High School What Would You Do? Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 27, 2009
What is everyones experience with an athlete being diagnosed with Mono? How long were they out for?

Here is my situation....

I have a competition team of 16, with 3 pretty solid stunt groups (ideally they would like to see 4 with 16...). I was just informed one of my flyers has Mono. I do not have any other flyers (alternates are all bases/backs, and JV has no flyers we can pull up w/o ruining their routine). Her doctor told her she had to be out for 2 weeks (1 week down, 1 to go) and then come back for her check-up. She seems to think she'll be cleared at that 2 week mark but I'm not holding my breath, as we all know how hard Mono is on the body. Plus - her flying after having Mono makes me very, very nervous.

I'm just stuck. Do I rule her out now "prematurely" and change the routine? What if her doctor does clear her? Will she even have the stamina to finish this routine? Would you change the routine now? This first week we've been continuing the routine as is with one group marking, but I feel as though I'm doing them an injustice with not fully preparing them for competition. If this flyer is indeed out, I also have to take out 3 other girls and drop down to 12, as having those "extra" girls on the mat doing nothing with only 2 stunts up would kill us.

I've gone over this situation and all the scenarios in my head and with my JV coach so many times since Monday, and I just need to see how other coaches see this situation and how they would handle it? In my head I think I know what I should do, but all of those "what ifs" keep popping up.

FYI, I coach in MA; so we have 2 invitationals in October; Leagues 1st week of November; Regionals, 2nd week of Nov.; and States third week of Nov.

The recovery time for mono can depend on the individual and degree. I have had full blown mono 4 times. The first time was when I was in middle school and was a competitive gymnast. I was out of school and practice for 4 weeks. When I did go back to practice I had to ease back in and there were certain things I couldn't do right away to make sure I didn't injure my spleen. In my case me spleen was inflamed. So it really depends on what the degree is.
It is so difficult to predict what to do when a cheerleader is out sick or injured. I have a base out right now. We only have two stunt groups so it really affects us. Luckily we don't compete until January. In the past when I have had illnesses or injuries I come up with multiple plans for changes to the routine so I am ready. If you have to go without this flyer can you use the other three girls as front spots. I have done that in the past and I have also had the stunt group mark their stunts for a competition if I know the injured or sick cheerleader will be returning. Good luck!

I know this is different but I had broncitis for a whole month. I had practice and competed with it.

I would pull from JV even if it is temporary, you need a backup plan and if you have no additional flyers, then you need to do what is needed.

If she has any spleen inflammation she won't be able to cheer, so I would have a back up plan for sure.

That's what I'm worried about! Even if she is cleared - one wrong turn or catch and it could end badly. I feel for the girls who want to compete and "push through" but... health comes first.

That's what I'm worried about! Even if she is cleared - one wrong turn or catch and it could end badly. I feel for the girls who want to compete and "push through" but... health comes first.
Also if you can make sure her doctor knows exactly what she is doing when she tells him/her "I'm a cheerleader." Not every doctors perception of cheer has moved past the 1950s and you want to make sure that whatever orders he/she gives her are based on an accurate perception. Her health and safety depend on it.

don't have a "back up" plan....

It's not a "back up" plan, it's a "I'm sorry you and the team had crappy luck this time, but she's going in the routine" plan.

By calling this girl your "back up" plan, you're getting her hopes up, and swirling everyone's anxiety up. Just tell the sick girl she's had a crappy run of luck, but it's in everyone's best interest to not be switching people out at the last minute. If she's a good teammate, she will be disappointed, but understand. If she's a bad teammate, her mom will call you and b****. In either case, you're doing what's best for your team.

Mono x spleen enlargement + blow to abdomen = dead cheerleader

Was it Seattle where that happened?

I know this is different but I had broncitis for a whole month. I had practice and competed with it.

Cheerleading (and sports in general) need to stop treating playing/competing sick and injured like a badge of honor. It is not impressive to take poor care of your health and prolong your illness/injury by not letting your body rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a "back up" plan, it's a "I'm sorry you and the team had crappy luck this time, but she's going in the routine" plan.

By calling this girl your "back up" plan, you're getting her hopes up, and swirling everyone's anxiety up. Just tell the sick girl she's had a crappy run of luck, but it's in everyone's best interest to not be switching people out at the last minute. If she's a good teammate, she will be disappointed, but understand. If she's a bad teammate, her mom will call you and b****. In either case, you're doing what's best for your team.

Massachusetts, I think. Girl was caught wrong in a double down and died. She was 14.

To this day I wonder whether her physician gave her the right orders and knew what cheerleading entails in this day and age.

Last edited:

It's like you were able to gather all my thoughts and actually put them into words!

Massachusetts, I believe it happened about 12 years ago. Very tragic.

Cheerleading (and sports in general) need to stop treating playing/competing sick and injured like a badge of honor. It is not impressive to take poor care of your health and prolong your illness/injury by not letting your body rest.

This! When I originally spoke with the mother, she I said something along the lines "Oh, so she will be out indefinitely until she is healthy" and the mother replied "Oh, she's strong she'll be back quick." I was almost speechless... it's .... Health > HS cheer, not the other way around.

All I'm going to say is that 2 years ago my son lost one of his best friends due to an injury he sustained in a football game, he had a lacerated spleen Bc he had mono, but no one knew it.
Blunt force trauma like a hit to the abdominal area can be deadly. He was 17.
Cheer is dangerous, flyers fall,
Please make alternative arrangements and do not allow her to stunt until the virus is completely over. It's not worth it.
Just my opinion and experience.
And today is 2 years we lost Evan to this terrible tragedy.
Do what's best for the athlete at all times.

All I'm going to say is that 2 years ago my son lost one of his best friends due to an injury he sustained in a football game, he had a lacerated spleen Bc he had mono, but no one knew it.
Blunt force trauma like a hit to the abdominal area can be deadly. He was 17.
Cheer is dangerous, flyers fall,
Please make alternative arrangements and do not allow her to stunt until the virus is completely over. It's not worth it.
Just my opinion and experience.
And today is 2 years we lost Evan to this terrible tragedy.
Do what's best for the athlete at all times.

This! Health > Athletics.

Latest posts

Back