All-Star Where Do Students Come From?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 31, 2011
This is a question for gym owners out there. So many programs I hear about are buy-outs, branch offs, or re-brands of another program. So, if you were to start a brand new program, where do/did you get your students from, especially if there are other Allstar programs within a 30-45 minute radius

A lot of new programs I've heard of are just old programs with a new name and new staff so essentially when those new owners "buy" the program, they buy who comes with it.

Connections.....If the new gym owner was a tumbling coach for a local high school, ymca center, rec center, etc. then people feel comfortable following the coach and making the transition from that place to the new local gym for tumbling and eventually possibly all star teams. Additionally, if there is an unmet market (such as no gym being within 30 minutes of a high school/community,etc.) then people will try out the gym because it is close (especially if there is a free trial class). Many parents of sideline cheerleaders aren't willing to drive very far to put their kid in tumbling classes, so it's a good way to start getting students. After that base, through good reputation and word of mouth the program will build.

Our gym has 2 new locations this season. The first is a partnership with a gymnastics facility about an hour away that will have half-year teams this season. The other one is a tumbling facility about 30 minutes from our main gym. Our youth 5 coach from last season & her husband (prior tumbling coach at our gym) opened up a tumbling gym, and are having allstar teams based out of their gym, but under the umbrella of the organization. Both of the towns are as described above, smaller with no allstar teams within what many parents would consider a reasonable distance. There is also a strong cheer presence in both of those towns, so I suspect the programs will be successful.

My biggest fear of opening a brand new gym would be that I wouldn't get enough kids to form a team.

most all-star teams near me get their athletes from rec programs like pop warner. For example they get the pop warner teams in their gyms for stunt clinics and help on tumbling and after the athletes get sick of rec they transition into allstars with the teams that usually help them

I know when gyms host kiddie camps, they get alot of new students because the kids realize how much fun tumbling is! When the I worked at a local gym, they got kids to sign up for teams by emphasizing the free tumbling class each week that came with Allstar tuition. That's mainly for getting new younger students!

Latest posts

Back