OT What Would You Do (beauty School) Higher Education Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 24, 2015
I don't know if any of you have been to beauty school or not but I really need help.

9/10 I will probably be going to Aveda Institutes since it is the closest. However, I've had a friend of mine who did not have a very good experience there. She admits that 80% of it was her and not taking it seriously enough because she thought she could do the same thing in beauty school that she did in high school, and still get a pass to graduate ( not pass test, study last minute, flunk the entire two core classes and then get put out on the floor) She quickly realized it was no where near the same and she regrets every bit of it. She did express that a good percentage was them not being professional. Restarting her on the third day after having just coming back from restarting, was very unorganized on their new three day schedule, Cindy (the NC state board inspector) wasn't very pleased with the last inspecting visit, and she said that the director blamed them (students) instead of blaming the teachers for not taking sanitation seriously, and not expressing it to the students enough. The dress code was never enforced. (hair, makeup done, and wearing all black) well now you get to pay 5.00 to wear a pair of dark and neat fitted jeans, if not that, you have to wear all black which is normal for beauty schools of course, however, many of them got away with dirty yoga pants, or ripped dress pants, tops that showed too much cleavage, and sneakers. (sneakers goes against the dress code). She felt like a lot of times the teachers would pick and choose favorites. Especially when it came to missing school. (which was supposed to be a huge no-no)

Needless to say, its been two years since she's gone there and it has been rumored around that they hired 90% new staff including a new director and moved to a more spacious location (which is true) The reason why I'm taking my friends experience into account is because she isn't the only one who has left that school with a bad taste in her mouth. I've heard similar stories from a lot of people at that location and I'm afraid I might experience the same. The reason why I want to go to Aveda is because they believe in all natural products and so do I, its a high end school and it looks very good on resumes, most people are hired directly after they have graduated, etc. I've had a strong passion for hair and makeup for a while now and truly want to get into it more. I do realize its a lot money, hard work, standing on your feet all day, but I'm willing to work my but off getting licensed and having a career in cosmetology

Since they have moved, and hired new staff the reviews of the school seemed to have changed to a more positive light so I'm glad to hear that. I guess what I'm asking is, what would you do if you kept hearing bad reviews about a school, but then things changed when they hired new staff and moved to a new location how would you choose?

The next available location would be Paul Mitchell but because of transportation issues it is unlikely i'd attend. I've already toured there and everything, but its just kind of far from where I am.

I've contacted Aveda about meeting up next week, and i'm just waiting to hear a response. I know that at the end of the day the decision is ultimately up to me. I just want advice about beauty school all together, and what would you do in this situation.

TIA :)

I think I'd ask if I could sit in some of the classes to see what it's really like. Maybe spend a couple of days shadowing another student. You'll learn about all those things you heard complaints about and if they've changed. I know nothing about beauty school but if this one will get you to where you want to be then I wouldn't give up on it because of what others have said.

I think I'd ask if I could sit in some of the classes to see what it's really like. Maybe spend a couple of days shadowing another student. You'll learn about all those things you heard complaints about and if they've changed. I know nothing about beauty school but if this one will get you to where you want to be then I wouldn't give up on it because of what others have said.
Thank you when I meet with them next week I'll see if I can shadow. I know at Paul Mitchell you have to already had signed the enrollment papers and such to be considered to shadow, hopefully it is not the same way here. I don't plan on signing any papers yet.

@dance_extreme_94, I was going to suggest the same thing @Eyes On The Prize and let the school know you are ambivalent and need a week to try it out... Most vocational school will probably be okay with this idea. What I do know about a lot of vocational schools, they are rated by their turnover rates of both staff and students and the number of students who complete the program and pass and become certify and all working in the field.
So I will ask to shadow the program, especially considering their prior history.

@dance_extreme_94, I was going to suggest the same thing @Eyes On The Prize and let the school know you are ambivalent and need a week to try it out... Most vocational school will probably be okay with this idea. What I do know about a lot of vocational schools, they are rated by their turnover rates of both staff and students and the number of students who complete the program and pass and become certify and all working in the field.
So I will ask to shadow the program, especially considering their prior history.
Thank you and just asking, why did you give me a negative rating?

