Where Are Your Top Choices For Cheering In College?

Discussion in 'College Cheerleading, NCATA, & STUNT' started by Mer_bear20, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    For the girls/guys in high school that are looking to cheer in college what schools are your top choices? I have

As of right now mine are (in no order)
    -Ole Miss
    -Alabama
    - southern cal
    -Georgia
    -UCLA(dream school)
    -Harvard(for my families sake I include this, even though I'm far from ivy league material)
    -Duke
    I'm pretty sure I am to dumb for most of these schools though ‍♀️‍♀️

2. dat.jpp

dat.jpp Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Kutztown
    Delaware Valley University
    Wilmington University
    West Chester University

3. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Just putting out there that Lindenwood university offers cheer scholarships, has 4 teams (two advanced and two intermediate), and has won 6 national titles in the past 5 seasons. I’m biased obvi, but they’re definitely a school to consider.

Edit: There is also three cheer gyms in the STL area that offer open cheer teams that compete at worlds: Platinum Athletics, Cheer Legendz, and Cheer St Louis. So if you want to continue to cheer theres a large open coed 5, a large open coed 6, and a coed non-tumble 5 within driving distance!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  4. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    No one should be choosing a college for cheer unless the college will pay for you to cheer, and we all know cheer scholarships are few and far between.

With that said, someone wanting to win NCA compared to someone wanting to have an incredible game day experience every football and/or basketball game, and someone wanting to be required to cheer all star along with college cheer and/or practice 20 hours a week compared to someone wanting to be able to have cheer compliment other college experiences such as greek life, clubs, etc are going to have completely different answers to your question.

5. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Oh, I was just asking a question to see what different schools people would be interested in cheering at, or what is there dream college team to cheer on. I obviously realize there are many factors to why someone would want to cheer in college.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  6. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    That's actually where my cousin is wanting to cheer! It's her dream team and school!

7. Momager

Momager When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    When cp was looking at colleges, she noticed that both Alabama and Georgia were overwhelmingly in state students on cheer. Alabama had few out of state, Georgia had none.

Your list looks like a good list of good schools, not necessarily the top cheer schools. You would do well to study at any of those. Good luck in finding the best school for you!

8. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I didn't mean to sound so witchy! I have seen many people - both parents and kids - who put cheer first on their priority list when it comes to selecting a college and then often times it doesn't work out!

9. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I graduated from there and have nothing but amazing things to say about the program and my overall experience! I was proud to be there when the winning really started and to have been a small part of building that legacy of success. It is an amazing program!

10. Kentucky Girl

Kentucky Girl I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    By contrast, Kentucky has plenty of cheerleaders from out-of-state and not only that, from other countries as well like the one guy they had from Croatia.

11. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Yea I have noticed that as well! My family and are planning to go to game days at the different schools I would be interested in cheering at, as well as touring the campus to see where I feel at home.

12. p.o.k.

p.o.k. When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

My daughter retired all star and now retired collegiate cheerleader cheered at Ole Miss for 4 years. She loved it! Game day is a whole different animal in the SEC - especially Ole Miss (The Grove). To think she is a native Californian that chose Ole Miss.