All-Star What Would Level 7 Look Like?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
I’m sure this has been debated before, but lately I’ve been wondering what a level 7 division would look like. I understand it’s not exactly on the horizon as a development (level 6 barely has enough interest), but one of the things that I love about all star cheer is that the ceiling is always being raised. Sooner or later, level 6 will be inundated the same way level 5 is and then where do we go?

Anyway, I was thinking it might venture into more acrobatic stunts similar to those people towers they build in Spain?

What do you think?

It would seem so! But Worlds is over and my non-cheer co-workers are getting tired of me talking at them about stuff they do not understand/care about.

Also, I have to do something else than research jump drills my girls aren’t going to do anyway.

Come conjecture with me.

Honestly it feels like difficulty is usually lowered not raised from the rule changes.

You think so? Interesting.

I was watching Cheerleaders on YouTube and in one of the first episodes a guy remarked how his stunt group “didn’t have the 1.5 yet.” Now only two years later 1.5’s a given (among top teams), and double ups are almost commonplace. This is what I love about all-star cheer: the increasing level of difficulty we get to see in a very short time span. It’s this realisation that got me wondering about where difficulty levels go from here because if things keep increasing as exponentially as they have been, we’re due to top out eventually.

I was watching Cheerleaders on YouTube and in one of the first episodes a guy remarked how his stunt group “didn’t have the 1.5 yet.” Now only two years later 1.5’s a given (among top teams), and double ups are almost commonplace. This is what I love about all-star cheer: the increasing level of difficulty we get to see in a very short time span. It’s this realisation that got me wondering about where difficulty levels go from here because if things keep increasing as exponentially as they have been, we’re due to top out eventually.

We have topped out, according to the rules. Now it's coming down to who can do it better, thankfully. Everyone has to double down at Worlds, but who is doing it in a hollow body, toes pointed and tougher, hips initiating the twist. And who can get every stunt group to look the same and do it at the exact same time. Before, everyone just threw the janky double downs cos they had to have them but shouldn't have been pulling them

ETA - Oh, and who can get creative with transitions and what is allowed already - IE. Top Gun and their basket grabbing legs. Still allowed, but being creative and playing with what is allowed

Not a lot of difference in safety between a 1 1/2 up and a double up. Making a triple up legal would require more than one complete rotation of the skill to be completed by the bases hot-stepping it in a circle. That's not only goofy looking but dangerous.

Not a lot of difference in safety between a 1 1/2 up and a double up. Making a triple up legal would require more than one complete rotation of the skill to be completed by the bases hot-stepping it in a circle. That's not only goofy looking but dangerous.

or you can huck a fully released triple up..... like a double but better, annnnd bases don't even have to move!! Talk about innovation ;) & totally safe.... right?

If anything they are going to start capping lower levels and stretch out skills over more levels to try to emulate gymnastics that goes to level 10. Maybe if they do that then we can start to get to double backs and some of the more intense partner stunting you see in acro.

We have topped out, according to the rules. Now it's coming down to who can do it better, thankfully. Everyone has to double down at Worlds, but who is doing it in a hollow body, toes pointed and tougher, hips initiating the twist. And who can get every stunt group to look the same and do it at the exact same time. Before, everyone just threw the janky double downs cos they had to have them but shouldn't have been pulling them

ETA - Oh, and who can get creative with transitions and what is allowed already - IE. Top Gun and their basket grabbing legs. Still allowed, but being creative and playing with what is allowed

They really need to make some new allowances with the double downs. I’m super tired of seeing the same cradles and tosses over again.

It’s even worse in HS cheer because they took away our double downs a few years ago. But they let us do punch fronts instead so...that’s almost the same.

Speaking of creativity: in the same vein as TGLC’s grabby-legs cradle (which is sort of a hyperextended barrel turn in dance terms), I’d like to see illusions incorporated in a stunt somehow:

They really need to make some new allowances with the double downs. I’m super tired of seeing the same cradles and tosses over again.

It’s even worse in HS cheer because they took away our double downs a few years ago. But they let us do punch fronts instead so...that’s almost the same.

Speaking of creativity: in the same vein as TGLC’s grabby-legs cradle (which is sort of a hyperextended barrel turn in dance terms), I’d like to see illusions incorporated in a stunt somehow:

We did a variation of an illusion waaaay back in 2005. It was pretty cool.

Back