High School Which High School Camp Will Your Squad Be Attending This Summer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Coach who went to an NCA camp this year here. I think it's variable on the camp. Our buddy asked us if there was anyone they'd skip over that they'd like us to look at. There is no number or amount of nominations per team nor was there a tumbling requirement.

Yeah I didn't think there was. That's really discouraging. We had a great time and learned a lot but the all-American thing was super confusing. I'm starting to think it was the buddies matter of opinion and especially after we expressed we had a senior and a junior interested in trying out it just seemed kind of odd.

When I was on NCA staff that wasn't the case, I believe that is how UCA staff does their nominations. But like I said, it has been a while so I could definitely be wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCA All American tryouts, either all your seniors can tryout OR you can pick up to 6 girls on your team to tryout. The staff doesn't have any say on who tries out and who doesn't, we just judge the tryout

MASS CONFUSION.

For NCA All American, did they change the requirements to even just be considered for nomination ?
Our buddy asked us who had "running tucks" and we told him which was 2/23 girls going into their sophomore year - we then said we have lots of seniors and juniors interested and he said he was only nominating girls with tucks.

WELL, when we watched all-American try outs I saw girls go up there, do a cheer and jump, and then sit down. No tucks.
So sure enough my seniors and juniors looked at me like I had failed them because they are under the impression I chose those two underclassmen. I would have had all 5 at least be nominated for the experience.

I am trying to figure out if this was our buddy's matter of opinion and we failed our seniors as coaches, or if they only nominate girls with running tucks? No the upperclassmen wouldn't have received an all American award but, I just found it to be super strange and not very clear on if he only nominates people with tucks under requirement? or if it was his own prerogative/opinion like, "why nominate a girl if she isn't going to get it"

Disclaimer - I don't think that everyone deserves a trophy, or just because they are seniors they should just get a ribbon. I just found it to be strange.
I am so sorry that you didn't have the greatest experience with our All American process! :( Personally, I am not a fan of nominating for tumbling, only because I've seen too many girls not ready to throw skills try to throw it solely to be nominated. It can get to be a little scary at times.

We nominate in 6 areas: stunting, dance, motion, jumps, tumbling, and leadership, so we do have times when athletes are nominated for All American without any tumbling, and can even make the All American team without tumbling! I'm so sorry that your seniors were not nominated even after you expressed their interest. If you would like to, please send me a PM to tell me more, and I can put you through the proper channels to voice your opinion to someone higher up!

ETA: I am not a speed staffer, I am a traditional camp staffer so that's how our nominations work at a traditional or performance camp. I took a few minutes to try and find if there are any differences between our tryout and speed's. Unfortunately there are differences. The speed tryout mirrors the collegiate All American tryout more so than traditional tryout. Here is a link to read more about it!
http://nca.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Camps/speed_camp_all_american_process.pdf
NCA All-American

Last edited:
MASS CONFUSION.

For NCA All American, did they change the requirements to even just be considered for nomination ?
Our buddy asked us who had "running tucks" and we told him which was 2/23 girls going into their sophomore year - we then said we have lots of seniors and juniors interested and he said he was only nominating girls with tucks.

WELL, when we watched all-American try outs I saw girls go up there, do a cheer and jump, and then sit down. No tucks.
So sure enough my seniors and juniors looked at me like I had failed them because they are under the impression I chose those two underclassmen. I would have had all 5 at least be nominated for the experience.

I am trying to figure out if this was our buddy's matter of opinion and we failed our seniors as coaches, or if they only nominate girls with running tucks? No the upperclassmen wouldn't have received an all American award but, I just found it to be super strange and not very clear on if he only nominates people with tucks under requirement? or if it was his own prerogative/opinion like, "why nominate a girl if she isn't going to get it"

Disclaimer - I don't think that everyone deserves a trophy, or just because they are seniors they should just get a ribbon. I just found it to be strange.
It's been a while since I've been to NCA camp. All American was one of the things that I found disappointing. It was my first NCA camp, I was only used to UCA prior. So when our buddy asked me who to nominate, I told them to nominate those they think are worthy. I wasn't aware coaches were involved. What I didn't know until later is many coaches made the buddy nominate certain people and even the whole team. So our girls and parents were quite annoyed when our main rival school had the full squad get nominated (and later submit it to a newspaper article announcing such an accomplishment.) Only a couple of girls on that team made it because the rest shouldn't have been nominated to begin with. It all just rubbed me the wrong way. Not all teams did this, but there were at least 3 full teams nominated because the coach told the buddy they had to. I was in shock in the coaches room as I sat there and heard the coaches tell in a not so pleasant way what their buddy would and wouldn't do. I'm not sure if it is still handled the same way, or if they still cater to such coaches, but it took all the honor and prestige out of it for me. Or maybe I just went to a camp with a lot of "difficult" coaches.

It's been a while since I've been to NCA camp. All American was one of the things that I found disappointing. It was my first NCA camp, I was only used to UCA prior. So when our buddy asked me who to nominate, I told them to nominate those they think are worthy. I wasn't aware coaches were involved. What I didn't know until later is many coaches made the buddy nominate certain people and even the whole team. So our girls and parents were quite annoyed when our main rival school had the full squad get nominated (and later submit it to a newspaper article announcing such an accomplishment.) Only a couple of girls on that team made it because the rest shouldn't have been nominated to begin with. It all just rubbed me the wrong way. Not all teams did this, but there were at least 3 full teams nominated because the coach told the buddy they had to. I was in shock in the coaches room as I sat there and heard the coaches tell in a not so pleasant way what their buddy would and wouldn't do. I'm not sure if it is still handled the same way, or if they still cater to such coaches, but it took all the honor and prestige out of it for me. Or maybe I just went to a camp with a lot of "difficult" coaches.
I'm certainly not trying to be difficult.. I am not sure if that is what you were trying to imply but if not that's ok.
I just was concerned that 3 deserving girls didn't get nominated over matter of opinion or if that was a rule :)

I'm certainly not trying to be difficult.. I am not sure if that is what you were trying to imply but if not that's ok.
I just was concerned that 3 deserving girls didn't get nominated over matter of opinion or if that was a rule :)
No, not implying you were difficult at all! It sounds like you were like me. I watched other coaches make buddy's choose entire squads full of girls deserving or not. My kids and parents looked at me like your kids looked at you.

