Where Are Your Top Choices For Cheering In College?

Discussion in 'College Cheerleading, NCATA, & STUNT' started by Mer_bear20, Oct 5, 2019.

1. dat.jpp

dat.jpp Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I'm now looking at 10 colleges to choose from after I transfer from my community college... I still got 3 years to figure out which one.

Albright College
    Delaware Valley University
    Gwynedd Mercy
    Keystone College
    Kutztown
    Montclair State University
    Penn State Abington
    Rutgers
    West Chester University
    Wilmington University

If anyone can give me information about any of these cheer programs or have any experience with any of them, please message me! Ideally, I'm looking to compete, if not, that's ok too.

2. Momager

Momager When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    A former teammate of cp's went to Wilmington and loved it. She competed in partner stunt in addition to coed. I don't have any more info about what exactly she loved about it though.

3. Momager

Momager When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    They moved to D1 last year and took the ring!
    U of L in 1A is also a perennial winner and offers a great game day experience in a big stadium, a tournament bound basketball team and a very "sports supported" campus experience.

4. Kentucky Girl

Kentucky Girl I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    Wilmington has won the UCA Small Coed II title for the last nine years. They're a lot like Kentucky and Sheldon State when it comes to cheerleading dynasties.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Well this week has consisted of college visits and tours, and many fligh
    I started off by doing unofficial visits to UCLA and USC on Sunday. I say unofficial because my two cousins who each attend one of these schools showed us around the campus. I didn’t have the at home feeling at either school. We then flew out to Atlanta, Georgia to visit Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Duke. Once again at Alabama, Ole Miss, and Duke I just didn’t have that this is home and where I belong feeling so by this point I’m convinced I’m not meant for college. My twin sister on the other hand feel completely in love with Ole Miss, and realized that’s where she felt at home, and where she is meant to go. Well yesterday we went to visit Georgia, and I finally had that this is where I belong feeling(the one school I convinced myself I would not like at all.) There is just something about the University of Georgia and Athens that I feel in love with. So I guess when people say you will know when you find the right college because you will have that feeling is true. The crazy thing about all of this is that I think it has finally hit my parents that their two oldest girls will be leaving for college in January(we are both graduating high school early!!!) and they are kinda sorta turning in to emotional wrecks...is that normal or are my parents just not ready for the oldest two to grow up? But I just hope that everything works out for both my sister and I, and that we both get into our schools of choice. Crazy thing is it hasn’t hit either one of yet that we finish high school in December and will be starting college...so I’m not nervous yet about that just nervous and scared that I won’t get into Georgia...a school I never knew I was meant to call home.

6. DonnaM

DonnaM I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It's too late to apply for admission for Spring semester at anywhere but a community college at this point. Registration for second semester classes will start in early November at most colleges, and even if a school has rolling admissions, it is unlikely you'd be able to get housing, or any significant financial aid or scholarships as a late admit. And if you take any college classes anywhere after graduating high school, you are considered a transfer, which tends to do less than good things to scholarship eligibility. If you can delay graduation until Spring, and take a few dual enrollment classes, especially if your state has free or low cost DE might be a better choice. Or do a gap semester.

UGA has some really, really good scholarships with November 1 deadlines, so you may want to see if those look like a good match for you (3.9 core GPA, 33 ACT/1460 SAT-R). You would need to get your UGA app in this week to be eligible. If you're not going for those, you have until Jan 1.

Good Luck-UGA is a great school.

7. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I don't want to discourage anyone but do want to set expectations. UGA is ridiculously hard to get in to if you are out of state. My daughter was interested and with her 4.3 weighted GPA and just below 1300 SAT scores she wasn't even a consideration. A friend applied and she had over 1400 SAT score and an even higher GPA and was declined. Their in state scholarship offerings make it so there are very little spots available for out of state. With that said, it is still worth applying to if it is anyone's dream school.

8. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    And to anyone wondering because I don’t think I ever mentioned but I did apply early decision for the schools I had interest in attending.

9. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I currently have a 4.85 gpa and I received a 1500 on the sat. I wanted to retake it though to see if I could gain a higher score. I am not trying to brag or boast though about my gpa or sat scores though. I feel very confident in that I will get into UGA. I also am hopeful that all the extracurricular activities, clubs, and charity work I have done will be a stand out on my application.

10. CLynn

CLynn I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    You mean early action? You can only ED to one school, and if admitted that is generally considered binding. But more to the point, great school Georgia! Sounds as if you have done very well, gl!

11. Mer_bear20

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Yea that’s what I meant. I’m can be a bit dumb and ditzy at times lol....I’m also running on like 3 hours of sleep.

12. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That's awesome! And you're not bragging - and even if you were you deserve to with those scores and grades!

13. AScheer

AScheer Slow your roll, Sparkle. Worlds T-Shirt Designer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'm way past college age! If I were choosing a cheer school though, I'd probably choose CBU or Oklahoma State.

14. NCCheerMama

NCCheerMama Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes. Cheer in colleges across the board is different. Most SEC schools except S. Carolina are UCA cheer-more stunt heavy than tumbling. Schools like S. Carolina. Louisville and NCSU are NCA which is most like All Stars. My oldest cheered 4 years at NCSU and had great gameday and amazing comp experiences. FYI-Duke is ground bound. My mid kid got into Alabama and Ole Miss but prob won’t cheer. She took a year off from all stars this year and really has not tumbled. But for sure look for the school where you feel you would best feel successful and cheer will follow if that is part of the equation.

15. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Does Texas have any UCA College Cheer teams? I am familiar with their NCA College Cheer teams.