College What's The Difference Between Ncata And Stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm definitely a fan of A&T, but I'm afraid that people will consider it to be gymnastics rather than comp cheer b/c of the scoring. If people start referring to A&T as gymnastics rather than cheer, we might never get credit for our hard work (sounds kind of paranoid, but that's how I feel).

Edit: "college cheer teams often are focused on achieving a look or a size that doesn’t fit student-athletes who wish to develop the strength necessary for a more demanding athletic sport." I got that off of the official NCATA site. I know that UK does that (for practical stunting reasons), but do other colleges do that (I know that some colleges will make the coach/es cut kids that don't fit the look that the school wants)? I hope that the spreading popularity of A&T will stop schools from treating us like disposable marketing tools. And have you guys ever been to a comp that scores the uniform? (For reasons other that safety violation.)
Every time I refer to A & T as cheer my daughter says "it's not cheer it's Acro"...so that's what I call it now.

I'm definitely a fan of A&T, but I'm afraid that people will consider it to be gymnastics rather than comp cheer b/c of the scoring. If people start referring to A&T as gymnastics rather than cheer, we might never get credit for our hard work (sounds kind of paranoid, but that's how I feel).

Edit: "college cheer teams often are focused on achieving a look or a size that doesn’t fit student-athletes who wish to develop the strength necessary for a more demanding athletic sport." I got that off of the official NCATA site. I know that UK does that (for practical stunting reasons), but do other colleges do that (I know that some colleges will make the coach/es cut kids that don't fit the look that the school wants)? I hope that the spreading popularity of A&T will stop schools from treating us like disposable marketing tools. And have you guys ever been to a comp that scores the uniform? (For reasons other that safety violation.)

To me A&T is a blend of gymnastics and cheer. Has a lot of cheer components but judging is under the gymnastic umbrella.

I

Last edited:
Love this thread ! been a long time since I've been on the "board" lol ... A&T for my cp at Gannon university next fall :D she signed during the early signing period and is so excited.

Since this thread is back, is A&T a coed thing? All the social media creeping I've done suggests it's not, but I was wondering if there was something I hadn't seen. I know that would way jack up all that Title IX business for the schools. And I know it could definitely be in the future, but if a guy goes into college wanting to be on an A&T team, is he just out of luck?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Since this thread is back, is A&T a coed thing? All the social media creeping I've done suggests it's not, but I was wondering if there was something I hadn't seen. I know that would way jack up all that Title IX business for the schools. And I know it could definitely be in the future, but if a guy goes into college wanting to be on an A&T team, is he just out of luck?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Correct. :-(

Love this thread ! been a long time since I've been on the "board" lol ... A&T for my cp at Gannon university next fall :D she signed during the early signing period and is so excited.
She will love it! My daughter goes to Azusa but we live in Pittsburgh. Keeping fingers crossed for Azusa to come to this part of the country for a meet next season.

How is everyone's daughter liking Acro? My daughter is graduating early so this will be her last season. My next one won't start until 2016, so I have a year off. Are any of you going to Nationals in WV? We live in Pittsburgh and I can go on Thursday night and Friday morning and then I leave for Worlds. Would love to say hello to anyone going!

How is everyone's daughter liking Acro? My daughter is graduating early so this will be her last season. My next one won't start until 2016, so I have a year off. Are any of you going to Nationals in WV? We live in Pittsburgh and I can go on Thursday night and Friday morning and then I leave for Worlds. Would love to say hello to anyone going!

My daughter is loving A&T. She feels it is much less stress than allstar cheer. Her 1st year was a transition year - retraining technique to gymnastics standard - still work in progress. She misses the amount of tumbling practice she use to do in all star but fore Me I am glad as this is on hard floor vs spring. Her body needs to get through 4 years.

I will be in WV twice this year - end of March and then for Natioanls. I am looking forward to it as my whole family will be able to see what she loves to do for the first time. I am from Fairmont WV - so nationals is in my old stomping grounds.

Looking forward towering new allstar moms now A&T moms.

Congrats - it will be a transition but worth it. Scoring is straight forward and understanding.

Is STUNT coed?
No, it is only all-girl. Maybe in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath about it. This is from the FAQ's of the NCATA website:
"Q: Could this be a co-ed sport?

A: The NCATA’s mission is to bring Acrobatics and Tumbling to women’s emerging sport status. There is a possibility the sport could develop at different levels as a co-ed sport, but that is not the goal or intent of NCATA."

Back