No, not implying you were difficult at all! It sounds like you were like me. I watched other coaches make buddy's choose entire squads full of girls deserving or not. My kids and parents looked at me like your kids looked at you.
Oh yes yes, omg I felt so bad ! My girls are in a rebuilding year after getting a new coach (me) Last year, they are GOOD but they aren't really competitive right now. In NH you have to make top 8 to go to states and they are getting like 9-12 out of 14 teams. We teach them that not everyone gets a trophy however you can still aim to win. The 3 girls that had their hearts set on even just getting nominated looked at me like I failed them and sadly, It wasn't my fault :/

I actually didn't even say anything AT the camp because I didn't want to be THAT coach and by the time I regretted that decision it was too late.

I am not discrediting the two girls that did get all-American, every single person on our team cheered for them and helped them - they deserve it as they are my only two tumblers with tucks but...

I think the really bee sting here is the fact this happened on a matter of opinion.

I am so sorry that you didn't have the greatest experience with our All American process! :( Personally, I am not a fan of nominating for tumbling, only because I've seen too many girls not ready to throw skills try to throw it solely to be nominated. It can get to be a little scary at times.

We nominate in 6 areas: stunting, dance, motion, jumps, tumbling, and leadership, so we do have times when athletes are nominated for All American without any tumbling, and can even make the All American team without tumbling! I'm so sorry that your seniors were not nominated even after you expressed their interest. If you would like to, please send me a PM to tell me more, and I can put you through the proper channels to voice your opinion to someone higher up!

ETA: I am not a speed staffer, I am a traditional camp staffer so that's how our nominations work at a traditional or performance camp. I took a few minutes to try and find if there are any differences between our tryout and speed's. Unfortunately there are differences. The speed tryout mirrors the collegiate All American tryout more so than traditional tryout. Here is a link to read more about it!
http://nca.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Camps/speed_camp_all_american_process.pdf
NCA All-American
I will message you :)

@yooolizzi, my daughter is a freshman and her cheer squad is doing NCA camp. Yesterday, 1st day of camp, she came home from camp with a ribbon- she was nominated for All American for Dance. The problem is, she did not understand what this meant and what the next step? I was just curious, do NCA staff explain these things to the cheerleaders and what are the procedures after being nominated?

Thank you for any information on this matter...

@yooolizzi, my daughter is a freshman and her cheer squad is doing NCA camp. Yesterday, 1st day of camp, she came home from camp with a ribbon- she was nominated for All American for Dance. The problem is, she did not understand what this meant and what the next step? I was just curious, do NCA staff explain these things to the cheerleaders and what are the procedures after being nominated?

Thank you for any information on this matter...
I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner! Yes, we do explain our ribbons in the very beginning of camp. Sometimes kids are so excited to start that they don't remember us doing our ribbon talk right after introductions are finished. With her nomination, she is now eligible to attend a Varsity Special Event! Which event she is eligible for depends on her grade but that information should have been given to coaches if it wasn't directly relayed to your daughter. Sometimes we are able to give out booklets to our All American nominees and team about what they are eligible for, but it's harder at home camps if they don't send enough papers to hand out.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner! Yes, we do explain our ribbons in the very beginning of camp. Sometimes kids are so excited to start that they don't remember us doing our ribbon talk right after introductions are finished. With her nomination, she is now eligible to attend a Varsity Special Event! Which event she is eligible for depends on her grade but that information should have been given to coaches if it wasn't directly relayed to your daughter. Sometimes we are able to give out booklets to our All American nominees and team about what they are eligible for, but it's harder at home camps if they don't send enough papers to hand out.
Thank you for this info...Actually, the very next day of camp, they had tryouts for All-American and she came home with the special event booklet and all info., she qualified for a Philly trip... She mentioned, the 3 upperclassmen won Disney trip and the team captain and senior was given the London packet...Wow, this is so cool!

PS: WooHoo, I finally after 18 years able to get out of cooking Thanksgiving meal...:D

Last edited:
Does anyone know or have any advice on sleep over or travel camps that offer a happy medium of learning and bettering skill, while also getting that team bonding and team leadership aspect ??

Does anyone know or have any advice on sleep over or travel camps that offer a happy medium of learning and bettering skill, while also getting that team bonding and team leadership aspect ??

What area of the country are you in? The best would be a camp held in a traditional summer camp (cabins, giant fields, etc.). Everyone sharing the cabin makes it like a giant 3 day sleepover and the amenities are always good.

What area of the country are you in? The best would be a camp held in a traditional summer camp (cabins, giant fields, etc.). Everyone sharing the cabin makes it like a giant 3 day sleepover and the amenities are always good.
I'm in NH, USA
I was just trying to find a happy medium between NCA Camps and Speed Camp - We don't care for band dances and learning sidelines and also creating a routine that we are never going to use, but we want to do a sleep a way camp to force them to bond and come together..

Back