When Do You Start Competing And Are You Ready?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
We debut this season as allstar rec- were regular town cheerleaders last season. Our first competition is in exactly a month- I feel that my sr 4 and y2 will have no problems but we are still stuggling with my jr2. With 1 month to go im getting nervous.

Our first competition is November 17th and I'm starting to get a little nervous. One of my main flyers and tumblers broke her hand two weeks ago and we're still not sure exactly how long she's going to be out. I know whatever it is, the girls can pull off, so I'm excited/nervous because this will be our debut as a program.

Don't be nervous! I coach around 30 5th and 6th graders and let me tell you, at the beginning of Sept. I thought we would have a routine full of thigh stands and nuggets but they have really pulled it together. We competed this past Friday night and every stunt hit (including the Lib they just got Thursday) and all the tumbling went off fine (3 round off back tucks!).
You will ALWAYS struggle with the younger rec teams. It happens.
As for injurys, they happen all the time, we had a girl who started as a base dislocate a shoulder during practice and move to fronting, then ended up backing for the comp and did AMAZING. Our next comp is three weeks away and I can't wait to see what they will learn by then.

Did I tell you ladies that I absolutely miss coaching....My first year off in 12...but I still go to the gym and help out....
1st competition is in 2 weeks....already. Wow! 10/21/12

Update- 4 girls on my j2 are injured- all at seperate times- have changed routine 4 times- most stunt groups are finally hitting- pyramid is hitting- and dance is progressing- my sr 4 has had 1 girl hurt and 1 with possible mono- changed that routine- 4 of the 5 stunt groups are hitting-just changed pyramid- crossing fingers - nov 3rd is coming very quickly... keep up the good work all-

My CP 1st comp. is on the 17th and they aren't looking so good. They can't hold their pyramid and they haven't heard their music. They where so much further ahead last year then this year, compared to the fact we where the team that couldn't be bet last year :(

cheermominar don't sweat it so much. They still have 15 days and in the cheer world that's a very very long time.
Many times stunts and pyramids don't come together until the week prior to the competition, especially in the Rec world. It'll all work out. The more stressed you get the more stressed your CP will be.
If the music doesn't show up by the week of the comp I'd address it with the coach it's a valid question and she should have an answer to a simple question like that.

Coach Kelli It's just way different from last year, 1st off we didn't have a comp. until Dec. and they pretty much had it nailed by then. Uniforms just came in, not all fit right (my daughters nipples are on the verge of showing when she raises her arms up all the way). I haven't had her do her tucks etc. in it, can you lose points if nipples pop out -lol- Other people are having issues with uniforms also. Dress rehearsal is this Sunday and then the Sat after is comp. so I have that much time to fix it -lol- Of course the teams aren't the same from year to year, girls come and go and a lot didn't come back this year and a just a couple of new ones came :( Thanks for the encouragement :)

Coach Kelli It's just way different from last year, 1st off we didn't have a comp. until Dec. and they pretty much had it nailed by then. Uniforms just came in, not all fit right (my daughters nipples are on the verge of showing when she raises her arms up all the way). I haven't had her do her tucks etc. in it, can you lose points if nipples pop out -lol- Other people are having issues with uniforms also. Dress rehearsal is this Sunday and then the Sat after is comp. so I have that much time to fix it -lol- Of course the teams aren't the same from year to year, girls come and go and a lot didn't come back this year and a just a couple of new ones came :( Thanks for the encouragement :)
Can you see if any other team mates have uniform issues and try swapping around? how about a sports bra under the uni so that that will show instead of god forbid her boobs.
Keep in mind since competition is so early compared to the past- everyone is in same boat.. were all not ready, and therefor hopefully levels out the playing field.
Good luck

At rehearsal yesterday I just stuck a spaghetti strap bra under it and the higher ups didn't complain -lol- (I guess this was a last min. change) It's not the only uniform issue, and one of the smaller issues at that.

Well...we compete this Saturday and I'm freaking out. My girls have yet to hit their routine, so we've added two extra practices outside just for cleaning, so we can use our mat time on stunts and tumbling. One of my tumblers might have broken her finger...so that would be two out of three tumblers out for this competition. Yippee...I'm sure we'll pull it together but it's just like jkhgfcdxszdfxcghv right now.

We competed sat- due to the hurrican many teams didnt come so we added our jr team into the competition friday night- every team did great for their first time out as allstars- we still have work to do and lots of cleaning up- but just something about them putting on the uniforms that changes them from ok to wow. Very proud of my whole program. Hopeing the same for you all.

Back