What's The Difference Between A Main Base And A Side Base?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 21, 2012
I'm just starting out as a cheerleader and I just wanted to know what the difference between a main base a side base is. If anyone could help me out, that'd be great! :)

*Really the only difference is the way you grip the flyers foot, for more detail see below:)*

In a typical stunt, a main base would be on the right side of the flyer. A side base on the left, but if you are doing a two legged stunt i.e. elevator/extension there really is no difference between them! One legged stunts can vary by the difficulty of the stunt. A generic liberty is the same grip for the main base, but with the side base you just grip the middle/arch of the foot, versus gripping the heel and the toe when basing a two legged stunt! Hope that this helped!

*Really the only difference is the way you grip the flyers foot, for more detail see below:)*

In a typical stunt, a main base would be on the right side of the flyer. A side base on the left, but if you are doing a two legged stunt i.e. elevator/extension there really is no difference between them! One legged stunts can vary by the difficulty of the stunt. A generic liberty is the same grip for the main base, but with the side base you just grip the middle/arch of the foot, versus gripping the heel and the toe when basing a two legged stunt! Hope that this helped!

Thank you so much! That definitely helped! :)

we call it a 'secondary base', and I think of it as it sounds. The main base holds the main grip (toe & heel) and the secondary/side base holds the rest of the foot (middle/arch of foot). And the same goes for trick stunts like full ups, the main base has the grip that spins the flyer and the secondary/side base throws and catches.

Its the way you hold the foot. For two leg stunts you hold it the same way because you each have your own foot obviously, but for one legs the main holds the toe and the heel and the second holds the middle of the foot

A main base stands to the right of the flyer and holds most of the flyers weight. A side base stands to the left and supports the rest of the weight

Back