We checked out Aveda in NYC and was turned off big time. They did not seem very enthusiastic about their program at all! We had to ask all the questions as they did not just speak about overall program. Then 30 min after we left the place they called to say we had an appt at such and suck and wondering if we were coming! My Cp is going to Paul Mitchell in Sept in Schenectody Ny. They are soooo enthusiastic about their school and speak highly of everything! She can't wait to go! Good luck to U!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We checked out Aveda in NYC and was turned off big time. They did not seem very enthusiastic about their program at all! We had to ask all the questions as they did not just speak about overall program. Then 30 min after we left the place they called to say we had an appt at such and suck and wondering if we were coming! My Cp is going to Paul Mitchell in Sept in Schenectody Ny. They are soooo enthusiastic about their school and speak highly of everything! She can't wait to go! Good luck to U!

Wooooo upstate NY :) Fun fact: Schenectady is about an hour from my college town.

I hear from my friends who live in that area that there is a great Mexican place in Schenectady called Bombers. They rave about their burritos (and margaritas since it has a bar on the upper(?) floor). Hope CP gets a chance to check it out!

My cp is also going to Paul Mitchell! I think in October (but she's going to the one in downtown Chicago). She's soooo excited to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My cp is also going to Paul Mitchell! I think in October (but she's going to the one in downtown Chicago). She's soooo excited to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
It has always been her passion with hair and make up!

Wooooo upstate NY :) Fun fact: Schenectady is about an hour from my college town.

I hear from my friends who live in that area that there is a great Mexican place in Schenectady called Bombers. They rave about their burritos (and margaritas since it has a bar on the upper(?) floor). Hope CP gets a chance to check it out!

I mix up Schenectady and Skaneateles on a daily basis and I still can't say either one correctly. And I just got excited about Mexican food because I was like "that's right here!..." nope that's Skaneateles.

I am a licensed esthetician and massage therapist. I have taken classes at both schools. Paul Mitchell, hands down. There are so many opportunities that they give thier students. Definitely try to attend at least one IBS convention (usually in NYC or Vegas). They are amazing.

My 19 yo daughter just completed Paul Mitchell The School here in Florida and is signed up to take her state boards and is now apprenticing at a very upscale salon at the beach here. She truly enjoyed her core classes at PMTS, loved the guest speakers/artists that they have in all the time. PMTS is always doing something and they have a lot going on in there for everyone. A friend of mine's kid did the Aveda Institute and that kid really liked it and is out working now at an upscale salon, too. I know attendance is big at either school. I wondered how enthused my PMTS graduate was going to stay after the very artistic hustle and bustle of the large school salon/store, tons of people in there all the time, but she seems to be transferring to a real world salon just fine. Luckily she is still at home so she can go the slower route of apprenticing that a lot of the higher-end salons seem to require. She gets paid flat rate by the hour while apprenticing, so she is thrilled.

My 19 yo daughter just completed Paul Mitchell The School here in Florida and is signed up to take her state boards and is now apprenticing at a very upscale salon at the beach here. She truly enjoyed her core classes at PMTS, loved the guest speakers/artists that they have in all the time. PMTS is always doing something and they have a lot going on in there for everyone. A friend of mine's kid did the Aveda Institute and that kid really liked it and is out working now at an upscale salon, too. I know attendance is big at either school. I wondered how enthused my PMTS graduate was going to stay after the very artistic hustle and bustle of the large school salon/store, tons of people in there all the time, but she seems to be transferring to a real world salon just fine. Luckily she is still at home so she can go the slower route of apprenticing that a lot of the higher-end salons seem to require. She gets paid flat rate by the hour while apprenticing, so she is thrilled.
My cp does not want to work in a salon. Her dream is to travel with magazine/photographer etc. She will have to work 500 hours in Ny then take Ct test. She talks about a 12 week course in London next fall for makeup class. I am excited for her!

Back