does not mean that's where you'll stay.....JMO

I a

I agree with you, it is not unfair. The tumbling standard for getting on my varisty is a double toe tuck. And, if someone is designated as an alternate for varsity, the would usually cheer with JV until it becomes necessary to pull them up. Girls can get pulled up because they have progressed since tryouts and is now doing better than someone on varsity or if someone is injured, etc.
I know the girls on varsity look forward to being pulled up and they work hard at it. Sometimes you will have someone make varsity but do not progress, so it is possible that someone on JV can move up and take their spot.....just because you made it at tryouts, does not mean that's where you'll stay.....JMO

It's just how I feel, but I think it's pretty unfair when girls get moved up that don't meet the "strict" requirements to be on a varsity team. I understand that varsity takes priority over a JV team when injuries are involved, however I think that the girl who does get moved up should have the skills that are required to be a part of the specific varsity team. In my school, I know that despite the fact that some girls try significantly harder than others, the ones who get moved up usually do because of politics (popularity, looks, etc). What has happened in my school is that the alternate wasn't chosen based on skill, and therefore when a varsity injury had occurred a JV girl was pulled up that did not meet the varsity requirements, thus resulting in the JV team having to scramble around and rework their routine when the whole situation probably could have been avoided. This is my sixth year being a base and my second year on my school's JV team, and I know that I do meet my varsity's requirements but still have never been given a chance to be on the team. This is just how i feel, no hard feelings! I just wanted to get my opinion out there.

Standing tuck, running bhs tuck, or running bhs layout. And we don't have a JV... well thats what it was last year. but we switched coaches into the season, now we're not competing anymore so idk what the requirements are going to be..

I'm from an area where there are a lot of allstar gyms that feed kids into the high school cheer program. We've also seen an increasing amount of kids who quit their allstar teams once they get to high school and make the competition team. If I was a coach who coached kids at an allstar gym for years and then lost those talented athletes come high school, I would be pretty frustrated.

But reading these and watching videos online, it's really interesting to see the different skills needed from state to state. It's also cool to see how some schools have full squad jumps to back and put up simpler stunts, and then some other competition and varsity teams require only a standing back handspring and are more advanced at stunting. Kinda cool how every team has their own little specialty with what they bring to the table :)

Email the coach and find out if there are any requirements. Then get into a tumbling class, the sooner you start the better. I'm sure most coaches take the people who are closest to getting the skills if not enough girls meet the requirements.
But also just make sure at the tryouts you always have a good attitude and are willing to work hard.

Its a handspring for my team. After that, I take as much tumbling as I can. Having every stunt group be able to do a full up is the first priority. If it takes putting a girl in the team without a round off tuck, then so be it! Generally girls with round off tucks and standing tucks get put in stunt groups first.

Its a handspring for my team. After that, I take as much tumbling as I can. Having every stunt group be able to do a full up is the first priority. If it takes putting a girl in the team without a round off tuck, then so be it! Generally girls with round off tucks and standing tucks get put in stunt groups first.

I was just saying this to my friend last night re: people w/ tumbling in stunt groups.

I have a team from a school where the requirements are less strict (honestly think its bc the program needs a make over and the head honcho won't change) and the principal SUPPOSEDLY wants more to have a chance... I think next season I am going to build the stunt groups w/ more tumbling in mind so I am not wasting so many 8 counts on getting people places b/c they can't tumble. AGAIN not totally my choice re: the team make up, but i can make it easier for myself and try other options w/ stunt groups :)

In kind of depends where you stand in comparison to the rest of those who try out. Let's say you have a tuck. If everyone else tries out with only BHS, you'll probably make team. If everyone else had fulls and you have a tuck, you might not be first on the list.

Back