When A Sudden Injury Ends Your Cheer Career (as An Athlete) ...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2014
You've been cheering since you could walk ..... Life has been so great and full of glitter & bows for YEARS. Really that's all you know. Sure, you have ups and downs on the floor (your team can't always win, right?) ... But it's ok because there's always another competition. Always next season. When you graduate high school, there is college cheer and open divisions in allstar.

One day at a regular practice, without warning, your career as a competitive cheerleader is over. Forever. It happens in a split second. You woke up that very same day knowing where you were going to cheer in college .. And now you can't walk. In an extreme case you may never walk again ....
This is life changing for a young athlete .... How do you cope?

You've been cheering since you could walk ..... Life has been so great and full of glitter & bows for YEARS. Really that's all you know. Sure, you have ups and downs on the floor (your team can't always win, right?) ... But it's ok because there's always another competition. Always next season. When you graduate high school, there is college cheer and open divisions in allstar.

One day at a regular practice, without warning, your career as a competitive cheerleader is over. Forever. It happens in a split second. You woke up that very same day knowing where you were going to cheer in college .. And now you can't walk. In an extreme case you may never walk again ....
This is life changing for a young athlete .... How do you cope?

Recommend coaching. Give back to the cheer World!

I was improving on a level 3 squad when my flyer bent her knee in a lib extension. She came down, I caught her on my shoulder and dislocated my collarbone. Cheer over. Now I'm a qualified coach and am starting my own gym. Happy ending :)

It happened to my daughter a few months ago. She is fortunate enough to coach the little ones but misses being on that mat with her teammates.

My daughter has endured the usual cheer injuries over the years and spent plenty of time on crutches. But those injuries were insignificant in comparison to an injury she suffered four months ago. She did the same thing she did at practice every other day but this day was destined to be different. When the doctor began to speak she knew her life as she knew it was going to change. We were told her back was fractured in four places. She was lucky to be walking. Since then our days have been filled with fittings for a huge chin to butt brace to be worn 24/7, x-rays, and lots of doctors appointments. Aside from that she started a regimen of bone building supplements. At times taking 25-30 pills daily. Everyone knew cheer was over for her but she refused to accept her fate. Determination accounts for a lot. Tomorrow she catches a flight to Dallas to cheer at NCA And she couldn't be happier. She remains under doctors care. As her mother, am I happy? Not so much. I'd rather she not engage in an activity that puts her at such risk. But, cheer is what she loves. Does this injury end her cheering days ? It may, but that remains to be seen.

My junior year of college about half way through I woke up one morning and could not extend my hand/fingers out of a fist. I wasn't really in pain but I just couldn't open my hand or lift my wrist. After tons of doctor apt I found out I had radial nerve palsy and had to quit cheer. I was really devastated because I only had a year and a half left to cheer and I felt it just ended to quickly. I now coach high school cheer and I can tell you it has defiantly helped with the lost I felt not being able to cheer anymore. I have gotten so much back from coaching and I still get to be a part of something that was so important to me and such a big part of my life. I am not sure how old you are but when you are old enough, if you aren't already, I HIGHLY recommend coaching. Just because you can not physically cheer anymore does not mean you can not still be part of the cheerleading community and ultimately give back to other athletes.

Back