All-Star What Was One Thing You Wish Someone Told You About Allstar Cheer Before You Started??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermom1981

Cheer Parent
Jun 30, 2013
Just looking to see what responses come up since my daughter and I are new to this sport!

thanks for your time... :D

Tumbling is important. If she wants to level up next year, perfect those tumbling skills and start working on the next level when she has perfected them. Privates can be beneficial in that area depending on your CP/how they do tumbling at your gym.

I wish someone would I told me that I would experience a lot of things that seem unfair when it comes to rules, scoring, judging, and many other things. With the sport really still being in its infancy stages there are so many aspects that need ironed out. I, like so many others, am trying to be patient and understanding that “fairness” is in the eye of the beholder. Coming from a gymnastics background I am sure you have dealt with not always agreeing with assessments, scores and placements. All of that is about to get taken to an entirely different level. My advice is to keep it all in perspective. ;)

She will learn so many life lessons. In the end, it's not the titles you won, or the jackets you have hanging in your closet. It's the memories, friends, and lessons that you can carry with you for the rest of your life. Cherish every moment because it goes by faster than you could ever imagine.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Okay so when we did rec I swore there was no way in hell I would let my kids do All-Star the parents seemed to intense and all the kids were in tiny little uniforms - one group basically had booty shorts and a jog bra style top.
Flash forward many years later of All-Star (long story how that came to be).
1) That my kids will be pushed to new limits.
2) That they and I will have to learn to get along with many personalities and come together for the good of the team.
3)That this is probably the sport where TEAM means the most... I mean you can't just grab a sub the day of the comp if a kid wakes up with 101 fever and puking and they will know exactly where and what to do. Each CP is important and valuable and plays a vital part. It is sad, frustrating when some parents don't get that their child missing practice for a birthday party really does effect the whole team especially during comp time.
4) My husband learned that cheer is a sport (this was a major conversion over the first year as he was not pleased CPs dropped other sports to focus on cheer).
5) That each gym has its own frustrations good things and bad things and they can change with teams and times. And each gym has it's own philosophy and style that really is important.

Sure they are more - Generally we feel blessed to find a gym that fits with our family views that also pushes my children just the right amount. There are certainly times where even a place that I am happy with frustrates me but it is like family and finding that really made it a sport that my children are passionate about it and I feel it is worth our families time and money.

That if she doesn't love it, it really is ok to let her do something else. I wish I'd let my younger one do her own thing years ago - but I was too busy thinking how much easier it was to have both in the same activity. One, I was wrong on that. And two, now she's not cheering and she could have been doing something she loves for years instead of just one year.

And I totally agree about how fast it goes! My older one is grown and moved out and I'm just sitting here in a pile of rhinestones and glitter wondering where the time went. Wishing we'd slowed down and enjoyed it more. :(

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

That if she doesn't love it, it really is ok to let her do something else. I wish I'd let my younger one do her own thing years ago - but I was too busy thinking how much easier it was to have both in the same activity. One, I was wrong on that. And two, now she's not cheering and she could have been doing something she loves for years instead of just one year.

This, times a million.

I don't know if this is the same for other sports because cheer was the only thing I did for a long period of time. But, you will have the most amazing connection with the people you cheer with. I cheered all stars for 6 years, and was on the same team for 5 of the years. The bond I have with the girls I cheered with is unlike any other bond I have with anyone else. We went through so many things together - exciting wins, tough losses, hard practices, injuries, breakups, laughs, tears, everything! They become MUCH more than your teammates. You have a level of trust with them that is hard to develop in just a normal friendship. I know that the relationships I have with my (old) teammates will last a lifetime. I may not talk to them for weeks/months/years, but when we do, we pick right back up where we left off.

Back